Slitherine Announces Gladius - Relics of War

Subversion

Turn your enemies’ servants against their masters. Through precise use of propaganda, you will be able to cripple the loyalty of enemy cities.

This seems like a concept that would work on… uh… Imperial Guard and literally no one else.

Confession time. I don’t like the Tau. I’ve never felt they meshed well with the theme of the 40k universe. It doesn’t help that the main mech units look (very intentionally) like anime rejects. Blech.

I never played tabletop, my first experience with 40k was Dawn of War. Tau were my favorite faction in that game, so I’m looking forward to this one. :) I actually kind of liked that they didn’t fit the rest of the theme well, that was kind of a feature and not a bug for me.

Yes, but they’re as fun to mow down in the name of the Emperor (or be mowed down by, IG has their good days and their bad ones - okay mostly bad ones) as anyone else.

Hoo boy, these guys sure know how to use influence. Does anyone know if the loyalty bonuses and penalties are per city or cross empire? If I build an ore mine in a second city, already having one in the first, do I get a bonus or a penalty?

I’m really impressed by how very differently these guys play from any of the other factions. So fragile individually, but awesome teamwork, drones, and special abilities to even the odds.

Protip: Keep your fireblade in back with his fire warriors! Dude is NOT a space marine captain!

Finally! Bought.

This was the DLC I’ve been waiting for.

GOG.com link: https://www.gog.com/game/warhammer_40000_gladius_tau

Loyalty is per city. Or at least, it was when I played.
Its bonus applies to every resource.
I think the ore mine only provides bonus in its city too.

Same here. They always felt like Anime Eldars to me.

Got it, so they want every city to be sprinkled with different buildings, no specializing unless you can pay for it with loyalty.

Just had an awesome scrap with a Necron army. The Tau can really fall back and counterpunch, just like in the fiction, due to drones being on cooldowns. I used Crisis suits to flank, again just like in the game books. Started fitting drone controllers to my suits, and am about ready to start rolling out my first monstrous creature, which I assume will be a Riptide. Good times.

Battlesuits! I loved tearing up the map with these in Dark Crusade.

steamworkshop_webupload_previewfile_394207753_preview

RimWorld Royalty and now this out of nowhere while I’m still trying to play La Resistance. Have mercy!

Same. Although I agree with @vinraith. I would have preferred Eldar first.

Just got defeated by Chaos, but it was a great match. The ability you get from the start to recruit kroot hounds and vespids is invaluable in the early game. I used them to soften up the Space Marine player in this match, but thereby I inadvertently paved the way for Chaos to steamroll them! (And then me.)

The Tau really require a great deal of micro, because they’re fairly fragile (which is no surprise) and you really need to make use of all of their special abilities (also not a surprise). The drones are very useful at getting the upper hand when facing a large number of enemy troops. The Commander is great, but the Ethereal also has very useful support abilities – that heal is amazing if you manage to keep him surrounded with your troops.

I may have lost this match, but with my Commander, Ethereal, some battlesuits and skimmer tanks I managed to hold on longer than I expected!

You’ll get 'em next time!

I’m wondering if I need pulsar grenades for early anti-armor capability. The piranha seems more like supplemental anti armor than an actual plan for clearing those neutral warbots. I dunno about walking my fire warriors up next to those guys, though…worse comes to worst, massed fire and markerlights should get it done.

Once I get battlesuits, however…

Space elves represent!

I love the Tau thus far: drones, cool influence abilities, drones, high firepower yet fragile, drones. Did I mention drones?

Yay! My favorite faction in Warhammer 40k! Almost the good guys. Sorta.

I played some Tau and am working on the quest line where it wants me to earn +3 loyalty from Utopia. However, I don’t see any explanation of what “Utopia” is. Any clue on this?

Utopia is the Tau ability by which every unique building in a city gives loyalty, while duplicate buildings subtract from it.

As a side comment, the Ghostkeel Battlesuits are hysterical. We want it the stealthiest thing around, and we want to make that &^%$#@ HUGE! No, BIGGER!

Just got crushed in my first game playing Tau. They are way more fragile than I would have expected. Mind you I’ve never played tabletop, so this may match how they’re supposed to be. But the Tau always look like they have pretty decent armor in pictures. I’m not even sure they hold up any better than Imperial Guard.

the steam discussion board has a lot of people complaining they’re overpowered. i haven’t got the dlc yet (but will), but perhaps they are, like IG, weak early but very powerful later on?

I haven’t played tabletop, but from what I know, the trick with the Tau is to tech up to battle suits and to not engage in melee (unless you have Kroot units, etc.). Their heroes are also very powerful: that Ethereal ability to heal everything it touches is amazing.

Also: make use of those spawnable drones. They’re essentially free units – they don’t even cost an action and you can move and attack with them as soon as they enter the battlefield!