Slightly off topic: Wagner James Au

Does anyone remember that article written by a fellow Well user a few years back that described what it was like to go out on a date with WJA? I can’t seem to find it online anymore.

0_o

Who am I supposed to hate again? Hermy Hermit or Wagner James Au or the Grid or… I’m losing track.

Mercury? The Peridic Table? The Well? That’s a reference to HG Wells, isn’t it? Specifically his classic War of the Worlds!

It’s all clear to me now. You’re really saying that this is thread is a planned flame war of epic proportions. A virus will suddenly end it.

I don’t believe I’ve ever seen WJA post here.

You’re thinking of Alan “No Relation” Au, methinks.

In the Qt3 discussion of his article on America’s Army as a political game, WJA jumped in quite a bit, mostly to defend his use of questionable statistics and PR fluff to buttress his case.

Troy

Wagner James Au subscribes to the old Wired Magazine theory of writing, which states that every technological advancement, no matter how small, is the harbinger of a societal paradigm shift.

http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1210

I remember that thread. I like the idea of connecting gaming to larger social issues.

It just turns to crap when the reach exceeds the grasp so much. Battlefield Vietnam influencing young voters into the Kerry camp? Hell, it’s debateable these days whether Kerry’s service is even an asset to him. Among people in the military, or interested in the military, I’d wager that Bush has a humongous edge on Kerry.

On the other hand, WJA beats the hell out of most IGN write-ups. I mean, I strongly suspect that WJA plays the games he reviews.

HE has Gold in his name! Gold I tells ya![/quote]

I love periodic table jokes. Do one about mercury. :D[/quote]

I threw one down on Jon R. (or, really, sort of in his vicinity) when he called me a knight in tin-plated armor: “Stannum if you got 'em!” Yeah, it wasn’t funny then, either :(

http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1210[/quote]
Oh, fine. Make fun of my terrible disease that caused my short-term memory to fail after January 27, 2004.

HE has Gold in his name! Gold I tells ya![/quote]

I love periodic table jokes. Do one about mercury. :D[/quote]

I threw one down on Jon R. (or, really, sort of in his vicinity) when he called me a knight in tin-plated armor: “Stannum if you got 'em!” Yeah, it wasn’t funny then, either :([/quote]

Well, once I cracked open the dictionary and discovered that Stannum is latin for tin, I thought it amusing. Now if you can just limit your flame wars to chemists, you should be gold. Or Au. Or something.

Humor Tip of the Day: Change this to "Now if you can just limit your flame wars to chemists, you should be Au right.

“It’s a trap!” – Alan Gold

Ah yes, this makes me all weepy and nostalgic for the good old days when this was “clever,” like when I was about 12. Then again, it’s better than having a last name of Sn or Pb or something.

• Alan

Try having the last name of “Meister” back in grade school around Christmas time when the “Santa Claus is Coming to Town” special would play on television. With the mayor of Sombertown named Meisterberger Bergermeister, you just know I got hell the next week or so.

Even when I thought I got past those days as I grew up, SNL’s Rich, the Copy Guy, came along … “Hey, it’s the Derek Meister”.

:(

Jeez Derek, those aren’t even mildly insulting!
I got called Hubba Bubba, Bub-guy, Bubbalicious (by the ladies), etc., and I learned to embrace it pretty early on. Secretly, in my heart of hearts, I would have loved a cool name like Meister. Of course now that I’m pursuing Children’s Books (they run fast), a name like Bub really works in my favor.

Lightweights, all of you.

-Tom Chick

Ouch. So true.

Peter

My last name is Hicks. I caught some flack for it when I was a kid. It rhymes with a few things. It’s also a homonym for something that I hope doesn’t describe me. But all in all, Chick is worse – much worse. But you know they say guys with wimpy names are tough as nails because they had to deal with so much crap as kids.

You know this was a perfectly good and inappropriate flame before you all had to go and derail my entire thread and make it humorous. I knew there was a reason I hate reading this board.

Can’t you just keep the usenet style going for at least 3-5 posts? It is a real buzzkill you know… :lol: