Six Ages: King of Dragon Pass for the 21st Century

Yes I don’t quite understand that criticism either. Ride like the Wind sure improved over KoDP, be it because of its revised priorities or clearer UI. But I never fought against it in either game.

I own the original KoDP.
When the mobile port was released on Steam I bought it again because I think it’s an exceptional game (also it’s cheap and doesn’t really age as a game).

Despite buying the game out of fan-support I found the port’s UI so insufferable I refunded it. Compared to the original PC version UI and control are extremely cumbersome and lacking in functionality. I found it actively painful to use.
Almost all the negative Steam reviews (and even lots of the positive ones) specifically mention the UI and bad quality port as well so I don’t feel these are the ramblings of a madman.

I’m a mobile Luddite and have not played Ride like the Wind yet. Maybe it really improved on the first game’s mobile version. With the mobile version being front and center for the developer I’m just worried it didn’t.

I’m pretty sure the UI is almost identical, at least on iOS. I’ll be surprised if that isn’t also the case for the PC port. But to be honest, I also find the UI of the original kodp to be almost identical to the updated version. I think the UI is fine, btw

It’s great that Six Ages is finally coming out for PC. I’ve been following it for years, hoping it would be coming out for PC or android, so I could finally play it. Last month I finally caved and bought an iPad, so it figures it’s releasing on steam now. I’ll probably buy it there, too.

PC version is out on Steam now!

Man, I love these games so much.

Still no word on android port?

Nope.

Oh, you can purchase the soundtrack on Steam… Too bad Valve is stupid and won’t let you buy a soundtrack without buying the game first. And because stupidity is contagious, especially amongst greedy twarts, of course that horror GOG also requires you to buy a game to get a soundtrack.

For what it’s worth:

https://twitter.com/SteamDB/status/1184394870443724800

Dang, if they had released it a day later!

It’s also out on GOG, if you prefer DRM-free:

https://www.gog.com/game/six_ages_ride_like_the_wind

Any idea how touch controls work on this PC version? I’d like to play on my Surface, but don’t want a mouse/keyboard /etc. in my way. Or should I wait for the unannounced Android port (years later, like the first game)?

Not that anyone here needed any extra incentive to purchase the game, but the PC reviews are off to a good start with high praise from PC Gamer.

I have no idea what that “update for the modern world” thing is about (as the review notes, it plays almost identically to KoDP), but maybe they are talking about this, which is relevant to some people’s interests:

unlike the 2015 Steam re-release of Dragon Pass, it feels like it has been designed to be used with a mouse instead of a touch screen

or maybe it’s just headline BS as usual.

On my radar, will no doubt buy soon!

From what I read, they added tool tips. Other than that it’s essentially the same game.

So I played KoDP a few years ago and bounced off it a bit, but want to give it another go. Is Six Ages enough of an evolution that I should just play it instead?

It’s tough to recommend from a gameplay perspective. It’s more straightforward, but it still requires you to do your homework. If you’re a Glorantha fan, the setting and ideas of Six Ages are just amazing.

What left me cold in KoDP was having to memorize the legends. Is that still part of the gameplay?

Yes and no. You had to learn what the myths were trying to convey, not what was exactly happening, which I thought was a brilliant representation of oral tradition and varieties in mythologies and a nice way to introduce the world. There is the same mechanic here, although I think it’s not as crucial as it was in KoDP, given that the relations of the people with the gods are different.
But both are games about a people’s lore and their world view, so if that aspect doesn’t hold interest for you, I think it’s perfectly fine to not enjoy them.