Skyline: Cloverfield in Los Angeles?

I’ve really enjoyed Eric Balfour in Haven, so maybe I’ll end up seeing this.

Thumbs down. Some cool scenes, but the movie really needed an editor. And some likable characters. If you cut the first five minutes and the last ten minutes it would be an immensely better movie. They should have stuck with trying to make a popcorn movie instead of trying to be more serious and failing at it. The CG is really the most this has going for it.

This movie is impossibly awful. It has a terrible plot (such as it was; yes, it took “alien invasion where people try to survive but the effects are the real show!” and somehow made it not work). In terms of its own internal logic, it makes no sense whatsoever. Things happen for no understandable reason. Other things happen that seem to contradict the conjured-out-of-thin-air plot developments that happened earlier. It has no character development and the characters aren’t that good; the conflict they face among them selves feels forced. It has no meaningful resolution.

I was going to see Unstoppable and changed my mind at the last minute. Every time I have done this in my life it has been a terrible decision. Like the time I decided not to go see I don’t remember what and saw Crow 2 instead.

Dude, Rottentomatoes.com is your friend.

Skyline: 10%
Unstoppable: 85% (which really surprised me)

This film had a cool promo at Comic Con where they had this bubble machine that made little people shaped bubble slabs filled with helium that floated away into the air. Here’s a picture:

Chris

I know rotten tomatoes and already knew how the movies were doing. What was your fucking point?

Dang. Anger. It’s not jerri’s fault you went and subjected your eyes and brain to a festival of crap despite apparently knowing how awful it was going to be. Turn your angry eyes inward.

Why would anyone be excited about this? Their previous movie was none other than the masterpiece called Aliens Versus Predator 2.

AVP2 was a fun movie. Much better than AVP.

Personally, this all sounds awesome. As far as Rotten Tomatoes is concerned… 9 times out of 10 I ignore the critics score and go with the audience. The audience is giving Skyline a 75%.

No anger whatsoever.

But I already established that I made a bad decision. That, in fact, I knew I was making a bad decision before I actually walked into the theater. Who here hasn’t heard of Rotten Tomatoes?

I never thought a movie would make me long for the competence of Independence Day, but this movie did. I saw it on Friday and my brain still feels stunted by the stupidity rays emanating from Skyline.

Dude, I thought AVP2 was great fun. Seeing that chick pinned to the wall by the glaive-disc thing? Awesome.

Skyline was full of fail, because it tried to be really serious, and not stick to the turn-your-brain-off-and-eat-popcorn formula that works best for most monster movies. That, and a huge lack of basic competence in filmmaking.

This movie sucks.

I’m sorry for your loss of time that you will never get back.

I thought I had already posted in this thread chipping in with how shitty it was, but I guess not.

Skyline was shit.

It had that dude from Dexter. And the other dude from Haven. And other dudes and chicks.

It sucked. But hey, we have Battle:LA in just a week or so!

Don’t jinx it, MatthewF!

-xtien

“It’s our only chance!”

Screw you Skyline. Seriously. You sucked. A movie that has someone throwing up in the first two minutes is such an obvious metaphor for what this movie really is. Vomit… spiraling down the toilet that was the last two hours of watching this crapfest.

— Alan

Rate PG-13. Yeah it’s gonna be awesome.

So was The Dark Knight. Does a movie’s rating automatically disqualify it from being good? There’s some fairly brutal shit in both the trailers (beachgoers getting bombed, etc) and the TV spot, so like The Dark Knight, I’m surprised it squeaked by to get that rating.