Skulls of the Shogun - TBS genre

This is on PC as well as XBLA.

I don’t know the market share of windows 8, but I guess it’s pretty low.

It’s was obvious to everyone that this would be a failure when it was announced as a Windows 8 exclusive.

Looks like I might have been right. Apparently Skulls has Steam achievements now:

http://devinwatson.com/SteamSchema/228960.html

steam registry leaks rarely lie… it would be a rational move.

Again I never questioned that it would come to Steam just a matter of when. The steamworks integration makes sense even Age of Empires uses it and Xbox Live doesn’t work on the desktop.

Oh, hey. Would you look at that?

Not particularly surprising. I mean, there was absolutely no technical reason for it to be Win8 exclusive, since they actually had to change it to Monogame from XNA.

Yippee!

I am glad that a TBS game will have a better chance to make some well deserved money instead of being buried on a non popular platform.

Nice background article at RPS. The money quote:

“When people call Microsoft ‘evil’, while I don’t want to defend them, it’s kind of an undeserved compliment. To be evil, you have to have vision, you have to have communication, execution… None of those are traits are things that I would ascribe to Microsoft Studios.”

“Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.” -Hanlon’s Razor

Yeah… It sucks, but just about everyone everywhere was saying that going Windows 8 exclusive was a bad move. I do feel bad for them, but they really should’ve realized what a horrible idea that was.

I think they’ll make money on Steam, but I think they missed out on a lot of revenue by having to wait so long. This is going to be one of those games that most people pick up on discount down the road rather than at launch.

Yeah, it’s hard not to read that and feel bad for them, but as you said… if any of them had been just a little plugged into the gamers they were trying to sell the game to they would have realized the Win 8 exclusivity was a monumentally bad idea.

I always try to buy good TBS games right away; in this case I will buy it now to give them the most Revenue possible because I want to support good strategy games.

Hopefully, other Core TBSers will do so too now that we can play it on non Win8.

Were they the only ones who thought it would be a good idea? Apparently so.

What’s funny (to me) is that I just upgraded to Windows 8 a few weeks ago and one of my first thoughts was to go buy Skulls of the Shogun. I decided to get the demo first, and I had a lot of fun with it. I didn’t end up buying it, mainly out of laziness, and then a few days later the news broke of it coming to Steam.

I plan on buying it sometime in the next month, but I’m so glad I can buy it on Steam instead of the Win 8 store.

I purchased the game on Steam and it is a lot of fun. Does anyone want to try an async game? I will not be able to keep up during the week as I travel and cannot have te game on my work computer. Once it comes out on iOS than I could keep up. Otherwise on the weekend or when I am home - no probem getting turns in.

I will be an easy victory.

This is a daily sale on Steam for -50%. There hasn’t been much discussion here of the actual game. I wonder if it’s any good?

It’s great! Just to repeat: It is similar to Advanced Wars and Great Little/Big War Game, but with freeform movement instead of grids/hexes. Only 5 units can act on each side per turn, regardless of how many you control, which forces the game to move along at a brisk pace. There are only a handful of unit types (3 soldiers, 3 casters, 1 general), and the maps aren’t to big, so games are relatively short. (Not for me…I stare at the screen and plan for a very long time.) The art is very charming and simple. The game supports mouse+keyboard and 360 gamepad control.

The campaign seems simple to just beat, but each level has 3 gold skull challenges which sometimes sets some very tough conditions. I haven’t finished yet, but it’s easy for me to play sporadically over the past month.

This game is fantastic. Easy to pick up, great art, fairly deep strategy, and even a somewhat entertaining story.

Also, the multiplayer looks like it will be fun.