So a new Costco business center opened locally...

“Crappy Pepsi products” is redundant.

Wow, lots of Coke partisans in here.

Heh, being from Atlanta I got used to only seeing Pepsi stuff in supermarkets and chains that had contracts with them. When someone said they wanted a soda they meant a Coke. In fact, “Coke” was the term used universally to refer to any carbonated soft drink. “Here, want a Coke?” while handing you anything from an orange soda to ginger ale.

Sadly, here in upstate NY it is hard to find Coke in restaurants, except for big chains that have national contracts (such as Chili’s). All of the local diners are Pepsi :(

Except for one, which is RC Cola for some fucked-up reason.

3 cheers for RC Cola still being in business! That’s good to hear.

They have lots of flavors, I’ve tried the RC Mountain Rain, like 99% similar to Mt Dew.

https://www.rccolainternational.com/our-brands/

I used to not mind Diet Pepsi, but the last time they did one of their recipe changes the Diet version tasted terrible to me. Even worse when it’s from a fountain which is odd since usually fountain drinks are better then their bottled versions. Pepsi Max is still ok, but just plain Diet Pepsi is trash. And the pepsi drinks are a main reason I don’t get food at Costco more often. But when I’m not on Keto their fresh pizza is freaking amazing and worth having to yack down pepsi.

RC is great for sure, but the regional store HEB’s brands are all superior to the real brands. Both diet and regular.

We knew RC (Royal Crown) Cola as the go-to pairing for Moonpies. “RC and a Moonpie” was one of the few exceptions to the Coke-only norm. I even went to a bottling plant in Columbus, GA eons ago. Actually don’t recall what the soda tastes like though. I don’t drink sodas at all any more.

It tastes like flat Coke, mostly.

So, still better than Pepsi.

+1…

In the 40th millennium, there is only war…war, and $1.50 hotdogs at Costco.

At this point the hot dog thing is just good PR for them. I love all the focus on the hot dog price but let’s be honest, you can still make a small profit off a $1.50 hot dog. Maybe in the range of pennies, but with the economics of scale at which they acquire hot dogs and buns and how cheap it is to steam things … it couldn’t really cost much. Adding the fixings to them is another story, depending on what is ordered.

Sure, they COULD charge more, like other businesses, but it also falls under the category of a loss leader, getting people to Costco and hopefully shopping for more while there. In the same category, Wal-Mart and others have cooked rotisserie chicken at super cheap pricing, many times lower per weight than uncooked roaster chicken. The same policy applies there, it is a loss leader. How often does a shopper just go to the store for a cooked rotisserie chicken and nothing else?

They even świtched to manufacturing their own hot dogs to keep the cost down. I might’ve learned that from QT3, but I can’t find it. I’m sure the change is noticeable, but not to me.

Their chicken bake thing had its price raised substantially, but that’s hardly an icon. The standalone soda also had its price increased 10c. That would’ve been a relatively easy time to bump the hot-dog-and-soda combo to $1.60 if they were ever going to do it.

Yep , the Chicken Bake is now $4

Better off just getting a whole rotisserie chicken for $5.

I only visit costco once a month, but usually end up coming home with 3 chickens. :D

I’m glad they held the line on rotisserie chicken. They bumped up the whole organic chickens considerably last year. We still buy a lot of them, though. So much soup!

In the case of my wife, quite often.

Edit: I may have mentioned that I worked in the deli of a Brooklyn supermarket. Yeah the chickens were a loss leader. And we had to get them cooking ASAP. Because the aroma of roasting chicken was very good for business.

I am a madman who has gone into Costco on a Sunday afternoon for a bunch of bananas, which the cashier noted might be the single cheapest thing you can buy in the entire store.

Of course, it helps that the Costco is within walking distance of my place. But when you’re surrounded by families loaded with carts stuffed with hundreds of dollars of goods, you stand out to the staff if all you’re walking out with is just one thing.

I routinely go into Costco for a handful of things and leave with 3-4-500 dollars of stuff in the cart. Ah, let’s be real, 300 would be unusual.