Skyrim: The Builds Thread!

Although i’m not sure if Skyrim’s system is complex enough to warrant a build thread, but anyway, here goes!

So i’m feeling the pinch with my Breton. I feel like i’m not … going the right direction, or am in dire danger of become unfocused and unspecialized. I suppose partly because i’m still not sure which way i want to go.

Here’s the link to my build http://skyrimcalculator.com/#2629 rather than go through typing out each perk’s name. But basically 2 Alchemy, 2 Destruction, 2 Restoration, 1 Block.

I’m feeling very ambivalent here about what to do next or where to go:

1. Magic resist build. Sort of my initial goal. Get Elemental Protection with Block, get Magic Resistance with Alteration. Problem is that i just found an Alteration skill book, and am way behind there. Combined with Breton natural resist, this seems like a good build against magery.

2. The problem is that i’m dying against spiders. I’m not doing enough damage, fast enough, and at best can barely keep myself alive (i fought an epic battle with a Troll on the way up the mountain that took about five minutes and depleted all my potions, and where getting hit once left me with about 5 hp). So… i need armor. Light, or heavy? But armor kills my mana regen, which kills my Destruction. So should i abandon destruction? I’ve already got er 170 mana (at level 10). And already i found destruction skills that i cannot cast without taking the Apprentice perk.

3. Weirdly my two highest skills are Sneak and Archery. Sneak is the highest by far at 31.

banner ads on the site may be NSFW for some.

Really? My bad if so. All i saw were standard WoW lame goblin dancing.

most i’ve seen have been fine. One was for a game called Call of Roma with a scantily clad chick and the text “one click for a roman orgy, click now”. It’s hardly egregious but could be one you may not want someone looking over your shoulder to see. I wasn’t trying to call you out or anything, just give a heads up for people with work environments that are more conservative.

Trolls hit hard, you sneaky bastard.

Have you done or are you working on the mage guild quests? Lots of rewards for mages in that line, obviously. Armor isn’t the answer to defense, wards are.

They must be sniffing your cookies so…

I’m a Dunmer putting every perk point in Archery and Sneak, level 15 atm and it’s been working out well. For up close I’m generally still sticking to the bow though I occasionally take out a Long Sword and use a ligthning spell.

But this game’s setting brings to mind Midgard from Dark Age Of Camelot and I’m thinking of starting over with a Thane build which was a class in DAOC.

So far my Breton one-hand/block/light armor/restore is working pretty well. Fights are difficult enough, but not a cake walk.

Stop sneaking and hit them with spells. Also you don’t have impact yet. You need impact! Impact will give you a guaranteed brief stun on enemies when destruction spells are dual cast. This is what keeps you alive!

Ward is how you deal with enemy mages, not magic resist. It is massively spendy for now, but will be affordable much sooner than the three perks necessary to give you half off for incoming damage. If you find mages that awful a burden to bear, hunt down a ring of magic resist or some specific damage resist gear.

Mages are almost more gear reliant than physical type characters. You need stuff to reduce the cost of your primary damage line or you will die die die. Not regen stuff, you want cost reduction stuff. Regen is irrelevant and pointless and simply cannot keep up with the huge advantages of cost reduction. My character in the mid 40s can, with his gear on, spam dual expert destruction spells basically without any limit, and can fire off the rituals effortlessly. Without his gear on, he can maybe do ten or twenty and can’t really sustain the rituals for any serious amount of time.

Regeneration is a mostly pointless talent, you shouldn’t take it. The Adept level healing spells will blast you for 150hp easy, which you should really never need. I mean even if you dump half your level up rewards into health between zero and 40, you’ll only hit 300hp. You do not need a spell that heals for more than your health, and the spell in question is fairly cheap.

Alchemy sucks compared to enchanting. Potions are common and plentiful, gobble them rather than making your own in the early game. You can use it to buff your enchanting skill, but blowing talents on it during the early game is a bad idea.

Adept level destruction spells will be your bread and butter spells. On adept difficulty you can probably rely on them for serious damage against mooks well into the 30s (on master they’re mostly convenient aoe stuns by that point unless spammed heavily). Race up the destruction tree to get them if you really want to use magic.

Armor is entirely viable for mages. If you find you need more physical protection than the spells provide you should grab light armor and perk up to the weightless one. That’ll cost you 3 perks and require you to hit 50 in light armor. You’ll get better defense but you’ll also be slower. It’s also harder to get a chest piece with cost reduction than it would be for a cloth mage, but that’s the tradeoff.

Alteration is weak in the early game, but when you hit expert it will be one of your best schools, if not the single best. This tree has paralyze, detect life/dead, all the armor spells, transmute, and a few other handy things. It is godly.

Illusion is strong in the early game, but gets progressively weaker from what I can tell. Even invisibility isn’t all that great. Grabbing a few low level frenzy and calm spells will give you an edge against mooks for a long while, but I’d be wary of overspending on perks for stuff that won’t scale very well. Of course I didn’t get the dual casting perk for Illusion, so I dunno!

edit: And if you want a mix build, I’d recommend going heavy armor, sword and shield and just plowing through shit like a bashing boss.

So far I’ve been playing a Nord with my points going into Smithing, One-Handed, Destruction, and Light Armor. Stat points usually go 3x Health, 1x Magicka, 1x Stamina; repeat.

The basic idea is remaining maneuverable with Light Armor, stabbing things with my sword (w/1pt Fire Damage enchantment, which sets enemies ablaze and increases further damage) and backing that up with Flames (if in close combat), Firebolt (if they like to run away), or occasionally a shield (if they are a Troll. Effing Trolls).

Being able to improve magical weapons and armor is amazing at higher levels, even on named artifacts, you can improve them to a Superior/Flawless version.

This didn’t need a new thread. There’s already a “characters” one.

I love sneaking and archery too, but I use a bound bow instead normal bow. with Bound bow + bound weapon damage perk. you end up with a daedric+ bow at almost any level. wear all +archery damage equipment, you end up one shot anything with sneak attack.

It wasn’t until I got my enchanting and smithing to close to 100 before I could actually replaced the bound bow/arrow with ebony bow + massive upgrade. The game get way too easy at this point with level 37 100 enchant and 100 smithing and close to 100 archery.

Oh, and here, I just beat the game for you:

Assassin-style build on my Khajit. It took a while but I’m finally up to 16x backstab damage for daggers, and my lord is it powerful. It’s also more fun to attempt to sneak up on a boss that’s sitting down at a table full of henchmen, enjoying his dinner, killing him in one death blow, and then drinking an invisibility potion and getting the hell out of there. Quest complete, no need to deal with 6 other baddies.

In fact, if you don’t consider sneaking past enemies to get some quest item that you could pickpocket or get in a chest, you’re officially not a rogue. Legolasses aren’t rogues.

Perks are a combination of One-handed (with 2/2 Flurry), Light Armor (base perk, and soon the non-existent weight perk), Enchanting, Smithing, a little bit of Archery (Sneaking does most of the damage for archery already), a couple in Blocking, and a wasted point in alchemy and speechcraft.

Nord, Two-Handed, Heavy Armor, Smithing. He’s a world beater. I’m building up Enchanting now to make him even more ridiculous.

Oh, get the Lord ritual stone buff when you can. Nothing will ever hurt you again.

This thread is going to be all perks, all the time, so I’m fine with the thread fork. Here’s my current build at level 22: http://skyrimcalculator.com/#2680 – I am really going whole hog into enchanting right now, better armor is going to make my character that much more entertaining. Dual wielding a soul-sucking bound blade and an enchanted axe (I have three – fire, frost, and shock) is a total win – I never run out of souls, so I can keep feeding the enchantment beast, full on.

Some builds I’ve had success with

Wood Elf - Assassin
major = sneak, one handed - including dual wield line
minor = alteration, illusion
Verdict - Incredibly powerful and gamebreaking, after invisibly one-shotting a dragon and a giant I retired her

Breton - Paladin Tank
major = one handed, block, blacksmith
minor = restoration, heavy armor
Verdict - Retired first toon, rushed BS to 100 incredibly resilient in full dragon plate

Altmer - Mage
major = Destruction, Alteration, Conjuration
minor = sneak, restoration
Verdict - Retired, felt too weak in comparison to other toons

Breton - Two-Handed Tank
major = two handed, heavy armor, blacksmith
minor = restoration, enchanting
Verdict - Current toon, lots of fun, bashes face and heals after combat

Fuck Altmers, kill them all.

I have the whole Conjuration tree except the ones that lengthen the summons if you dual cast and the ones that augment the bound weapons. I have four in Destruction, and the rest are unspent at level 33. I just haven’t decided.

I am going to try and keep my stealth/archer as a pure archer. No sneak attack with bows nonsense, but I do want the quick draw perk.

but it’s so hilarious watching enemies wondering what’s wrong with their buddy. why is there suddenly an arrow in their head.