SNES CLASSIC EDITION

I still don’t understand why the US has such an ugly SNES…

And behold my brother has managed to acquire several Snes Classics.

My 5 yr old son and 3 yr old daughter are playing Street Fighter II right now and having a blast.

I bet she can kick ass!

Are the games any different on the European version?

No; the Japanese version has some different games but the Western ones are the same.

JPN exclusives:

• Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem
  • The Legend of Mystical Ninja
  • Panel de Pon
  • Super Soccer
  • Super Street Fighter 2: The New Challengers

NA/EU/AU exclusives:

• Earthbound
  • Kirby’s Dream Course
  • Street Fighter 2’ Turbo: Hyper Fighting
  • Super Castlevania 4
  • Super Punch-Out!!

It’s tough, but I think the Western version comes out tops.

But Fire Emblem makes it close.

I don’t think there was ever a Western release of any SNES Fire Emblem game, so unfortunately that omission makes sense.

Eh… not having Tetris Attack is a huuuuge shame.

Mystical Ninja would have been nice too.

So not having a home/reset button on the controller was driving me a bit crazy. Good thing I still have my Wii classic controller which works great and the home button does a reset. Also, you can do a soft reset (resets the game you are in but doesn’t bring you back to the main menu) by holding L, R, select, start (hold it for a bit).

There is a pair of 10ft extension cables for $6 prime right now:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071YP6SX6
I just ordered them.

So essentially every single review/hands-on/first-look type video I’ve seen of the snes classic has insisted showing the game in the default 4:3 mode with occasional nods to the pixel perfect option, but always throwing shade at the CRT setting.

What am I missing? CRT mode is the ONLY way to make these games look anything like a real snes did. The unfiltered modes are harsh and ugly. The scanlines don’t look as good as say a PVM RGB setup, but on a 65’ plasma, it’s as good as it’s gonna get. But I have yet to see anyone else speak positively on it, so listen up: CRT mode is fine, gang.

Just as an aside, I did some direct comparisons between my PI 3 box and the snesC, and the input latency is significantly better on the classic. Also: I LOVE the way these gamepads feel. Best reissue ever.

I agree that CRT mode is the way to go. Subtle but helpful effect.

Yep. The CRT filter sucks on the NES Classic but it’s crucial on the SNES. The game graphics are designed for it.

So I’ve been hearing the Analogue Nt mini is like the coolest thing if you want a retro NES console. Is that what a real hobbyist gets? It’s a pricey toy, though, roughly the same as a Ps4 Pro.

https://www.analogue.co/pages/nt-mini

It’s such a shame that they ran into those memory limitations.

It’s what a real hobbyist makes fun of while playing games on their actual NES connected to a CRT.

Are there any strategy RPGs in the Western version?

No. I might mod mine once it’s safe to add a couple games.

Yay, I have my SNES. Booo, having to hit the rest button to get back to the system menu sucks. But yay!

Maybe they will address this in a firmware update.

This wireless controller also has a feature that goes to the menu. Of course it’s another $25.00. I got those extension cables Arogan posted earlier and while they help I still have to get my lazy ass up to reset.

https://smile.amazon.com/8Bitdo-Wireless-Controller-Classic-super-nintendo/dp/B074HBNNH6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1507328264&sr=8-4&keywords=8Bitdo%2BSN30&th=1