Skull Canyon NUC box

Successor is coming out, with the weird integrated castrated Vega on-package. Given that it only has 24 CUs, would expect it to be 24/56= 43% as fast as a Vega 56, best-case scenario. But it’s also clocked slower on the GPU and the RAM is clocked at half the speed of the Vega 56. So… maybe like a RX 560/GTX 1050, at best?

$999 seems like a lot for that performance level, plus another couple hundies for RAM and storage, but then some people paid that much for an integrated intel GPU!

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12226/intels-hades-canyon-nucs-with-radeon-graphics-are-official-799999-shipping-in-spring-2018

Aha yes I was coming here to post that, thanks. The external GPU box works, but it is a lot of… stuff. Compactness is a virtue.

Radeon RX Vega M GH
24 CUs, 64 PPC
1063-1190MHz GPU, 800MHz Memory
4GB / 1024-bit HBM2
On-Package

And

The footprint of the Hades Canyon NUCs (221mm x 142mm x 39mm / 1.2L) is slightly bigger than the Skull Canyon NUC (216mm x 116mm x 23mm / 0.69L). It is not surprising, given the wealth of extra I/O and the additional cooling requirements for the higher TDP processor. The power adapter also receives a hefty uptick in specifications, moving from 120W to 230W. Customizable RGB lighting for the lid is an attractive feature in the gaming market.

Yeah, Vega 56 has 56 CUs (obviously), GPU clocks up to 1500Mhz, and HBM clocks at 1600Mhz. It’s roughly the same speed as a GTX 1070.

I went ahead and pre-ordered a Hades Canyon (ships in April), I think I want to set it up so my son and I can play Fortnite together. 1080p Fortnite on fairly high detail should be cake for this machine:

This data from Playwares suggests performs like an RX 570, which is more or less what we’d expect given the integrated GPUs stats.

How are the heatsinks/fans on the NUC?

I picked a Gigabyte Brix for $250, it’s Iris Pro in a tiny little cube, and it works great except if you actually try and use the GPU at full capacity it quickly hits 95 degrees, throttles, and the fan spins up insanely. So it’s seems kind of pointless to have that much power in a package that small.

There’s no throttling that I know of, and it’s nowhere near a dustbuster, but I can’t say it’s whisper quiet under full GPU load or anything. I modded my Skull Canyon by cutting out the exhaust grills, butofcourse

RX-570 is pretty good, a bit better than I anticipated. Should be perfectly fine for 1080p gaming.

This is the first integrated GPU that I would consider realistically acceptable for enthusiast-level gaming. What a world we live in, it finally happened!

Roughly, a GTX 970 in performance. Not just perfectly fine for 1080p, but smokes 1080p. A bit underpowered for 1440p. Really a giant step ahead for iGPUs. Which makes sense because it isn’t really an iGPU, it’s an entire cut-down Vega on the same package.

They aren’t giving it away at $999 bare-bones without RAM or SSD, but unlike last year’s model, this one is a truly capable gaming platform in that extremely small form factor.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12572/the-intel-hades-canyon-nuc8i7hvk-review-kaby-lakeg-benchmarked

Nice, but remember the original Skull Canyon was “only” $599 as I recall (actually $650 but often sold for around $600). Hades Canyon, at least the fancy model with the fancy GPU, is almost a 50% increase in price.

Hades got pushed back to end of May, but I think I will bite for the living room, maybe I can decommission my thunderbolt external GPU rig there as the bump in perf over Skull (which was not exactly chopped liver itself!) will be “enough”.

the Core i7-8809G turns in average frame rates and 99th-percentile frame times that fall between those of a desktop GeForce GTX 1050 Ti and a mobile GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB overall. That kind of performance is good for pleasant 1920x1080 gaming at high settings in most of today’s titles, and the Radeon RX Vega M GH’s support for widely-available FreeSync monitors can help smooth out any minor imperfections in frame delivery. Outside of games, the Core i7-8809G’s swift quad-core CPU with Hyper-Threading pulls close with a Core i5-8400 in many workloads. Can’t complain about that.

I had a full fat 1060 GTX in that external GPU enclosure anyways…