Smrt TVs

I typically use my Blu Ray player with its USB input to plug in a flash drive and watch movies and videos. I am wondering, do they make TVs that can replicate this? This model says it has a USB input, does that mean I can watch MP4s and AVIs by just plugging in the USB in to this TV and selecting the USB contents?

So you’re asking us to do what you’re perfectly capable of doing yourself-- download the PDF of the manual from the manufacturer’s website.

No man, I am just wanting to discuss smart TVs and see what other’s know about them, through firsthand experience.

My smart TV (Samsung something or other) actually streams flawlessly from my networked computers. Surprisingly well, actually. I have not had the need to use a USB.

Which is kind of why MS and Sony are brainless for not understanding that they can’t ever be the central hub of an entertainment system if they don’t include what is becoming expected functionality in other living room devices.

My understanding is that these days even low end TVs have USB inputs that play video and mp3, of course the quality of the interface and additional capabilities varies a lot but USB input seems to be the most basic feature. My current TV is old and doesn’t have any of that but when I upgrade I will look into the matter now in depth.

I find it puzzling that all major tech site I visit just completely dismiss SmartTVs, they just say crappy interfaces and move on, there is no analysis or reviews like they do for Rokku or AppleTV or Google TV and the consoles. Now I’m sure there are sites out there that probably follow the matter more closely but find weird that the main ones dismiss something that I sure has lot’s of problems but there is a very good chance most people will just use a smarttv instead of buying an extra box.

Have you tried cnet?

I was on the verge of upgrading my TV a couple of months back and got a fair bit of info from there.

Also, once you have a model or two in mind, hit up youtube, there are a fair few reviews where you can see interface and UI responsiveness, etc. Take this one for a 60" Samsung for example. At around 7 minutes he shows some of the local streaming capabilities built into the set. If nothing else, it will give you a look and feel for what Smart TV’s are capable of in the current generation.

Thanks for the link, yes, I’ll have a look.

Friends don’t let friends buy smart tvs. They’re like tvs with built in vcrs.

You may think you can always disable the “smrt” capabilities and plug in a roku or whatever, but insidiously, some of those smrt TVs start displaying advertisements that cannot be trivially disabled. Either buy a dumb TV or never connect the smrt TV to the internet.

I spent a while working on apps for SmartTVs which convinced me to avoid buying them. Some of them have boot times that can be measured in multiple dozens of seconds and won’t even let you watch tv until they are up and running. Yeah.

I guess mainly what I am looking for is a TV that can connect to the internet, through a network. So, if I pull into a truck stop with open wi-fi, it will be able to connect.

Also, play mp3 and avi’s through the USB, as mentioned.

I guess mainly what I am looking for is a TV that can connect to the internet, through a network. So, if I pull into a truck stop with open wi-fi, it will be able to connect.
I’d have thought most modern SmartTVs would let you do that, although you may need a USB dongle to get the WiFi. And I can’t imagine a truck stop’s open WiFi is going to let you stream TV in any acceptable fashion, but then I’ve never tried. Are you sure you don’t want an LTE enabled tablet?

sounds like you need an android on a usb stick type thing.

You may be right, I have not been out there yet to sample but I was thinking truck stops might offer free wifi to get business. If not, I can use my phone as a hotspot? Or, simply get an “air card”.

Or get a slingbox?

You may be right, I have not been out there yet to sample but I was thinking truck stops might offer free wifi to get business

They may well do, but pretty much any place I’ve used public or semi-public WiFi it’s been painfully slow, even for ordinary browsing.

If not, I can use my phone as a hotspot?

I can, but I have an unlimited data package and a carrier that allows it. I understand US carriers aren’t so keen on tethering.

My Virgin Mobile phone has “unlimited” data, though none too speedy, so it may not be the best tether platfrom. I am thinking about trying Millenium:
https://members.millenicom.com/members/order.php?step=1&productGroup=23&product=106

Anyone use it?

I thought some people might be interested in this article about LG Smart TVs sending your viewing data to LG (DoctorBeet's Blog: LG Smart TVs logging USB filenames and viewing info to LG servers). Viewing data and filenames from USB files (maybe DNLA too?) were being sent. I liked the response from LG when the author contacted them about the behaviour and that the opt-out was not working.

The advice we have been given is that unfortunately as you accepted the Terms and Conditions on your TV, your concerns would be best directed to the retailer. We understand you feel you should have been made aware of these T’s and C’s at the point of sale, and for obvious reasons LG are unable to pass comment on their actions.

Wow … is that a lawsuit in the making, or just another example of large industries behaving with impunity?