Smell/Taste Aversions

Mayonnaise, for some reason. I’m getting a little better with it, but there’s something about it that icks me out.

Seconded. Goldschlager. Ever taken shots of Goldschlager out of a coffee mug? I have!

You are in Texas? I went to school in Houston. Must be a texas thing.

I can’t drink gin. I don’t even really know what it tastes like.

Then I got to the shot that was gin mixed with tequila.

Dude, the gin was not your probablem there.

This reminds me of Party Jenga, where each player pours a bit of their drink into a big cup in the middle. The person who knocks the tower over has to drink the nasty mix of assorted booze. Of course this is after pulling several blocks which are all just variations of “take a shot” “fool around with a neighbor” and “take something off.”

I’ve found I have a visual aversion to green ketchup. I love regular ketchup, but for some reason the sight of green ketchup, which looks like algae or some kind of sludge, just makes me nauseous. The smell and taste is the same.

Nope, I meant ‘mucilaginous’ (typoed the first time). Having 3 kids, I’m familiar with meconium, and that reminds me of different foods entirely.

Eggs. Specifically, boiled eggs. I make it through the whites easily enough, but hitting the sulphur-laden yolk makes me vomit. I have tried many times to eat the yolk of a hard boiled egg, and it always ends up either with me vomiting or gagging painfully.

Also uni.

No, I’m with Flowers. Gin is puke inducing. It could have something to do with the crazy amount of gin I used to imbibe with an ex who mixed gin with gingerale and thought she was being clever by calling it “gin (pause) gerale”.

As for non-alcohol related aversions, it’s bananas for me. Even the smell of them makes me want to flee, and they have a surprisingly potent aroma. I can smell them a mile away, unfortunately.

I second this. I eat just about anything but one sniff of this shit and I gag.

Alcohol wise it has to be tequila. Stroh rum also just bounces out of my stomach. I don’t blame it really…

put me in the rum camp. For the usual reasons.

Rum here.

And I never really went overboard with it. I just gag at the sweetness.

Gin just tastes bad.

Holy shit, you too???

My mom tells me that when I was like three years old, she wanted to feed me an egg. I adamantly refused. She told me quite reasonably that I’d never had one so how did I know I didn’t like it? I, being a toddler, didn’t budge. She pretty much strongarmed me into eating it (well, not violently, but basically insisted with full parental authority). I apparently hurled all over the kitchen… the little kid’s ultimate veto maneuver.

I don’t remember any of this. But I do know that eggs still pretty much nauseate me. I can eat a well-cooked frittata, but that’s as close as I can come… scrambled, soft-boiled, hard-boiled, sunny side up, whatever, fucking forget it, I can’t do it. I confidently expect to feel this way for the rest of my goddamn life.

Strangely, my wife also really doesn’t like eggs, though she apparently didn’t have any kind of traumatic childhood experience.

Amen. Can’t stand the stuff.

Also, for some reason, if celery isn’t diced properly in a mix full of other greens that might mask its smell an taste, I will gag and puke.

Yeah, but I love eating omelettes, and if someone who doesn’t know my weird egg aversion makes me sunny side up eggs, I can eat the whites with no problem. Oh, and scrambled eggs are yummy too, but only if they’re cooked past the “wet” stage.

Raw onions. JESUS SAYS GET THAT SHIT OUTTA HERE.

Catfish. Can’t stand the stuff without puking.

Holy shit, you too???

I go the other way, I can’t eat egg white. Again, I’m fine with omlettes, scrambled eggs (as long as they’re basically dry) and other egg based things. I think it’s a texture thing as much as anything, I don’t like mushrooms or shellfish for pretty much the same reason.

There are a few liquors I can’t drink anymore… Southern Comfort, Amaretto, whiskey, rum… well, it’s not that I can’t drink them. I just choose the hell not to, because I’m likely to vomit. I’ll stick to beer.

No, it’s the gin, trust me. I gargle tequila and swish it like mouthwash at parties and bars to gross people out.

Other foods I don’t like;
Onions, Cheese, Mayonnaise, Sour Cream, Ranch Dressing, cottage cheese, mushrooms, hotdogs. I will still use them when I am making things for other people, like guacomole and quesadillas and whatnot, but they gross me out so much my eye is twitching right now just thinking about looking at those things.

I used to not like coconut, bananas, hamburgers, or eggs, but it turns out that was just because, for the former two, the candy flavor is gross but the real thing is not, and I pretty much only ate candy from ages 6-25. As for the latter pair, when I left home I discovered that my parents cook those two foods like assholes. Seriously, how can you mess up a hamburger? By serving it lumped out, grey, clammy, and undercooked on a bun so soft and soaked that it makes a slice of whitebread look like structual support for a mineshaft. I have tried on numerous occasions to get my parents to see the error of their ways, I’ve demonstrated the appetizing effect of proper color with regards to browning of the meat, I’ve shown them how to balance a patty’s hearty thickness against internal texture with varying cooking lengths. I’ve taught them the mystery of bun selection, but they persist in their hamburger idiocy. It infuriates me.

The root of the problem is that, when I was about nine or ten, we had these two German houseguests who, for two months, absolutely raved about my mother’s hamburgers. This was the ass end of the 1980’s, mind you, so culinary technology was just progressing beyond boiled meats, steaming random garden vegetables, and throwing gravy on everything. Sadly, those asskissers froze my parents in time when it came to hamburger progress. Ever since then, I can’t teach them shit.

I’m a liquor man and I make no excuses about it (doesn’t mean I can hold it, just that I enjoy it) , hell I mentally label southern comfort a mixed drink, but this thread has brought back some nasty ass memories.

Malibu coconut rum for one. I was 14, Spain was the place, and I can’t stand even the hint of coconut in my drinks ever since.

And Goldschlager, holy crap is that nasty. I never thought cinnamon could taste so vile.

But nothing has quite matched Bäska droppar, a schnaps that makes my tongue want to curl up and die. I don’t mind bitter in ales, but the flavour in Bäska is so concentrated it’s like shock therapy for the taste buds.