Skydrive: 7GB (or 25GB) cloud storage

I am sitting here with my Envy 14 ultrabook using both Dropbox and Skydrive documents that I uploaded from other computers. These cloud storage plans are close to being the next best thing to sliced bread as far as I am concerned. I keep class notes/slides/documents and all of my writing projects on both services.

My only sad moment is that I only got the 7 GB free from the Skydrive. I was just about to upgrade my Dropbox account, but the Skydrive plans are more cost effective.

I also found Mesh confusing when it came to trying to back up both my wife’s documents and my own. Skydrive seems much simpler so far, plus cloud backup = win. I got the free 25GB which is awesome, I’m only using 9GB so far but I have another 21GB that I need to whittle down before putting it in there as well.

Thanks for the heads-up.

For those of you who want an easy 8GB extra for your dropbox account, just use setup a free adwords campaign. You’ll have 10GB in under a day.

Hah, that’s very clever, and easier than my solution of signing up multiple times on VMs. More honest, too.

Now that I have around 20GB of music on my SkyDrive, I’m pretty impressed. Mesh always had severe performance problems when it was digging through thousands of files, but SkyDrive managed to sync and upload/download everything from device to device while barely pegging my CPU at all.

Also, I haven’t encountered a single conflict/duplicate created yet. Hopefully it stays that way.

Weird. I’ve never had those performance & duplication problems with Mesh and I have it syncing 20-ish different folders - around 10 gig and thousands of music, pictures, documents, etc - between three computers. It even managed to keep up with my periodic restructuring of my fairly ginormous LEGO cad folder.

But then I’ve never had any of the many famous problems with GFWL either…

I, too, am quite curious what Mesh’s future is in relation to SKyDrive. They really do do different things. It’d be a shame if SkyDrive success killed Mesh.

As someone who has never done anything like that, can you elaborate?

Thanks Denny, I had apparently signed up for Skydrive at some point in the past and promptly forgotten about it. Now I have 25GB free!

Here you go:

Yep, and dropbox doesn’t mind. The opposite is more likely, since they get free publicity and new users.

Awesome – and many thanks!

I was looking into changing to skydrive because the Dropbox space is running low but came into a showstopper, the way skydrive handles shared folders, in Dropbox you can just sync the folder, it replicates the files in both accounts, in Skydrive you can’t sync shared folders you can only access it on the web interface, so going to stick with Dropbox and probably offload stuff that is only for me to Skydrive in order to save space on Dropbox.

Eh? Drop the folder in your skydrive folder, and it’ll replicate. Unless it’s totally broken in a new and interesting way.

Hmm, I have skydrive on multiple computers and all are synched as folders, just like they are in dropbox.

OK I didn’t explained it well.
On Dropbox I have a folder that is shared with another person anything that I put there it appears on both our accounts. On Skydrive if another person shares a folder with me I have to go to the web interface to see the files, you can’t have a folder on the desktop that shares with multiple persons on different accounts you have to use the web interface.

I haven’t tried this on the Touchpad yet, but for you Android folks out there, I ran across this writeup on the Twitters for an free Android SkyDrive app that looks pretty decent:

I was planning on using my free 25GB skydrive space to store old projects and files I’m not currently working on. But the client uploads stuff so fucking slowly, and wrecks my entire net connection as it does it. After a few days of this, I’ve disabled it and moved the stuff back to the dropbox folder, which uploaded it all again quickly with no problems.

So it doesn’t look like I’m going to be dropping my dropbox subscription any time soon after all.

SkyDrive just released the native Android app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.skydrive