Skyrim in 2022- new year, 100 new stealth Archers!

So I installed Legacy of the Dragonborn and started a new game using Live Another Life to get the Museum going right away (if you start as a traveler on the docks at Solitude, you start with a letter inviting you to be a Relic Hunter for the Museum and you get the first quest and the safehouse immediately.)

I’ve spent some time in the game doing the typical Skyrim craziness (“I need to get to point A, but on the way, B, C, D and E all happen”), and have only done a bit of Dragonborn Legacy (67 items turned in so far) but Holy Crap the Museum is INSANE - I was tooling around in the “Hall of Science and Nature” and those displays are very cool. The Museum is HUGE, and the player housing with crafting stuff is crazy. It’s the nicest player house I’ve seen so far, easily.

I’m not really sure how to get deeper into the Museum questline - Elf Curator Dude seems to want me to just play normally and bring crap back but I have only a fairly vague notion of what to gather (so far it seems to be “gather EVERYTHING”).

Anyhow, the Museum is cool.

That is correct. Every so often, just go back to the Museum and drop off some relics. At certain total relic counts, story stuff will trigger.

He’ll occasionally give you quests for particular relics but I think that part is mostly just a way to guide you to stuff.

Well I just got the quest that sends me to Elsweyr, and I learned that apparently the entire Moonpath to Elsweyr mod is incorporated inside Dragonborn Legacy. I’ve never tried that; I’ve heard mixed things but I’m going to at least start the quest line and see where it leads.

Oh my eyes! My ears! My brain…

So the contrast between the quality of the Dragonborn Legacy mod and Moonpaths to Elsweyr is… stark.

I feel almost sad for the makes of Moonpaths as they clearly had ambition and creativity but the execution, oh my. It is the jank. Janky janking jank. The voice acting is… not good. The graphics are… not good.

Sigh, I’m gonna have this stupid quest in my log forever, now.

Oh well off to gather more crap so I can trigger further quests. I believe the later Museum stuff is not contingent on Moonpaths so I’ll just press forward.

Poor Moonpaths. They clearly wanted to do something cool…

As I go to sleep after being off here for a few months I should say --I still play Skyrim – I play on legendary not because i am some weird good player but because I just like to play a hard game. Oh I mean Skyrim SE – the additional graphics do look nice.

I dunno why I still play this game. But I do. Moderately modded but transparent.

I think the graphics are probably the best bit, honestly. They’re not perfect, but they are sort of Elsweyr-y? and very different from Skyrim. The problem comes with…well, everything else. But especially the part where it’s clearly not finished in any meaningful way. You can clear everything in the entire mod in probably an hour or less and I guess there’s sort of a central plot in a vague way, but other than that there’s a lot that feels entirely vestigial and that plot does not resolve in any sort of satisfying sense.

I think we all still play. You are much stronger than me if you can plan on legendary. For some reason I like to roll through feeling like an amazingly powerful hero for most of the time, with some white knuckle action occasionally.

With Legendary I’m like, white knuckle even outside of combat because I fear it so much.

I just installed the latest Wabbajack Skyrim VR essentials and it includes the fantastic new HIGGS mod. This mod lets you to pick up objects ingame and has gravity gloves like Alyx. There’s another new mod called MageVR and I think it’s tanking my framerate.

Kristi! Welcome back :) (I’m apparently remarkably slow on the uptake)

Currently I don’t own a computer strong enough to play Skyrim so I’m going through Fallout NV (heavily modded) for the same open world, first person experience. It’s gaming comfort food that is great for the winter.

Dan! Good to see you! Sry about your browns.

Lol yeah its not easy… I am a potion aholic on legendary. Though at some point when you figure it all out it still can get easy… (enchanting/blacksmithing/alchemy = mixed)

Also btw I’ve been playing skyrim se and you know it really does look awful nice. Maybe better than Fallout 4.

Difficulty is so poorly tuned in unmodded skyrim that you pretty much have to mess with the slider depending on your build, gear, and what you’re fighting.

I mentioned fallout 4 there a bit but Ive wondered – there is a lotta negativity towards that game. A few reasons I can guess but wow… why would anyone not want to run through a post apoc boston?

I never can figure out why there is negativity towards skyrim and/or fallout 3 or 4 bethesda.

Must be something I don’t get.

Well, for starters, Bethesda’s take on Fallout is very different from original Fallout, and that game in particular was infamous for having a certain subset of fans who have an even more fundamentalist view on what it should be than the RPG Codex tends to about RPGs in general. (The “No Mutants Allowed” or NMA crew.)

Fallout 4 in particular has a heavy emphasis on crafting and settlement building, but IMO these a) aren’t entertaining gameplay mechanics to start with and b) have almost no integration into the broader game design so feel like they’ve put a lot of cruft into the world without paying it off really despite one of the factions heavily revolving around the settlement stuff. Furthermore, I feel like it really undercuts exploration by making most locations unflagged quest locations where if you just happen to pass through and look around, you’ll not be able to explore a big chunk of it because you have to have the quest to do so, and when you do come back with the quest, all the fighting etc you already did will have been erased. It also gives you power armor almost immediately, which is traditionally a big, big late game powerup, and implements it as this whole separate system instead of the usual “this is armor you wear” approach. There were changes to dialogue that made it a lot less interesting. And finally I think a lot of people think the main quest is pretty weak (though this is true of most Bethesda games).

I know I personally don’t find the idea of tracking down my character’s kid who I was not introduced to as a character in any meaningful sense and who has certainly grown into an adult stranger without any influence from said character very compelling as a plot impetus. But my time with the game (and I do intend to go back eventually, despite having lost my install and thus my saves since I don’t remember what mods I had) did not involve going very deep on the main plot so I can’t comment further about that.

None of this makes Fallout 4 a bad game, necessarily. But I do feel like it makes Fallout 4 a less compelling game than Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and IMO less of a Fallout game as well.

So Skyrimified released its 1.2 version and is again available on Wabbajack. Unfortunately I seem to have come across a unique issue. When I run Skyrimified from Mod Organizer it runs fine but there is no audio at all. Same if I launch Skyrim SE from the same Mod Organizer. If I run Skyrim SE from Steam the audio is fine. I’m still working to figure out what the issue is. Nobody on the discord for either Wabbajack or Mod Organizer has been able to help so far. Lucky me!

Skyrimified looks like a great modlist, so I really hope I can get it figured out.

I had sound issues and had to load directx from an old installer someone linked on a thread about it. That worked perfectly.

If not, there is a long thread on nexusmods with a workaround:

I think the underlying issue is that Steam incorporates specific symbolic links so that sound/graphics work correctly. When we run mod organizers, those run from just the base installed skyrim directory and do not link to drivers correctly, thus the issue.

I tried the symlinks for the two .esp files in the /Data directory last night without any change. I need to try and find a working directx link as all the ones to MS don’t seem to function any longer.

This is the one I got before the links were dropped by MS:

Feel free to grab it if needed.

Hah, I hadn’t checked again until just now when I can to say finding the above file did the trick. I actually found a dropbox link to it from a forum dedicated to windows phones - who knew they were still out there? Thanks for sharing - I wish I had checked back earlier before wasting a lot of time on less fruitful avenues.