Skull & Bones - Ubisoft Singapore, multiplayer pirate ship battles

Launch trailer from last night.

This time, February 2024 for real!

With this game, it’s not for real until it’s actually released. And, with the way Ubisoft’s going, until it’s released and isn’t then pulled after a few hours and called a “technical error”.

Hehe… Oh man. I just hope they managed to cludge together something playable that isn’t garbarge. After 10 years and countless pivots, its really a wonder it even exists!

Sea of Thieves seems to own the pirate genre at the moment, but it is very specific in its strengths and weaknesses, so there’s certainly space in the genre for a different take. Lets see what they’ve come up with!

@Harkonis enjoyed their beta a lot. So hopefully others will as well.

going to stream it the 15th, I think twitch will have drops to earn a key to play yourself. This beta is time limited to 6 hours per person though.

Oh hey, I got invited to a Skull and Bones closed beta, guess I should start paying attention to this game. Also it allowed me to pick a couple random friends to invite so I invited @Chappers (you’re chappers1977 on Ubisoft, right?)

Thanks, received, I will try to remember to try it this weekend.

I’ve watched a teeny bit of the beta, but am not really interested in playing right now. But I am interested in what people think. So, uh, what do people think of the beta? Given the long tortuous development cycle, does the game have a chance?

I loved it, played/streamed my 6 hours and it left me wanting more. Combat can get chaotic and was quite fun both solo and in a group

I think it’s ok, at least from the couple hours I spent with it. It’s a very nice looking game, and if you’ve played any of the Assassins Creed games that have an element of naval combat then you’re already familiar with the controls. I think because of that I was a little taken aback by the ways the game diverged from the AC template, but overall it felt good to be captain of your own pirate ship.

But one of those ways it’s a bit different from AC games is the apparent lack of melee combat - though again, since I just played a couple hours maybe that gets introduced later. But while you can customize your captain, even dress them up in different outfits, the focus is almost entirely on your ship. Building it, exploring with it, taking out other ships, that sort of thing. Even when you do a ship boarding exercise you are just given the spoils, you won’t take on the enemy crew in hand-to-hand combat.

I kind of thought going in that it would be a bit more of a slightly more realistic Sea of Thieves but it doesn’t seem to be. I don’t think you can get friends to crew a ship with you, they’d just be tooling around with their own ship. Which might be fun, I didn’t play with any other players, though I did get sunk a couple times by other players. But I mean they’re pirates, what are ya gonna do.

Oh and watch out for sharks, they really don’t like ships and will attack you on sight.

no melee combat, and each player is their own ship. Sailing in a fleet is quite fun imo.

Yeah I was hoping for a Black Flag type of experience with melee and climbing, but your character can’t even jump over a barrel, much less hop off your ship and explore random islands. You can’t walk around your own ship.

To my eyes, the graphics look dated. Not terrible just nothing to write home about.

The overall gameplay loop of combat, looting, building up a better ship, dressing up your character… I enjoyed it overall.

Worth $70 though? Nah. This feels like a $30 game to me, especially since there’s no offline mode.

It feels like an F2P game to me.

Yeah I can’t see myself paying actual money to play this. Maybe somewhere down the road on sale but who knows what the community will look like, or if they’ll just yank the servers?

No, whenever I need a little fix of pirate action, Sid Meier’s Pirates is still the place to go.

Or Black Flag. Or Sea Dogs. ;)

Nah, I kinda hate Black Flag. And Sea Dogs is a bit more involved for a “pop in and play” for a few minutes.

Do you mind if I ask why? I’m playing it for the first time and absolutely loving it.

But yeah, just to jump in and play? 2005 Pirates is pretty unbeatable.

It’s probably too involved to go into here, If you want we can take up this discussion in a Black Flag thread. In short, I don’t think it’s a bad game, it just really bugs me for several reasons.

Is anyone playing this now that it’s officially out? Thoughts?

According to my massive search. (Google) it’s not launching till February 16 of this year. So I don’t think us rank and file people are playing it at this moment.