Skyrim in 2022- new year, 100 new stealth Archers!

Thank you!

Good luck! Feel free to hit me up with any questions.

Tonight, btw – and apparently it’s a known issue – the program was having trouble downloading “Finishing Line Files.7z”, which is like a 2.8gb zip file on google drive that gets hammered on bandwidth. If you get a bad install message when it tries to download that file, don’t fret. Try to download the Finishing Line Files.7z manually (it’s at the same link as the modlist file). Then go to the folder your mods have been automagically downloading to, delete both the truncated Finishing Line Files.7z file there (it’s super small, because the download failed) and also the matching hash file there. Then copy the file you grabbed manually into there, and restart the install. It’ll speed past all the mod files it already downloaded, and notice the shiny new Finishing Line Files.7z you copied over and then it’ll continue with the download/install process.

As I pointed out above, Wabbajack requires a premium Nexus mod subscription. I just bit the bullet and went with a lifetime. These are enormous downloads and I know I want to try out TSO and the Fallout 4 Horizon pack as well.

It does work great, I did run into the other “Finishing Line Files” issue as well but it was easy enough to download it manually and it stick it in the deleted items folder and delete the hash. Beats the shit out of doing it all by hand.

The other issue with Wabbajack though is that Nexus has no versioning unlike curse, and doesn’t automatically keep old versions. So the installer lists break all the time if a single mod changes in the 200+ packs.

If only the Nexus wasn’t run by fucking Nazis.

For example, when the mods send you a nasty gram (and they’re always nasty) it self-destructs because they don’t want a log of them being Nazis.

I’ve never had an issue with any of the mods or admins on Nexus Mods.

Being able to wield a 2h weapon and cast healing spells without swapping is amazing, as is a bow etc. I won’t play the game without this mod.

An entire community was created specifically because the Nexus mods are Nazis.

There are lots of…websites, let’s say, where the moderators are specifically tasked with keeping shit on topic and keeping out potential troublemakers. And in doing that, they tend to get pretty overzealous about moderation, bannings, blockings, suspensions, etc. Sometime intentions are misunderstood, things are taken the wrong way, and they err too much on the side of being abrupt and even uncivil.

It happens.

Be careful about what you post and how you post on sites that have that rep, I guess. Been posting on those Nexus forums, asking questions, offering what advice I can, etc. now for over 10 years. Haven’t had so much as a warning – even when I accidentally pissed off a bunch of modders back in the Oblivion days.

That there’s an “entire community” specific to a thing doesn’t necessarily make that thing super valid in my view. It’s interesting, for sure. But all I can go by is personal experience. And I’ve never encountered issues, myself. YMMV.

Thanks. No SSE version, though I went through the hassle of converting it to SSE. Looks like it doesn’t work with Ordinator, though.

Also, great reminder of why I despise Nexus so fucking much.

Oh Bal --are they really Nazis? or is that an expression of their dumb behavior?

So help me understand why this mod makes you hate a fine site like Nexus so much that you curse in italics about it.

Smart Cast is a mod that came out on October 3, 2013. It has never been updated since originally being uploaded.

Ordinator is a mod that was first uploaded two years later, in August of 2015.

Skyrim Special Edition launched in October of 2016.

So…are you angry because a mod that came out two years before Ordinator was released doesn’t work with it? Or is it upsetting that a mod that came out 3 years before SSE was released has compatibility issues with that?

I mean, honestly, I want to understand, but I just don’t get it right now yet.

Haha, a friend posted this on FB earlier, immediately made me think of this thread. For those not in the know, thehardtimes is a satire site like The Onion.

I’m as guilty as the rest of you- triple-dipping with the 360, Xbone SE and PSVR versions.

Well, if they really are Nazis that explains a lot.

Though I’ve registered with nexus for mods for 7 years I think…

Well in their defense skyrim SE was a dramatic graphical improvement that made me buy it and play again and … wait --wait a sec…

I have condemned the God Sanguine to forever be looking for a drinking companion at the Bannered Mare. May the years of toil be a reminder that man is in charge here.

For sure. I’ve paid north of $150 to play the same game over and over again, though. Ouch.

Spoiler alert: they’re not literally Nazis. Let’s not get that particular bit of telephone tag going.

lol I think I know that. I was just trying to figure out bal’s point – I trust bal in some odd, wow ways.

I hate Nexusmods because there never will be an SSE version of Smart Cast. Unless the original mod author comes back and writes it. Which, given the nature of the internet and PC gaming, is unlikely. Dude probably hasn’t fired up Skyrim in 7 years.

But he OWNS that mod. Forever and ever, and no one can ever modify it to work with SSE – no matter how much credit they give the original mod author. You can’t download Smart Cast, run the 5-step process to convert it to SSE, then re-upload it saying, “This is NeoRunek’s Smart Cast, I’ve just updated it for SSE. All credit goes to him, I’ve made no other changes.” Nope, can’t do it. How dare you try to help the community, you fucking pleb?

I don’t want to get into a huge copyright discussion. Let’s imagine the original author poured his blood, sweat, and tears into it. He owns it, it’s his. But he cannot charge for it, and it requires an actual copyrighted commercial product. If someone modifies it, the original author should receive credit. But instead Nexusmods took the easy road and just blocked it all. So now Smart Cast and, literally, thousands of mods like it – wither and die because the mod author has moved on. This is not good for gaming. This is not good for anyone. And Nexusmods is to blame.

Even if the mod author gives his approval for others to update it, Nexusmods still won’t allow it. Oh, their Official Guidelines says they’ll allow it if you get permission… But everyone knows they’ll just take it down and warn/ban you, so no one even bothers. Even if you re-write the mod from scratch? Same deal. The mods are Nazis. They’re not going to put the effort in. Far easier to remove the file and warn/ban the poster. Besides, what exactly counts as consent? Many of these mod authors are long gone, unreachable, or have zero desire to contact Nexusmods to give their consent. Their mods lay abandoned. Nexusmods doesn’t care.

And yes, many of these mods wither and die because they rely on SKSE (Skyrim Scripting Engine). Bethesda, in their wisdom, updates Skyrim every quarter (or so) to add their own for-pay mods. This breaks SKSE, which requires an update. Which often breaks mods that rely on SKSE. There’s a fantastic mod called QuickLoot that allows looting in Skyrim similar to FO4. But it’s broken since the last Skyrim/SKSE update. The code for it is on GitHub, but it matters not. No one can fix the code and re-upload it the mod except the author, despite the code itself being public.

Oh no, you dare do that and the mods will take it down and then flame you in a rude message that self-destructs. Seriously, they obviously know they’re such fucking Nazis that they make their nasty, rude-ass PMs self-destruct. Anyone else on QT3 gotten a friendly message from Nexusmods mods? No? Then maybe you don’t quite understand where I’m coming from.

What site has to be so underhanded and fascist that they make their PMs self-destruct?

So I think I understand where you’re coming from…but there’s another side to this, too.

One of the reasons Nexus Mods is the big mod depository that it is stems from something that they offer to mod creators: protection. That same vehement protection of requiring permission from mod creators to alter their work is why so many mods end up on the Nexus in the first place. That’s why Nexus Mods has pretty much poleaxed Bethesda’s paid mods scheme, too. Which is a hugely valuable service on their part.

When you mod a game, you do so in full understanding that mods can break shit. That updates will break mods. And that just is the circumstances here. Hard to put the blame on anyone, and especially hard for me to put the blame on NM. Nexus mods guarantees the integrity of the original mod as uploaded by mod creators, and that seems like a sound policy that has been working very well for them. Bethesda issues frequent, unnecessary updates because of their Creation Kit store nonsense. If you’re going to mod one of their games, those are the risks you take going in. (And there are ways to prevent any of the games from auto-updating, too.)

I’m guessing Nexus Mods moderators have to issue takedowns by the dozens, weekly. And I’m guessing that experience has taught them that getting into long arguments and debates about a policy that the owner of the site and admins of the site have set into stone is unproductive and leads to bad ends. So: terse note, PM that disappears, no discussion. Their site, their rules. And it works for them.

They’re neither “fascists” nor are the “Nazis”. It seems really un-good to be casually tossing around those terms that have much darker meanings to them. Using them like that makes me think their reasoning for handling PMs the way they do might be more justified than not, honestly.

Oh, and I have gotten a couple of cordial PMs from moderators at Nexus Mods in the past, including a site admin. And one of those times it was when I was doing something I really should not have been doing with the work of other moderators. And they responded by my/our fixing it with a nice “thank you for understanding!”

At any rate, most every game – and maybe it is every game – that has mods up on Nexus Mods is perfectly playable as is, on release, in the way the developer meant them to be played after a fashion. When we as players decide to modify those games, there’s an assumed risk we take on. Don’t want to deal with that risk? Don’t mod your games. That may sound harsh, but it’s kind of the state of play here.