SNES CLASSIC EDITION

I agree about FF3/6. But other games like Star Fox (and probably Star Fox 2) are short action game that require less of a time commitment. Same with games like Super Metroid and Super Mario Kart and Donkey Kong Country and F-Zero.

I must have muted whatever other topic you guys are talking about. Hah.

Just called my local gamestop and its not in their system yet for preorders and they don’t know if or when it will be.

Apparently nes version was never preorderable either.

Gonna check again in a few days.

Oh, everyone started making predictions that there would be the SNES treatment in the NES Classic topic. Let’s see how my predictions from long ago in april 2017 fared:

Not bad, but I guess it’s a no-brainer. Didn’t get Dracula X, TMNT, Tetris Attack or DKC2, though. NO BUY!!! :-(

Oh okay, I thought there was an active discussion I was missing.

Perhaps your post planted a seed in my mind. Looking at the game list confirms it.

I’ve got $71 of Gamestop credit and never played any of those games before (I never owned any Nintendo console other than handhelds). Thinking I should blow my wad on this?

Considering you might be able to sell it back at a profit anyway, I don’t think you can go wrong much.

I guess that depends on your tastes. I would contend that several of those games are among the best games ever made, and absolutely hold up. I hold no reservations about suggesting someone play Super Metroid, Link to the Past, Super Mario World, or Final Fantasy 6 today, even with no nostalgic attachment. I played them all for the first time many years later myself, long into the GameCube/ PS2 era, and thought they absolutely held up.

Also what @Woodlance said.

So what do I need to do to improve my odds of getting one? I wanted the NES but it sold out before I could get one.

The notorious rarity of the NES version will make the SNES even harder to get. I bet tons of people will try to buy it just flip on Ebay.

As long as Nintendo plays this ticket scalper rarity game, I refuse to be interested.

Honestly? Monitor Brickseek and NowInStock. To get the NES I checked Brickseek every morning when I woke up, as Target updated their systems at 5am. If I saw stock at my local target, I drove over and stood outside playing games on my phone until they opened. I got 2 NES Classics that way, then I stopped looking.

I got the Nintendo Switch using NowInStock. a bell went off at work one day and I was able to order it on Gamestop.com.

It’s a pain in the ass but wtf else are you going to do at 5am, sleep?

Go for a run.

(no, really)

Normally that’s when I go to the gym which is why I’m up at that hour. Nintendo products take priority over fitness, however.

Two Kirby and Starfox games, but no Zombies Ate My Neighbors? Garbage.

I hope the sound emulation is top notch. Good set of games.

Nintendo marketing is brilliant. Difficult to find + artificial limited supply + possibility of discontinuation = license to print money.

Update from that Kotaku piece:

UPDATE (1:53pm): When asked by Kotaku, Nintendo said it does plan to ship more SNES Classics than NES Classics, but only this year.

We aren’t providing specific numbers, but we will produce significantly more units of Super NES Classic Edition than we did of NES Classic Edition.

Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition is currently planned to ship from Sept. 29 until the end of calendar year 2017. At this time, we have nothing to announce regarding any possible shipments beyond this year.

Our long-term efforts are focused on delivering great games for the Nintendo Switch system and continuing to build momentum for that platform, as well as serving the more than 63 million owners of Nintendo 3DS family systems. We are offering Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition in special recognition of the fans who show tremendous interest our classic content.

The more I think about the SNES Classic, the more angry I am that Nintendo can’t give any straight answers about their Virtual Console plans for the Switch. If most of these games end up being available on the Switch, I won’t really care about the SNES Classic, but if the SNES Classic comes and goes and then the Virtual Console scene turns out to be disappointing in some regard, I’m going to be mad.

I’m not so cynical as to suspect they’re intentionally limiting the SNES Classic run to drive up demand again, and that they’re holding off on VC announcements so it doesn’t cut into the SNES Classic. I think more likely they’re just as bafflingly bad at this sort of thing as they’ve always been. But either way it frustrates me.

I am with you: I think their young age memories and emotional attachment tend to make a lot of people see “evil” in Nintendo’s management, where there is probably only standard ineptitude.

If they had these games, with MP, on the Switch, I would buy the switch myself and give my young nephew the SNES Classic.