Skyrim in 2022- new year, 100 new stealth Archers!

It was not hard at all. Just load mod organizer, search for requiem, disable all those mods. Download ordinator, install that, and then the compatibility patch for apocolypse spells for ordinator and your done.

That doesn’t surprise me though. I think most custom work is just to fix compatibility crashes. Removing something is probably a lot safer then adding. But after a couple weeks with Wabbajack and the big mod packs, I think I am swinging the other way into not using them. Credit where it’s due, Wabbajack let me use two of the big mod guides I would never have bothered to attempt if it didn’t exist. But after careful consideration, I don’t think any of these packs are for me.

I did mention that Lexy’s was very solid. and ran for hours without crashing, etc… And I thought this was the original “sell” for modded Skyrim because, well, it’s Bethesda and anything modded running for hours without a crash is a good thing, right? As I dig deeper into all of these WabbaJack packs however, I am finding a few things I did not realize:

• The modding community has come a long long way in the last few years. Most of the top 100 mods on Nexus are solid as a rock, work well with each other and have patches to work with the thigns they normally conflict with. Nice!

• 600 mods is overkill. It’s cool that it is solid, and it’s cool in the sense that you can be running 600 mods at a time, but I don’t know how necessary it is.

• None of these packs is the be all end all perfect experience for Skyrim. Totally subjective of course, but the key is finding that pack that does most of the stuff you like, and offer the least amount of stuff you have to “live with”

• New tools make is really easy to put together your favorite mod pack as you see fit, and have it relatively safe to play with.

So, after sinking many hours into Lexy’s I’ve come to the conclusion that, like @Sharpe I just don’t need all that stuff in my Skyrim game. First, it’s still too punishing. Requiem is harder I am led to believe, but Lexy’s has everything tuned to level up ungodly slowly. After a many days I was still maybe 16-18? And all of the zone areas were tuned to 40+ range. Even the start dungeons were tuned to 20-25+. It seems to be paced so that you do one thing in each guild quest line and then move on to another guild until you level higher. The Bandits and dragons are tuned as well, and the one shot deaths are killer from across the map… especially when you have to restart every time you die. You can tune a lot of this stuff, but it is fidgety.

And then there’s what I like to call the wife factor. When I first started the pack I made a female character. I like the look of the models more and so I often choose that when playing third person. What I didn’t realize is that I would be watching my character bathe every single game day. On top of that Murphy makes sure that the times when my wife comes into my room to ask me something almost ALWAYS coincide with bath time… You get the idea.

Long story short, I spent the last two days making my own Fozzle mod pack. I remembered what is REALLY cool about modding: You can make your own experience tailored to the things you like. I used Vortex hooked to Nexus, which makes maintaining your list of mods, separate profiles, etc. very easy. A lot less buttons than MO2, and yet still works great. I still ended up with 160 mods or so, but even with all that and no real editing (just some conflict resolution in Vortex is all) I played all day yesterday with 2 crashes. And I think I narrowed down where both came from so my whole evening was crash free. If you haven’t tried using Vortex to do your own thing in awhile, It’s pretty decent. Here’s what I decided to use, let me know if I missed something you think I should try =)

First things I don’t think I need that tipped me over the edge in Lexy’s:
Needs, Bathing, 40+ dragons,A separate texture mod for every single mob type in the game, even more tedious alchemy.

Things I ended up with:

• I am still basing my build off of LoTD. I kind of want to see that museum in all its glory. So I started knowing that. Still using Morrowloot to unlevel.
  • Instead of using Ordinator, Apocalypse I am using some newer mods from SimonMagus: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/users/67410746?tab=user+files - I saw them in another Wabbajack pack and they looked interesting.
  • Added some of the bigg quests I’ve never done and should have, like Helgen, Moon and Stars, Falskaar, Forgotten City, and a few more…
  • I prettied it up, but not too crazy, Cathedral weather, SMIM, the usual stuff.
  • I used Diversity as a basis for my NPC models.
  • I went the Smilodon route for combat, and a number of mod tweaks. Made it harder, but not one shotty. Still died a bunch at level 1 =)

If you care to see my list its at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Pi1aowzYQGUplUDhVdJR8NklNOcG06Yq -

I would love opinions on things I might have missed that are awesome =) My favorite thing so far? Deadly Dragons. Those encounters are much more dramatic now! I am glad I messed with Wabbajack. It made me try Skyrim again and try some of these big packs. At the end of the day however, mod players got to mod.

/ramble_off

Hey guys, know what language is usually spoken by Ash Spawn?

Spawn Ash! yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk

I haven’t played in a long time and I never really “finished” the game to my satisfaction, and I really wanted to try out this Legacy of the Dragonbone that everyone’s talking about, but are you kidding me with some of these mod lists? This one would take a week of evenings just to install…maybe more.

My current plan is to just pick my way through the most important ones on this list and then just install LotD and hope for the best. Does that seem reasonable to Skyrimophiles?

You can look into wabberjack, which supposedly downloads and installs mods for you. I didn’t do it for my recent SkyrimVR setup, but if you’re aiming for a fairly simple modlist it probably will work fine.

No personal experience with it but here’s a guide.

Go for it! After years of playing with mods, it can be refreshing to play with a minimal list. If nothing else, it’ll reset your expectations for what needs to be modded. Helped me realize how much time I spent messing with mods that had a trivial impact on gameplay.

If I fuck this up, I will definitely look into it. Having an automated mod solution seems way overdue.

Yeah I still play Skyrim. Currently playing a very simple barbarian nord on legendary. Very lightly modded. Running around Falkreath picking flowers, mining, and running for my life.

I decided to go with some aesthetic mods but nothing else. Kinda the worst of both worlds because I don’t get chievos but I also don’t get any mod help with what and such. But I am really liking it. 15 hours in I am still just level 12 and looking to maybe buy a home in Falkreath. My Favorite area.

As an aside when first played Skyrim I thought that Falkreath was the whole game. Little did I realize how large it was.

(Mods are only hair, body, and barbarian steel armour --very lightly modded. I tend to get carried away with mods so I went light light).

There’s a mod that just re-enables achievements, which you should install.

Oh Malk I know that. Ty for reminding me but I have to say – if you enable mods you probably shouldn’t get achievements. I mean I agree with that idea. I like the idea of a light mod run. Plus wow legendary skyrim is pretty durn hard to start with at least. Well, and in the middle as well.

If you haven’t already, you should check out Paul England’s Skyrim builds. He has many variations on simple Nord barbarians, including an Atmoran Totem series of quick builds using only 2-3 skills. I’ve used variations on his Clever Man and Arrowsworn and had fun with both.

Edit: looks like all the links from that first page are dead, but I’m going to leave it up since it’s a good summary of the guy’s work. I added links to the Clever Man and Arrowsworn, and could probably find the others if you’re interested.

Carto interesting yes some of those links came through.

So I am playing a simple nord barbarian two-hander build – but with no shouts. On legendary. So I am NOT killing dragons at all.

I am going to go to those dragon places without ever killing that first dragon. Those builds seem like they depend on shouts.

Just the basic shout is a huge advantage. Without shouts? Well… you can go anywhere but it is a bunch harder.

To clarify: I am not starting up the dragon thing quest. You can non-dragon quest if you want. It is sorta interesting because all the old dragon places are … lets say this …unique.

Plus I have plenty of time now since damn my eyes I am positive, so I guess ill just play skyrim for a few weeks.

Unbelievable.

I am glad I started Skyrim Everything Edition or whatever it’s called shortly before shelter in place began hereabouts. What a great game world — so many little places to explore, so much more openly than modern Fallout games.

I found Solstheim particularly great. I though going and killing those star-masked cultists on their island was just going to be one area, no different than a large dungeon — I had been there a while doing all kinds of shit and thought Man, this is almost its own game! when suddenly it occurred to me that maybe it was an expansion, hee hee hee. Now I’m back in Skyrim picking up threads I neglected much much earlier in the game. But I’m thinking maybe I should go do the vampire expansion before I get too powerful (I’m level 50 and chopping the head off every motherfucker who steps up).

I feel no desire to play any mods, unless they provide whole new worlds and plots.

Some do. Welcome to the hole – say hi to the other rabbits ;)

For example: Falskaar, Moonpath to Elsweyr, Project AHO, Moon and Star. Others, I’m sure. And at least three of those add a big chunk of world, not just quests. There are also quests in a bunch of other mods.

I did not know that. People usually talk about graphics stuff, and gameplay changes and I was uninterested in that stuff as well.

I have not read the thread, apologies if I’m stepping on anything.

This came up in @ooomalley’s looking-for-an-RPG thread so I thought I’d bump a Skyrim thread to talk about modding.

I’m currently running a pretty light load. You can get way deeper than this, but I’m happy with the balance here.

Note you are going to want to launch your game through the SKSE64 loader (Skyrim Script Extender). If nothing else, SkyUI depends on it and I will not play Skyrim on PC without SkyUI.

All installed from NexusMods through the free version of their generally decent Vortex app:

Give Me X Or Give Me Death

SkyUI

Critical Enhancements

Apocalypse (massively improved magic)
Ars Metallica (massively improved smithing)
Morrowloot Ultimate (massively improved loot and enemy-spawning/leveling)
Improved Daedric Artifacts
Ordinator (massively improved perk trees)
Simple Magic Rebalance
Summermyst (massively expanded enchantment list)
Unofficial Skyrim SSE Patch

Quality of Life

AchievementModsEnabler
Acquisitive Soul Gems Multithreaded
Alternate Start
Better Dialogue Controls
Unread Books Glow

Fluff

A Quality World Map
Immersive Armors
Realistic Lighting Overhaul
Sounds of Skyrim
Ultimate HD Fire Effects SSD

Thanks for pulling me in here!

Thanks Adam. I know what I’ll be doing next time Skyrim SE goes on sale.