SNES CLASSIC EDITION

I have every SNES cartridge I’ve ever owned. Why would that be weird. I still have the system too.

Not particularly wierd, just not common… surely…

Far more common than you think. Whole stores are devoted to buying and selling them.

I don’t think it’s as uncommon as you think it is. When the video rental stores sold their games to make room for the newer systems, I bought what I could. You gotta remember SNES and NES created a generation of gamers who basically grew up playing games. There are a ton of them out there and not everyone pawned them when they got older.

It seems alien to me too. After all, I grew up playing games on my Amstrad 128. I don’t have my Amstrad 3 inch discs anymore. Later it was IBM PC, and I don’t have those boxes and discs any more. My first console was the N64, and I gave away those cartidges as well, eventually. The only reason I kept my original Xbox discs is because my brother insisted I should keep them around so that his kid could play them when he got older.

Well I’ve seen the kids who exchanged their games for 10 cents, so I know a lot of people sold them. I understand everybody didn’t do that. I’m just saying I don’t think it’s as small a group as Cardwell thinks it is.

Unfortunately for me, circumstances were such that I was a Genesis kid, and while I have all my vintage cartridges…I somehow doubt they’re as in-demand as the equivalent SNES collection.

Depends what you have. All games from the 8, 16 and even 32-bit era have appreciated quite a bit. Nintendo stuff a little more in some cases, but SEGA software is also in high demand. For example, my copy of M.U.S.H.A for Genesis sells for $300 or more. In general, my collection is worth more today than when I bought it.

M.U.S.H.A. is a rare exception for Genesis games - very few are worth more than $20, even the big RPGs like Phantasy Star and Shining Force. I paid less to get copies of the three Genesis Phantasy Star games than I would for a cartridge-only copy of Chrono Trigger on SNES.

I have my Atari 5200 games! Too bad the controllers don’t work any more and it’s difficult to hook up to a modern TV.

Dreadnought Factor and Miner 2049er forever!

Geez it’s stupid easy to add more games to the console. I have it jam packed with crap now. :) Had a blast playing some two player games with my daughter.

Hmm, I figured such tools were out there, and he lack of the Super Star Wars games is a compelling case…

I wasn’t sure if it was okay to bring it up so I won’t post links or names, but it’s easy to find. You run an executable and then it walks you through everything. It took me 10 minutes. I have like 70 games on there including all 3 Star Wars games, pilotwings, NHL 94… You can even put the box art so it shows in the menu.

Well, Nintendo is certainly ok with the console being hackable, since they included text for the hackers and made the process easier that in the NES mini.

Now, adding games you don’t own the IP for is a darker area…

Well either way I’m very happy with the purchase. I don’t think the NES would have been nearly as interesting to me so I’m not sad that I skipped that one. This one I could see us using a lot and for 70 bucks I can’t complain about much aside from the short cables. Sigh…

Edit
Quick Amazon search shows I can get two longer cables for 8 bucks. Which is an extra 10 feet. So ya I’m happy with this. Super glad I was able to actually find it in the wild. I wasn’t even looking for it in particular. Now I just have to wait for Christmas so that my daughter can open her gaming laptop. I don’t think we’re ever leaving the house again. ;)

Yeah, the NES doesn’t have much appeal for me now. But SNES was advanced enough that 2D games from that era still look good, depending on their artwork.

The only thing I’m scared of is that d-pad. I was a PC gamer at the time, and I hated d-pads. And then I continued to hate them on the N64, Xbox, PS2, 360, PS3, PS4, XB1, etc. Maybe the SNES will turn me around on d-pads finally.

Nintendo, IIRC, holds the patent on one of only a couple of moderately decent d-pad designs ever achieved.

I mean, it’s still a d-pad, which sucks, but it sucks less.

Eh it’s a d-pad. it works fine for what you are doing on an SNES. Is it perfect? Heck no, but it works. All I know is that I have a tiny little box that has like 70+ SNES games on it. This makes me happy. ;)

My SNES experience was in 2002-2003. My roommate had a modded Xbox. So besides XBMC, it also had emulators for NES, SNES, Sega stuff. It was overwhelming because there was so much stuff. So I played Chronotrigger, all the way through, and I started Final Fantasy III aka 6. But after Chronotrigger, I was kind of RPG’d out. So I only got partway through FF6.

One of my favorite things about the emulator was:

1. Being able to save the state of the game anywhere
  2. The fast forward button, enabling me to speed through long animations and cutscenes and all kinds of things that were a waste of time.

I just appreciate legal ways to obtain these games. I will assume when I buy the classics, everyone gets their share. If I buy one of these you can use a cartridge things, everyone got their share years ago when the cartride was purchased.

I would prefer a better way to legally get these games outside of overpriced virtual shops that you used to have to rebuy all the time, but I think Nintendo has accounts now someone said, so maybe that’s another good option… but not all the games are there.