Slitherine Announces Gladius - Relics of War

According to Steam, it releases on July 12. So, we’ll find out in just a few weeks.

I’ve often wondered that myself.

So this is coming out tomorrow, I guess?

I’ve been watching Party Elite’s playthrough, and it looks ok, nothing too exciting yet. One thing I am curious about: it plays using hexes and one unit per hex, no stacking. I wonder if they are able to make an AI that is able to succeed here where Firaxis has failed twice?

I’m guessing since sonoftgb beta tested this, but also started another thread looking for a 4x to play, at least one QT3er isn’t too excited about the release tomorrow.

Hmmm, good observation. I’m gonna adopt a wait and see attitude here I think.

I mean, you could wait until tomorrow and ask him too.

Or it’s possible I’ve been playing it to death and am just setting it aside for a while.

Quite the conundrum.

There are already some reviews of the game out, like the one below. I don’t know why TGB would still be under an NDA at this point so maybe he’ll chime in with his impressions.

I prepared a lengthy tome to post today, but it boils down to this:

That review is spot on, other than the reviewer liked the combat a hell of a lot more than I did - I found it simplistic and boring. Civ can get away with simplistic, boring combat because it gives you so many other interesting things to do and choices to make. Gladius doesn’t. When I play a 4X, I seldom go for the military victory, anyway.

This is not to say it’s a bad game, for what it is. The factions are asymmetrical and play very differently, and it’s got Warhammer lore coming out of its ass. It’s not for me. If the Warhammer-ness is enough to make up for the shortcomings, I hope y’all enjoy it more than I did.

Speaking of which, I have a code Slitherine sent me for 25% off. It can only be used at the Slitherine store, but you’ll get a Steam key. First to PM me with the message “I like Orc butts and I cannot lie” gets it

Thanks for your impressions! Do you have anything to say on the AI?

The AI seemed competent, but truthfully it didn’t hold my interest long enough to really make a final determination.

I’ve passed on the many recent 40K games because they were all pretty much scenario-based. I may still get this game because, while not a true 4-X, it at least provides a campaign that isn’t a chain of static scenarios linked together. And it is TBS.

Thanks for your thoughts @Sonoftgb, I’m not sure why I didn’t think to wait and ask you about them after the NDA expired.

I still think the game looks like a 40K clone of the old Warlock, Master of the Arcane. Same type of combat and city building. Same lack of diplomacy. Same type of hero units and combined arms, healing, etc…

I’d be happy to play a game like that for $20. Not so much for $45. Slitherine does itself no favors with its pricing, imo.

You’re welcome. And as someone posted, with the review embargo lifted, the NDA probably is as well.

I do wonder about the faction choices. Partly that’s because of all the 40K factions, I like the Orks the least, but it seems a bit weird to have these particular four going at it, especially as two are Imperial. I mean, I realize there’s tons of competition and infighting in the Imperium, but it would seem to make more sense to have the Imperium itself as one faction, against Chaos, Orks, Eldar, Necrons, whatever.I guess they wanted Space Marines in there, but really those would seem to be more suited for special troops you’d build/recruit, than a faction. Admittedly, I haven’t actually looked much into this game, as it seems sort of meh overall.

@TheWombat While I essentially agree on faction choice being odd, I am glad it’s not the usual suspects (well, Necron as the other three are almost always represented) again.

As to the game, I don’t really need a game to be diplomacy or other traditional Xs from 4x. I actually really like Sword of the Stars and other 4x light games that are essentially war games with a 4x sprinkle. To me they are like a slowed down RTS. Everybody fights while they compete over tech and resource progression until someone wins.

It seems like Gladius does this, and I am okay with that. Watching Airsickhydrahydra play a 1v1 game, it almost looked like an RTS with simultaneous “turns”. Maybe I am not fully grasping the dissappointment from @Sonoftgb testing. Or maybe I am just turned off by the non military elements of 4x nowadays. I find my middle age life doesn’t allow the luxury of the pacing and investment of a “true” 4x while my middle age reflexes don’t work well anymore with the frantic input requirements of an RTS. Maybe Gladius is the proper middle ground?

Could be; I have zero knowledge of the game, really. I kind of feel the same way you do about 4X, but I really would have preferred Chaos vs. Imperium. Hate greenskins; just so dufus like and goofy.

Oh yes. At four total factions, I think having both primary representatives of the Imperium of Man to be overkill. But some folks just love the guard.

I was weak.

Also, when Guardsmen meet Necron Warriors, it goes like you’d think. But there are an awful lot of us, and if you don’t kill us all the way, we keep coming back.

Unfortunately, now I’ve got that one Comissar song from the 80s in my head.

Falco or After the Fire? It’s important.