Slay the Spire

It’s totally playable, in my opinion. They have three fully fleshed out classes, all the art is done, the animations feel very “good” and polished. Based on my 15ish hours, there is way more than enough content if you want to beat Ascension 15. It doesn’t even really need endless mode. It’s very polished and has a lot of depth and content already.

edit: also, there is already endless mode on the beta branch, which is just 3 clicks away in the steam properties

Yea, this game is far more polished in EA than many other games are after DLC releases. Speaking of which, I hope they do some DLC for this game. It took me about 90 hours to beat it on Ascension 15 with all 3 classes. There’s some guy on Twitch with a 75% win rate on A15, which is crazy to me. I feel like I’ve got a pretty good handle on the game and I don’t think my A15 win rate would be any higher than 40%.

But there is way more than enough (quality) content to justify a $30 game, let alone a $15 one.

What I am hoping is, somewhat sillily, more lore. It is apparent a lot of stuff is going on, if you pay attention to the design of the foes, and it scratches rightly the Dark Souls fan inside of me. I hope they got stuff prepared on that front for the full release.

I want them to always be making content for this, so I can always be throwing money at them.

I just want it on Switch

Whats the appeal of this game? I don’t see it

perhaps if the production values were higher but I don’t get it

Is it one of those games you just have to play it to like it? Or is it just one very well designed time waster

I guess the only way to answer that is, when you watch it in action, what don’t you like about it? Just the graphics? Because the art style is a choice, and art isn’t going to always appeal to everyone. The animations and special effects are excellent. The production values are incredibly high, it oozes polish, what is your definition there?

Fair enough…I guess its the art style…animations seem fine

Darkest Dungeon, Space tyrant, hearthstone…now those games have great ‘production values’ imho as a comparison

To be fair, you listed games this one is nothing at all like. In terms of “not seeing the appeal” I wonder if maybe the issue is you aren’t clicking with the type of game this actually is.

here’s my problem…its getting rave reviews and I don’t know why…so obviously, its me not the reviewers

for 10 bucks, I should just try it and see what the fuss is all about…I can always refund it

I don’t get it either from just looking at it and reading about it. Occasionally games that steam reviews and this forum say overwhelmingly positive things about I may well end up not liking very much at all. I’m perfectly fine with that.

Like you said, for 10 bucks why not jump in and see for yourself. That’s how you find that occasional game that hits the sweet spot.

Are you only looking at screens? They are useless. Watch some footage on youtube, is my advice.

This is the kind of stuff you may need to go outside the game to research. Like to the library.

Ok, watched some youtube, I sort of get it now and it does look interesting. I didn’t watch long enough to see what new if anything happens during the course of an entire campaign, but even if it’s just this same battle engagement stuff I saw that looks good.

One thing that’s awesome is I’ve played almost 80 hours (!?) and have never had a run go the same way twice. So much variety and synergy between cards (sometimes I think a card is useless and later find a fantastic way to really use it, for instance) it’s just staggering, and they keep adding more content pre-release!

These guys are hitting it out of the park. I’m glad some actual footage helped you to understand the game a bit better, it’s really something special, I think.

E: I actually recorded a little look at the game a month ago or so, for anyone interested.

Anytime this forum is so positive about a game, even a card game, I usually check it out and have yet to be disappointed. Slay the Spire was no exception, it sucked me in hard and I finished all 3 characters.

Awesome video Scolt !! Thanks for making and posting it…answers all of my questions

Thanks for that vid, I’m definitely picking this up during the sale.

And Gendal, agree with your assessment.

One smart thing the devs do is use data to balance cards. If people never select a card, they tweak it, often running the new card by top players for feedback.

I’d love to see some of that card telemetry shown in game. Leaderboards for most valued cards at each cost, or maybe let you see what the community would have picked whenever you have to choose a card to add to your deck