SNES CLASSIC EDITION

If they could hit four controllers in the box at $100, I think that would be excellent, and personally my favorite of the “classics” so far. I’m just skeptical.

I think it’s reasonable to be skeptical. I just find it hard to believe that Nintendo looks at the success of the NES and SNES and just says “Nah, that sounds too hard” and leaves all that money and goodwill on the table.

Sure but for SNES, Secret of Mana made the cut as did Earthbound. Even a Final Fantasy. Those lucky bastards in Japan even got Mystic Ninja. I love Mystic Ninja!

One can hope that the improvements to the SNES production and the upcoming new production run of the NES classic mean Nintendo would see it the same way. On the other hand, I think they point to the difficulty in trying to make rational predictions about when Nintendo will and won’t leave money on the table. :) See also: Switch Virtual Console plans?

Haha, fair enough. Nintendo can be inscrutable. We may all just be trying to find meaning in their legitimately random movements.

N64 Virtual Console on Wii was solid. Emulation isn’t an issue for Nintendo there.

Ogre Battle 64 came to Virtual Console via Square-Enix. It’s on Wii and Wii U.

Sin & Punishment would be in there. Namco would probably get Ridge Racer 64 in there. An N64 edition has already been rumored. I think someone found a patent or something earlier this year? It’ll happen.

N64 classic is a bad idea. That was not a good console.

Put the 5 worthwhile n64 games on the Switch virtual console and make GBA Classic, a handheld retro console.

I seriously doubt a N64 Classic will come with 4 controllers. I’d wager $100 with one controller.

N64 Virtual Console on Wii and Wii U was very limited with what games were available, with only 21 games on either platform, most of which were first- or second-party - for comparison, the Wii U got 31 DS Virtual Console games.

N64 emulation has traditionally required a significant amount of work to get up and running, and the most popular unofficial emulators have always had to resort to game-specific hacks for just about every “working” title. Developers capable of working on such a thing, knowledgeable about console hardware, and interested in emulation development typically shy away from working on N64 emulation because of the arcane nature of the platform - I have multiple friends who actively work on MAME development, one of which has also been developing a cycle-accurate WonderSwan emulator for the last couple of years, and none of them will touch N64 dev, because it’s not worth the insane amount of work to get a few neat games running and have a million people bitch at you when they can’t get Super Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time working right on their toaster.

N64 is my second favorite console, after SNES.

It’s also my 2nd favorite, after Xbox 360.

Gamecube is my favorite, then Genesis. SNES after that, probably?

I suck at games.

I think it’s pretty easy to see they can get 20 games together if they want to, though. Even just the list of what’s already working would probably sell machines. Pokemon Puzzle League, Mario Kart 64, Super Smash Bros. and Bomberman Hero were available on Wii. These are the Wii U games…

1080º Snowboarding
Bomberman 64
Harvest Moon 64
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
Star Fox 64
F-Zero X
Pokémon Snap
Mario Party 2
The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
Excitebike 64
Wave Race 64
Yoshi’s Story
Mario Golf
Sin & Punishment
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Mario Tennis
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Paper Mario
Donkey Kong 64
Super Mario 64

They’d have to go to third parties for some stuff, but really, they don’t have to. They’ve got everything they need in that list short of Goldeneye and that would probably take a lot of work behind the scenes to license it. That said, they might try it!

Yeah, what they’ve got there would be great for a standalone box - like I said, outside of some potential licensing weirdness that’s already been addressed, the actual problem with a potential N64 Classic is the emulation, not which games they can put on it.

I would buy a 64 just for wave race, best feeling water physics ever made.

I kind of forgot about that game. I remember renting it so many times too, and that N64 was not my system, it was my little sisters. At the time, I don’t think there was anything out there even remotely close to doing what it did.

I never owned an N64 so I might buy a CE if they released one. Maybe. I would play:

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Ogre Battle 64
Star Fox 64
Mario Golf
Paper Mario
Mario Tennis
Mario Kart 64
Jet Force Gemini
Pilot Wings 64
Wave Race 64

Wave Race 64 was a milestone in water rendering and using realistic physical properties of it to create a videogame where it wasn’t just for pretty. It was way ahead of its time and I can’t think of much that came after that utilized water in such an amazing way.

If it doesn’t have Goldeneye, it isn’t worth it.

Did the N64 have a lot of RPGs? I know that Final Fantasy moved to the PlayStation, probably because a disc could store more FMVs than a cartridge.