Slice & Dice (by tann), my new GOAT (roguelike dice tactics game)

Wee, very slow but infinite shield generator!

Add some super damage from the Thief and Priest(!) and you’ve got a crew that downed Hexia with barely a scratch. (+3 to all sides on turn 4 means much reroll power)

So help me, who uses the Fiend upgrade for the Mage type / blue hero?

The top and bottom die are single use per combat. The middle and middle left die inflict pain (so 3 and 2 respectively). So once the top and bottom are used, he is left with a 1 mana (activates on roll) and two faces that apply pain.

I am yet to come across items which would make this work well. Sure, the top and bottom could be replaced by some items. Maybe a heal-heavy team could make good use of the relatively high damage output the pain die offer. Still, I have never used Fiend, nor felt able to do so well.

Fiend

I don’t think I’d pick Fiend without other items or a buff to the cantrip. I think there’s something that copies the left side across the row, which would make Fiend an incredible mana battery. I had a twin daggers item that let me use classes I normally pass, by giving them a simple attack top and bottom.

That item (cape?) is a great one. Another option here would be to get some self-shielding or a similar effect on the pain sides. And one of my favorites, thimble, which prevents damage during the player turn.

My Sinew above is wearing said cape.

I’ve never taken the fiend. Perhaps if I was offered him as the last upgrade for the tier 2s then there’s be a better chance of having something to combo with him.

His spell hurts everyone, allies included, so he definitely feels like someone who’s made for some sort of combo

I took a hard fall today and broke a bone near my thumb. I decided this is the game that’s going to get me through the recovery stage the next few weeks! I’ve already lost an Easy campaign to Hexia.

Sorry about the thumb! You can kill some hours withthis for sure.

@JoshL Thank you for the motivation to pursue the fast victory goal. I couldn’t imagine attempting it on anything above Classic Easy, and that received some substantiation when I simultaneously passed the 50 turn mark in the same run.

I got an amazing set of blessings and curses to let me do exactly as you say. Essence Capture+ provides 4 mana when a hero dies. Underworld Deal removes the HP penalty for dying. And Essence Thief sweetened the magic approach by giving one mana as each enemy dies.

Oh drat, there’s a 35-turn goal? So close. I’m sure that was doable with just a tad more optimization around letting heroes die.

Funny thing!

On my 5th attempt, I just completed my first run on ‘Hard’. Well, it gave a win, but on the last turn, my last surviving hero was killed AND YET, I had poisoned the big boss Dragon enough that it also died on the same turn. This counts as a win apparently, despite no heroes being available to celebrate it.

I enter the top 5,000!

NICE!

My Blursed run ended on level 169 with my heroes falling and all the enemies dying due to cataclysm for a nice clean board to end the run…

I did the same on normal today, hah.

I just won classic hard using the heavy curse, where you can only target the enemy with highest HP, to make it hard to focus enemies down. I thought for sure it was impossible, but I found a lot of really great items - adding the chain modifier to a couple heroes doubled their damage output, since everything is already heavy!

Anyone running this on Linux? I figure it is a matter of taking the apk, dumping it out and running the jar possibly with some argument/einvironment variable to point it at the libraries.

I’ve done 2 runs on Windows, but can’t play during the day when I have Linux booted for work. I made it the final boss on easy in the 2nd run, but they destroyed me. So I guess I have a lot to learn :)

Use Wine!

There might be a simpler way, but one way I’m thinking is to just set it up in Lutris.

It wasn’t happy when I did a quick try with proton, but I need to double check that everything is okay with the slice & dice zip file. Apparently that was an issue at one point. I run steam through a flatpak, which is nice is some ways, and a royal pain in the *** in others.

Absolute carnage of a run! 28 turns!!!

Damn that’s nuts!!

After the talk of not taking the fiend line of mages, they were great here. Consistent supply of mana and had the Healer for the Vine attack for a lot of the time. That combo took down the pair of hydras pretty much single handed.

Massive props to level 1 berserker guy too. Hitting for a suicide 6 on turn 1 carried me through most of the first set of levels

Yeah, the more I play the more I like the pain sides. I had a Fiend in my most recent run who was powering loads of spells and pretty easy to keep alive with a bit of shielding / healing.

I finished off Hexia with a 24-point hit from a Curator with helm of power and a side of base 3, pristine and duel. Seemed like a good exchange.

Got it working now using proton directly for compatibility in steam, and not going through steam tinker launch. I will have to try that again later when I have some free time.