Slice & Dice (by tann), my new GOAT (roguelike dice tactics game)

I’m mad at this game for being awesome yet having exactly the kind of graphics that turn me off right now. Also, with games where you roll dice, I’m a single-issue-voter: I don’t need the dice tumbling across my screen and ending up all scattered with their faces at different angles like real dice. They’re not real dice. You’re not fooling anyone, Slice & Dice. They’re computer dice. When I click “roll,” I want the faces all lined up on my screen at 90 degree angles.

I realize they added this feature or something like it (do you have to click a button to put the dice in order, though? That’s one too many clicks!) but I still don’t like that you see the “side” of the dice peeking out under what you actually rolled.

I realize this is extremely picky.

I.m very happy those are some little grudges I don’t hold in my headbag!

I was going to say I wouldn’t care if the game was text only, but I actually enjoy when, sometimes, some dice get stuck and the game eventually resolves it. Oh yes, that is a good moment, hmm, why do I enjoy that moment that much…

Ugh, nooooo! This is like nails on a chalkboard to me!!! Time’s a-tickin’, Slice & Dice! I have things to do! I’m not here to watch dice physics!!!

So glad everyone is enjoying this.

The game is great although I don’t think I am playing it right. Should I be thinking about synergies across classes and ‘builds’ so to speak, or just going with the flow and making pragmatic decisions as I go?

I was rereading your opening post, and it is funny because when I read it before getting the game, I was going “this sounds quite cool, hm”, and now rereading the various points, my reaction is instead “oh yeah that feature is so cool! and this one too!”.
I have been trying to introduce it to a few acquaintances the last couple of days, and I am trying to downplay it in a “you might like it…” way, to not scare my preys away with the grotty sounds of pleasure emitting from this fanboy.

At first I was going with the flow (as you cannot read the future after all!), but before long I was planning items with classes in mind, especially once you get used to the cast of enemies. The game introduces both classes and items at a leisurely pace, a pace which is another of those miraculous little touches that make the game so good in my opinion, as I have time to toy and think about new things to try before I get introduced a new game changer.

I’m sorry, are there one HUNDRED hero classes?

Sigh. I might have to accept the dice-jiggling.

I agree with @Left_Empty. When starting out, don’t be afraid to just play. You don’t know the systems, classes, items, or enemies. As you play, you will learn more about those (and more will be added) and I think a lot of that will start to happen naturally.

For instance, you might start to think about the ability to do instances of 4 damage during a run. Or maybe you see an item and think…that might be really great if I am offered a particular class later. Or maybe it’s, I’d like to take this class, but it doesn’t fit with what I have because I need more healing/shields/aoe/mana generation/etc.

Each color has 4 tier 1s, 8 tier 2s and 8 tier 3s. So yes, 100 fixed classes, not counting the randomly generated ones. Some of those are tier 1/2/3 variants, like dabble/dabbler/dabblest.

Thanks guys, will stick to making pragmatic decisions as I go instead of worrying that I am doing too little strategising!

I like watching the dice fall, makes the game feel more like a board game.

Basilisk scale: top side gets +3, but is petrified. What is the point of that? Has anyone figured out what to do with it?

If you have a cleanse handy, it’s FANTASTIC. And fyi, you can hit that character with a cleanse anytime. That side doesn’t have to be showing to affect it. It hurts so much when I see it on loot mode (and could desperately use larger sides) but don’t have any way to cleanse it. The petrifaction does reset every fight, otherwise it would be ridiculously OP.

That goes back to Tim’s question about class synergies. You might take that item with the intent to prioritize a cleanse on your next red upgrade.

I had no idea cleanse worked on petrify :) I thought it was only for poison!

One of the spell caster classes also got a spell that lets you turn any dudder faced die into some kickass attack+shield one. with that +3 on top, it would be so yummy… cant wait to come across it!

Poison, petrify, weakness, inflicted pain, etc

I don’t think you would get the +3. Generally, when a side is replaced, you lose existing effects, unless it specifically says otherwise. Also not sure if petrified qualifies as “blank” for purposes of that spell (or Gather, which gives mana). That spell can still be pretty good if you have a lot of blank sides.

I tried it, and the spell did work with a petrified face, which felt extremely nice!
I just love it when you crapshoot things and a game rewards you, and this one got those moments aplenty!

I had actually wondered about that with gather the other day. Good to know! Did you get the benefit of the +3 or was it a fixed amount?

I’m sitting in front of my computer - 2 monitors and I end up playing an hour plus of Slice and Dice on my phone :-)

I’ve played 2 times on normal ‘regular mode’, lost on made it to level 12 and then level 19. Got close the last time.

My sole grumble when it comes to items is that the other that changes blanks to 1Heart doesn’t trigger mid game and update wand sides that have been burned (they have a slightly visually different X).

That feels like a synergy that “should” work as I’m pretty sure that the spell that replaced X with 2Mana does work on used wand sides

Items that replace blank sides are already pretty good, especially early. If they could replace single use sides mid-fight, it might be too good?

I’m trying to think of any items that directly alter die sides during a fight.