Smallville: The Series - worth it?

Having not watched this in years, if Darkseid is the bad guy, my guess would be Intergang.

The black smoke at the end of the premiere straight up turned into Darkseid, so that’s confirmed.

Also, black smoke? Post-Lost? Really, Smallville?

I think Darkseid’s avatar on earth has always been black smoke, or I’m remembering it wrong, so I think that’s right from the books.

EDIT - I just read up on Darkseid and I don’t see any mention at all of smoke or shadows or projections, so I have no idea where smoke comes into play here after all.

It wasn’t a problem for Supernatural.

I watched the first season as it aired and I thought it was kind of cool albeit in a “superman’s creek” sort of way. I liked the conflict they built in that Clark and Lex were friends but that Lex knew something was up, and while it was very monster-of-the-week, I enjoyed it well enough.

By second season, however, it became evident that the writers didn’t have a plan. They had pitched the show figuring they’d get a season out of it, but when it took off, they didn’t have any idea of what to do with it and spend some time flopping around hoping they’d reach the water sooner or later. Maybe they did, I just know I couldn’t watch it. These are the same writers responsible for the excreble (and fortunately short-lived) Birds of Prey – the one where Huntress had the Puma Howl that I mostly associate with a Ratatat song. They were also responsible for Spiderman 2, which was also terrible.

There’s just something comfortable about Smallville, I guess like anything you’ve been doing for ten years. It premiered just a few weeks after 9/11, didn’t it? Sure, there are entire seasons-worth of plots I’ve forgotten; one year that dude from Supernatural was a football coach / sorcerer, or something? Jane Seymour was there? Maybe? Dunno. But the accumulated goodwill from those very early seasons – Christopher Reeve! John Williams’ score! – has persisted over the years. I’ll be watching until the end.

Spiderman 2 was terrible? I’d argue it was the best of the three. Now if you said the third movie was terrible, you’d get no argument from me. My god, the Saturday Night Fever sequence was probably the most uncomfortable shit I’ve ever sat through in a super hero move.

Didn’t even bother to watch 3 after 2 took such a dump in my brain. Too much angst, too much Doc Oc talking to his arms (and the bad puppetry therein). I was OK with one, but I thought it was a little overrated.

Late to the thread but just to re-iterate:

No.

— Alan

I liked Doc Oc better than Green Goblin, but other than that, I’d say it was headed in the wrong direction, but not terrible yet. The first was probably still a better film, but I’d have to watch them again.

I enjoyed the series premiere. It was great to see John Schneider reprise his role as Jonathan Kent. I loved the Darkseid reveal at the end of the episode as well. Jor-El’s admonition of Clark seemed to be very out of place, but perhaps the Fortress is infected or he’s simply saying what Clark needs to hear to become Superman. It was great to see the Superman suit so prominently displayed. I guess Jor-El is locking it off until he feels that Clark has truly proven himself worthy. Given what Clark has accomplished over the course of 9 years, you’d think he’d be ready by now, but we’ll see I guess. He was pretty prideful at the end there, trumpeting his accomplishments to Jor-El.

I though the Lex doppleganger did a great job. He definitely had some of Michael Rosenbaum’s mannerisms and delivery and made the most out of a small part. It’ll be interesting to see what Tess does with Alexander. Frankly I was hoping Tess would be gone this year because she’s kind of terrible. I mean, her motivations change week to week to fit the plot and she’s just not a strong character in my opinion.

I missed some episodes last season so maybe this is a dumb question–what was the deal with the giftwrapped costume in the barn? Where did that come from?

I think Lois got that for Clark , cuz she knows :p

No, it was a gift from his mom after he found out she was the red scarlet chick or whatever that was trying to off some baddies at one point. I forget what episode last season it was in but I think it was about halfway through it.

But his mom wasn’t in the last episode at all, and the gift was in the barn where he was going to meet Lois…

I am confused now.

John Schneider cameo reminded me of how awesome the show once was, and how much I miss some of the old cast… John Glover and Michael Rosenbaum are sorely missed these last 2-3 seasons.

I’m trying to find the episode it was because it wasn’t episode 20 like I thought it was and apparently he got the suite in episode 21 of last season so maybe I’m daydreaming it all. watching it again to figure it out.

Yeah beginning of Episode 21 - If you choose to stay, Love mom. Then he opens the box and the suit is inside, though you only see the reflection of the S in his eyes. Knew I wasn’t going totally insane, just wrong on when it happened during the season and it was at the end of season 9.

Ah, I see, thanks.

I enjoyed the second episode of the season. Lois and Carter’s exchange was great. Oliver’s search for Chloe and even the whole Deadshot plot with Cat Grant felt a little throwaway, but it’ll obviously have ongoing ramifications. It looks like the Suicide Squad is going to be an antagonist this season along with Darkseid. I’m not sure how Clark is going to get anything accomplished without Chloe to always Velma out the mysteries. I thought it was cool that he at least adopted a new “costume” that incorporates the shield and his red and blue colors. I’m really hoping he’s in the whole costume by mid season, but I know that’s not at all likely.

Just out of curiousity, I bowed out around the fifth or sixth season, is he flying yet?