Skyforce Reloaded: Best scrolling 2D Shooter for newcomers to the genre?

Hey, I’m just now getting warmed up! No fair drawing inferences from my poor showing on the scoreboard. Yet.

-Tom

@LeeAbe - If cross platform friending is allowed, I’m not smart enough to figure out how. Looks to be just Steam Friends.

@tomchick - Glad to see your still playing. I’ll see if I can stay ahead of you for a while.

The score is the one thing I can’t figure out. I think it’s some kind of cumulative score of all the levels together? Is that right?

That is correct.

Also, the score on each stage uses the “achievement” medals as multipliers. That seems to me to be the key to the Big Points. Which I’ll be racking up shortly, I’m sure.

-Tom

The stages’ boss fights can be a bit hectic, but it’s still manageable for people like us who dislike bullet-hell shooters. These are the first games in the genre I’ve enjoyed since the mid-to-late 80s arcade games (before they all went bullet-hell-y).

I’m 4th and @tomchick is 7th in the US Tournament scores. Unfortunately, only 7 US players have participated in the tournament. That’s a shame, for such a great game, to have a playerbase so lame.

In other words, Tom Chick is ranked dead last. Is that what you’re saying?

I’m on Xbox, and the tournament had more participants than that last week, though I didn’t see how many.

For now, I’ve switched to playing SkyForce Anniversary. It’s not as good as Skyforce Reloaded, but I appreciate having access to more levels, so I was trying to get through Anniversary first before I went back to Reloaded.

Btw Anniversary also has a level 5 where all my weapons were disabled. I had a hell of a time getting through this one. I didn’t have much trouble in Re-loaded, but in Anniversary, this level just gave me fits. I kept dying near the end of the level for 4 or 5 days in a row. I finally got through it this morning.

I like the theme of Anniversary more. The ships/bombers thing I find more visually appealing. The problem is progression seems to be a lot slower for me. In Reloaded I am a badass, in Anniversary I feel like I have to play a lot more to get my plane upgraded. Since I am playing the iOS version, so I paid to clear ads and now I am tempted to pay for double stars. I am playing both games a ton, so I feel like they deserve my money.

The Anniversary version is much more difficult, but wasn’t too bad on iOS. It’s so easy to get precise placement with your finger and inch forward or back as need be that I haven’t bought the Steam/Xbox version because I figured it would be frustrating difficult with a controller.

PC only shows the top 20, so I don’t know if there is a way to find out how many are actually playing if more than 20.

I think I will try Anniversary next, but I still have @krayzkrok in my sights for Reloaded. I’m going to keep working at catching up with him before I switch games.

I’m definitely seeing the end of my ability to score more is approaching.

Are you replaying the old levels? Even if you’ve fully medaled, you can really increase your best score by getting the 20K bonus for all four medals in a single run. Multiplying that by the 15X gives you 300K in bonus on top of the really high score you got by blowing everything up and rescuing all your guys.

Has anyone gotten 100% of stars from a level? I’ve gotten 99% a lot, but never 100. It is on the Bonus List, so I wonder if it too will provide another score increase.

Don’t think my laptop could handle this and I don’t have my controller with me. Otherwise I may join you for the score chase. Maybe in 2019 I’ll play this.

This is on sale again , everyone should be buying it!

@Storz and @BrianRubin I see you both made a correct life choice today. ;)

I’m knee deep in it these days. When I don’t feel like taking a deep dive into RDR2, and just want something light, I fire up Sky Force Reloaded most nights.

Plus it’s kind of comical how hard it is to earn achievements in this game. But that’s okay, because i’m in it for the long haul.

Is so good. Hard.

I just double dipped. Note that there is also a bundle with both games for almost the same price as one game.

Leaderboards…I’ll probably either get it this sale or at Christmas.

Oh no, my solitary gaming existence actually locks me out of tournaments. I’m so sad. If anyone wants to friend DarrenO on Steam I’d really appreciate it. I only need two more, I convinced my son to friend with me this morning! I’m not even sure that is how it works.

Finally beat the first boss.