Sleepy Hollow

The preview that ran after last week’s episode already said the next new one isn’t until November 4.

Yeah, it’s weird that they are taking a three week break already, but they are.

Ah, OK. I DVR the show and watch later, so I always hit stop and delete before previews come on. Bummer.

It’s FOX though, so I figured baseball. Baseball even trumped House back when it was their highest rated show. Gotta make the big money off the World Series.

There seems something cosmically wrong that Fox would put Sleepy Hollow on a brief hiatus specifically for…Halloween. Someone needs to be shortened by a head.
;-)

Yeah its the World Series thats got Sleepy Hollow on hiatus. Also they need to stretch it out a bit anyway because as far as I know, even though its been already renewed for season 2, season 1 is only scheduled to run 13 episodes.

WHY FOX? WHY?!!!

This is the kind of series which actually needs an ending. Do something like American Horror Story if you must, but really… you need to tie it up before you go on too long. I don’t want a bunch of filler MOTW (Monster of the Week) episodes.

Unfortunately, they’ve already explicitly set it up for a seven year run of MOTW-ish in the first couple of episodes. The best you can hope for now is campy fun with something occasionally creepy looking and an actual ending if it makes it to year seven for syndication or whatever that plan is.

I had all the episodes piled up on my DVR and I binge watched them yesterday. Overall I think the show is entertaining, though I will agree the last episode was weak (in retrospect I decided I should have watched just 3 episodes, then taken a break because after that, my attention started flagging). I don’t know why they had to make the middle age English connection between the Roanoake kid and Crane… would a guy from the 1700s have actually spoken or understood Middle Age English? I’m a little skeptical of that. But sometimes you just got to roll with the flow.

One thing that does sort of irk me is the sudden presence of everyone in the world being a part of the numerous secret cults that have sprung up: we’ve got good covens, bad covens, Hessian mercenaries, general minions of evil Apocalyptic horsemen… is anybody NOT in a secret cult or society?

Still and yet, I’m enjoying it more than I thought I would, so it’s staying on the DVR.

Returns tonight with a new episode.

I hear you on the “everyone’s a player” thing. I’m waiting for the reveal that Orlando Jones’ character is either an agent for the evil side that will flip to work with Abby and Crane, or an agent for the good guys counterpart to the Hessians, perhaps even with secret government backing.

Oh, of course he’s working with somebody. There’ve already been 3 or 4 “camera lingers on Orlando Jones’ face too long” moments designed to make you wonder just where his allegiance lies. We’ll learn soon enough, I’m sure.

Anyone else see the new episode? I liked it, but it felt like a scene was cut. I’m referring to the way John Noble’s character just appears in the Freemason’s room with no explanation for how he got there or what occasioned his change of heart.

Saw it. It was pretty jarring how suddenly Noble just appears in a supposedly super secret Freemason hideout when he obviously didn’t come with the sisters. It felt like a couple of scenes were cut where maybe Abby (after figuring out what Crane intends) tells her sister to go drag Noble there if she has to, then the sister convinces Noble (or perhaps just abducts him) and returns with him.

I enjoyed the episode though. I had to laugh at the Crane/Katrina origin story. So she’s an obviously foriegn-born Quaker woman who also happens to be a witch and works as a servant for a well educated free black man who is inciting rebellion by authoring pamphlets. Holy contrivance Batman! I’m not complaining though, as any Katrina is good Katrina. She is very nice to look at.

I wonder how much the Freemasons will factor into the show now. Will they start actively helping, or just fade into the background?

I still like the show and I am going to continue to watch, but this last episode was really beyond silly.

The last part of that episode made no sense. The Freemasons wanted Crane to kill himself because doing so would apparently stop the horseman once and for all and thus prevent the apocalypse. Crane accepted that was necessary. Even apart from the issues with Noble appearing out of nowhere to save Crane, neither the Freemasons nor Crane wanted Crane to be saved. Yet they both just let it happen, ignoring the entire reason the Freemasons had kidnapped Crane in the first place and Crane’s decision to drink the poison. (Before drinking the poison Crane even explicitly rejected the idea of Noble saving him because it would leave the horseman alive and well.) This is just terrible, nonsensical plotting.

My impression was that once they uncoupled Crane from the horseman, it would be possible to kill the horseman without killing Crane. When the Freemasons and Crane agreed to have Crane kill himself, they didn’t know that was possible. So it made enough sense to me.

That was my take on it as well, so I decided to just accept that plot point. While it certainly would have been easier to have Crane take out the horseman and himself at the same time, the Freemasons called him brother and like/respect him. They’re willing to take a chance. John Noble’s character’s sudden unexplained appearance is another matter entirely.

Noble knew where to go (he sees the same vision), and simply had a change of heart. Though it would have been nice to have the writers more explicitly spell that out after he saved Crane, I don’t think it is a plot hole or nonsensical.

Yep, Noble told Abbie where to find Crane in the first place. He knew here Crane was. The rest is a simple leap of logic. I agree it would have been helpful for the writers to have explained it better but I didnt feel it was nonsensical.

I think the last episode was probably the best to date. Cho as the voice of Death and the untrustworthy link to the opposition was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed the Horseman’s backstory as well.