Smarter autoaim?

I was just jumping over a wall and trying to get off a sweet hipshot in Halo 2 and missed by like a hundred feet. I was trying to think up some system that lets you make a tough shot some of the time, but isn’t autoaim in the cheap sense. Do you think an autoaim that works in the same way as bullet-time in Max Payne could work? I wonder.

Why, oh why, don’t they just make a mouse or mouse-equivalent for consoles? I’ve never understood why they have such a pretty car, but force you to drive with a stalk of celery and a handful of mashed potatos.

H.

Revmote?
Sadly the people who would be most interested in it are graphics-centric and have puny wrists.

Do you think an autoaim that works in the same way as bullet-time in Max Payne could work? I wonder.

You mean like a meter you fill up? Interesting idea.

What about a “target lock” feature where you can lock into the general area of your enemy (let’s say 2 square inches on your screen) and then forcing you to fine-tune your aim from there?

Agreed. Personally, I’ll never take a console FPS that forces analog joystick control seriously. All it does is frustrate me. It’s just too limiting for FPS.

I’m surprised they haven’t tried doing a trackball on a controller yet. I mean, isn’t that the tried-and-true method, harkening back into the old arcade days? There’s obvious reasons a mouse isn’t wanted, since you can’t really have a mouse/keyboard type setup and still be able to just lounge back into a beanbag chair with friends. But that’s not to say you can’t have a mouse-style function on a current controller.

Maybe we’ll see some cool stuff on the Revolution.

That’s basically what the Rev controller is, though: a mouse that doesn’t have to sit on a surface (i.e. a desk) to work. And with a greater range of input, too. I hope it works, because I’d be just as happy to see clumsy analog sticks go the way of the dodo.

It’s the power glove of the future. ;)

They did the autoaim/bullet time already in Gun. When you put it into bullet time (Quickdraw mode), you can change targets by tapping the stick left or right. It then automatically snaps onto the target, usually for a head or weapon shot.

The big problem with this kind of mechanic is that it’s only useful in single-player. Since people feel that shooters need multiplayer, well… it would be a challenge to expect players to learn two different shooting interfaces.

Besides, most games with strong multiplayer use the single-player as training, and one with this kind of slow-mo auto-aiming wouldn’t really be that helpful in a real-time multiplayer setting.

This thread is DOA. The Revolution controller will make the point moot. The Red Steel preview in Game Informer all but confirms it.

While we’re at it, how about making the FOV so you can actually see people? And maybe allow Vista gamers to play Xbox gamers? :-D

I actually like the dual analog controls for console FPS games, as long as I can turn the sensitivity up as high or down as low I want for both axes for both online and offline play. At lot of games allow you to adjust the sensetivity of the vertical, but not the horizontal axis, which means I’m going to die a lot because I couldn’t turn around fast enough to shoot my attacker behind me.

As for improving auto aim and console FPS controls in general, how about using the users control over the rate of fire to make hits more accurate, something like what Counter-Strike does, only more more lenient for controlled firing. I know some console games do this already, but more should.

That’s putting a lot of faith in a preview.

The PS3 and 360 are considered more “FPS-friendly” than anything Nintendo will ever put out. It’ll take some serious sales–and a serious shift in demographics–to cause FPS games to move to the Revolution, even if the controller is superduper ideal. It’s not like the Gamecube is flooded with as many FPSs as the PS2 or Xbox.

FPSers also tend to be graphics whores who will get that “HD version” instead of one in that crappy “480p.”

I dunno about that. I was thinking any real FPS action (from a PC gamer’s standpoint) could never happen on a console. Then I played metroid prime, and though that kind of interface for a FPS on a console would work very well, even though you really do not need to ‘aim’ with it.

So, FPSes on consoles work fine as long as you don’t have to aim?

I seem to remember reading an article that claimed that Halo does have some really sophisticated aim-assisting algorithm. But I can’t find it from Google today. I would tend to believe it since Halo is the only FPS on any console where I can actually shoot anything that I actually mean to shoot, 50% of the time, 11 out of 23.