SNES CLASSIC EDITION

On Metal Jesus they were pretty positive regarding the Retron 5 when it comes to playing cartridges of older systems: Metal Jesus about Retron 5

Devices like the Retron 5 have always been rather poor for their intended purpose, which is why alternatives like the Analogue devices exist. They might work fine for a few games, but once you start digging into any supported system’s library, you’ll find constant emulation issues (because all of them are just emulation boxes) and other problems like system-wide input lag. If you want to use actual cartridges, you’d be far better off buying the real consoles (or, if you really want to spend the money, the Analogue boxes) than any version of the Retron line.

If we’re doing FPGAs then when will we get some multi-console single box solutions? All you need is a cartridge port, maybe via a low profile cable.

To hell with these damn single use appliances.

The previous version of the Analogue Nt was “jailbroke” (by the developer) and added support for other systems. People are hoping this one will follow suit.

Emulation or were people plugging in their cartridges?

Give people that physical feeling and the original style controllers, but do it all with one box.

Oh I see what you’re saying. No, it was via FPGA emu simulation.

On a whim, I stopped by the local Best Buy. Sure enough, they had the SNES Classic in stock. Nice!

Well, if you can get one at a normal price, I might get one.

Did any NES Classics also bubble up to the surface? I heard they would start producing those again as well.

I picked up one yesterday. Seems a big shipment dropped Wednesday night at Best Buy’s and targets, so may be worth a look.

My understanding is that they made it possible to simulate the other hardware with the Analogue Nt (which has a weaker FPGA chip than the Super Nt) but obviously the cart slot was only accepting NES/Famicom so you had to use ROMs for the other systems.

The hope is that the Super Nt will allow for more. Either way, just SNES is a big win. I really struggle with most emulation because as noted above, it is not perfect, and is often far from it. The RetroN 5 is not much better than previous RetroN releases. It’s just cheap.

The Super Nt should play every game perfectly.

NES Classic should start appearing again next year.

I’m still yet to see one in the wild. I have to hit Best Buy to pick up my daughters gift. If by some miracle they have one I’ll grab it. I still see people selling them privately for like 150 bucks. Sigh

Only 150 for the resellers… stock must be hard to get but not impossible. This pops up on the deal sites once in awhile, so it’s still possible to hunt one down, for retail.

I caved and bought one for £120 off a (decently reviewed) Amazon marketplace seller. In my defence, it’s a Christmas present for my niece, and I can’t risk waiting any longer as I’ll be out of town soon.

It’s a nice gift to give. I gave an NES classic to my little sister last year. She was pretty excited. I did get retail but I really thought it wasn’t going to come… me standing in line with everyone else on Christmas eve thinking boy some employee better not have swiped that.

Target near me has SNES Classic. Just a couple left but they are available.

Well I was wrong. Big pile at Best Buy so I grabbed one. Woo

Nice! Congrats man 😄

Who in the heck would still have SNES cartridges? They must be collector items by now. Back to the old school blowing out the cartridge to get it to work too.

I have a box full of SNES and Genesis carts. Of course, I still actively play both systems…

And yes, quite a few are collectors’ items. A cartridge copy of EarthBound costs more than the SNES Classic by itself.