Six Ages: King of Dragon Pass for the 21st Century

Yes. Glorantha is where the ducks live.

And they do live well!

… Wait, that’s banshees.

Man Duck lovers, the lot of you.

Show some respect. If we hadn’t had the Ducks with us on Guadalcanal, we’d all be speaking Japanese.

As @Left_Empty notes above, this comes out on Thursday, at least on iOS. Not sure if there are plans for other platforms. Who will be buying? I kinda bounced off of KoDP, and this looks pretty much identical. EDIT: @Miguk’s post above gives me hope.

Here’s a preview on Pocket Tactics:
https://www.pockettactics.com/articles/six-ages-ios-preview/

I read that preview which seemed somewhat unenthusiastic (basically it said the game didn’t change). I will grab it on release, probably using an awkwardly long (16 hours!) flying trip as an excuse.
You can actually preorder the game. No idea Apple allowed that. I wonder how that works when the software is released.

According to their announcement:

We’re currently developing the game for other platforms, and expect to release them next year.

Hopefully that includes PC. If it doesn’t, I’m going to hijack an airliner in protest.

The preview makes it sound like more of the same but with some of KoDP’s flaws fixed. That’s exactly what I want.

I will but it even if I never play it. I want to support David Dunham.

It’s 1:40am here
Not quite quarter to three but i hardly get absorbed into games to the point of losing track of time. The Kodp magic is still there.
Sadly to some, the game still feels vague and floaty: you are still asked often to send or sacrifice a # of things/people/ animals with next too zero indications.
I failed my first rituals ( the local hero quests), the first one right from the start because of inappropriate sacrifices…

Still amazing. the characterization is incredible.
The relations between the clans in the featured people is quite different from the pugilistic Orlanthi too. I am surprised to not spend half my time raiding or defending against raids so far!

But this is really the same Kodp in a different setting. If you didn’t like the previous game, you are insane, and i don’t see you enjoying this one.

Sorry for the poor write up, but i am doing it from the phone in bed, and am off to sleep!

The thing that bugged me about the original game is that it felt like you were supposed to experiment a lot to figure things out, but it wasn’t necessarily the sort of game I wanted to play over and over and over. The amount of info you’d have to acquire to do some of the major stuff, without resorting to using a guide, seemed quite high as I recall.

There is a message about “the goal is not winning, just experimenting!” right when you boot up the game the first time.
I share your point of view actually, as while I played KoDP extensively over the years, I always played it with some extended interval between games, because the repeating nature of it broke the wonderful illusion.
I never managed to fund a kingdom, or do anything remotely productive in that game anyway.
Six Ages also inform you from the start that you will not be told what the ultimate goal of the game is. Lots of mysteries!

It would be cool if there were (and maybe there are) lots of different end game states you might think of as successful, with new ones becoming more accessible as you learn more, sort of like what you find in some visual novels and rpgs.

That is such an acute remark!
I had never thought about it, but it is true it was always a bit of a downer that the game ended with your total failure (or success, for the gentlemen so good at this game, I guess). Multi-endings would have improved upon that tremendously, as well as providing some sort of alternative ways to play.
Now I am curious to see if (and hoping that) Six Ages implemented this.

Shame on you guys for not savescumming until you can lead your clan to fulfill its destiny.

A little chat with the conscientious and attentive David Dunham at Gamasutra (video optional, it works as audio only).

I spent some more time with the game on the plane, but I spent more time reading stuff related to Glorantha than playing it. He and Robin Laws picked quite a daring time period for the game.

Thank you for posting that!

I finished listening to it, and I found it funny to hear that the people behind Moon Hunters acknowledge’s KodP’s influence on their weird little game during this podcast, in their chatroom. I had definitly linked some similar philosophies while playing that game last month!

Impressions anyone?

Touch Arcade review is glowing – IF you like KoDP.

If you loved the first game, you’re going to love this one, too. If you bounced off the first game, you probably won’t fare any better with Six Ages.

I’m hesitant to pull the trigger for that reason. I’ll pass for now.

Thanks for the impressions @Left_Empty.

I wasn’t really expecting a revamp of the original - I have following the development since David’s first post on his blog. But certainly a more useable interface (those sliders jeez).

David was adamant that releasing first on iOS was critical for the economic success of the game… on twitter he seems quite pleased by sales, so I would expect that the PC release plans haven’t been upset. Nevertheless, reading his tweets I get the impression that he is wary of releasing on Steam. Anyways, that is the impression of an ESL person reading twitter so…