Sneaky sandbox MMO hit to come? Black Desert

I haven’t played Black Desert, but this made me chuckle.

There may be something closer to what you’re looking for lorewise, but we’ll probably never see it in the US. I know that many Korean MMOs are never exported to the Western market.

It’s been released in Korea, North America/Europe, Russia, Taiwan, and Japan. So pretty much everywhere except China. I guess they wanted to make it as generic as possible so that it would have some appeal in every market.

I’m not getting sucked into it the way I was by SWTOR, even though the gameplay is superior. The setting just doesn’t work for me. I will slog through 50 tedious fights with trash mobs to get a +2 lightsaber, but I have no interest in a functionally equivalent +2 enchanted sword.

I’d give it a whirl now and then if it wasn’t for their abysmal rootkit anti-botting tool.

The graphics are fantastic in Black Desert, pretty impressive game engine.

Ok after quite getting into it and enjoying it for a while, my interest suddenly fell of a cliff, and I’ve no idea why, exactly. I was enjoying the combat on my Valkyrie (my fave combat style of the ones I tried) and even starting to learn combos properly.

I think it’s partly that I can see the potential grind ahead, but the virtual world, while cute enough, doesn’t really grab me enough to make me want to live in it 24/7, and I guess even when it’s toned down a lot, the cute teen babes/metro young men art style just doesn’t rustle my jimmies, plus that mixture of mediaeval and 17th century britches and tricorn hats style clothing - just yuck.

But also, something about the fact that people were saying “oh your combat style completely changes after Awakening,” took the wind out of my sails in terms of wanting to get the combos down. I’m not sure I like the idea of a gameplay style that changes drastically from what you learn leveling up.

I think if I were a young 'un though, I could see myself spending a lot more time in this game, it’s certainly got the depth and polish to keep one occupied for a long time.

So I purchased the game, then registered an account on their website, then launched the game client and was prompted to register an account. Won’t accept the email address provided because it “already exists”. Is there a way to bypass this and connect up the account that doesn’t involve using a second email address?

This confuses me in so many ways. Don’t you have to register to purchase the game? Or did you get it through Steam? Because I don’t know anything about how it works through Steam.

I got it through Steam! But if I’m called on to register a new account, I always try to do so via a browser where I have more control over various stuff, plus I can add it to my password manager more easily that way. So when I saw the mandatory sign-up interface after launching the game from Steam, I alt-tabbed over to my browser and signed up there. Problem is, client opens with an Account Registration page that lacks a “sign in with existing account” feature. Doh.

I don’t know what’s up, but I emailed them and suspect they’ll want to fix it by deleting the account and having me sign up again (hopefully using the same email address) through the game client.

When you play through steam, you use your steam account and should never have to enter any credentials. If you want to make your own accounts, you have to purchase through something else than steam.

That may have been the intention, but as it is a newly-installed Steam version of Black Desert expects you to register a new account through the game client. There doesn’t appear to be a way to skip that step.

Got a response from support: account that I’d created that very day had to be deleted on their website (not my idea in the support ticket) so that I could register instead through the client. I’m in now.

Thank you for contacting the Black Desert Online Customer Support and your interest in the game.

We have finished processing your account deletion request. Your account has now been removed from the www.blackdesertonline.com website and our database.

As such, you should now be able to use the associated e-mail with the Steam version. The character and family names that were on the old account should be available again after the weekly maintenance on Wednesday. We hope you will have a lot of fun with BDO!

Now this is a fantastic paragraph!

I think I want to play this some tonight. And Fortnite. I better play this one first in case I get sucked into Fortnite.

People still playing?

On my fourth month. I’ve stopped with PvP and now I just do making money/quests/breeding horses for fun. It’s quite nice, imho.

It has a lot of technical issues. (i.e. it will disconnect me even when my ISP is still working, and the client tends to just disappear with no warning).

Otherwise it’s pretty great.

Appart from the spyware that is Xigncode3, that is.

We get it.

Good. Carry on. Information is power, etc.

Also: did you know that disconnects is a feature of Xigncode when it misses a heartbeat?

Advice for after level 12? Not a huge fan of the story and quests, interested in some unstructured adventuring and, when I have enough money, some house building.

If the quests haven’t gotten you to Velia yet (usually you’d be around 15 then), you should probably suffer through it until then. Technically until you get there you’re still in the ‘tutorial’. The UI will ‘unlock’ after you do your first ‘boss fight’, not to worry, it’s simple. You can do anything you care to do after that, just watch where you’re going…things will murder you quick if they’re 5 levels higher.

When I got to that point I did a bit of grinding, learned to fish, trained some horses and pretty much learned the very basics of some things. Sadly, you reach a point where you realize that entire main quest line has to be done, but on the bright side, you can do it whenever…I finished it up at 56.

I hate to be That Guy, but I wouldn’t get excited about housing. It’s a lot of work to even get furniture that’s available from vendors (you have to make friends with them, it’s annoying as anything). You can’t actually build your own house, you buy one and fill it with things. If you’re out to make the greatest house, that gives you buffs, has storage in it, and the works, you’ll have to pay real money, and I have no idea how you feel about that. If you want to get competitive about housing, the people with the ‘best’ houses can use investment banks in some cities and maybe make a little silver on the side, but the one person I actually know that managed that spent something like $600 on her decorations from the shop. Ridiculous.

But on the other hand you can do literally everything else for free. Fish, build a sailboat, make tools, gather, hunt, breed horses, cook, farm, do some fancy alchemy, become a trader, fight mobs, fight other players (I guess, I usually avoid that).

It’s all fair game, up to you what you do.

Also going to butt in with you’re not out of the tutorial yet. Additionally there is actually zero combat danger of death until probably around level 45 these days given how much free gear you get dumped with and the boosted XP rates such that you’ll end up seriously outleveling black spirit quest.

Results in what probably is a really terrible and boring new player experience in terms of murderdudes.

I had someone doing the leveling grind with me, much better that way. Not as ‘efficient’ though, I guess. Whatever.

As a new player, follow the Black Spirit questline. That will introduce the entire game. You’ll tour the world, see all the major grinding spots, sample the lifeskills, etc. Those quests also contain the most significant rewards, such as inventory slots and (eventually) a few pieces of very nice gear.

It takes a while, but the 1 - 50 experience is really an extended tutorial. BDO is a complex beast, so it will take a while to absorb it all and to find a niche you enjoy.

Most important, though, find a decent guild so you can turn off /server and /world. The BDO community at large is the worst I have experienced in gaming (caveat, I don’t play MOBA’s or FPS games). If I had to listen to all the basement-bound “hitler did nothing wrong” asshats spout off all day, I wouldn’t make it past Olvia.