So, Boy Scouts: evil, pure evil, or sometimes non-evil?

I think they are afraid that the huge amount of local boy scout troops that are supported by local churches will suddenly evaporate.

Probably right to an extent. I know the Mormon Church supports the scouts and also the Catholics. There are also other churches but not every church is anti-gay. Many have welcomed gay clergy.

The Mormon Church put out a statement basically saying we’re glad they held off to make sure they understand the implications, but we’re not putting out a statement saying whether we are for or against it. To me saying they are glad it’s being put off says they are against getting rid of the ban, but I guess we’ll see. They’ve made slight changes in the language they’ve used toward gays in the past, but I’m not getting my hopes up.

"For 100 years, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has enjoyed a strong, rewarding relationship with Boy Scouts of America as both organizations have worked to build and strengthen the moral character and leadership skills of young men.

The recent announcement that BSA planned to make a policy change in its standards for membership and leadership has triggered intense debate from many segments of society. We believe BSA has acted wisely in delaying a vote on this policy issue until the implications can be more carefully evaluated.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is carefully assessing the consequences of this policy change on the Church’s program to build and strengthen young men, but it has not commented on it and a decision will not be made until we have assessed all of the implications. We caution others not to speculate about our position or to assume that individual Latter-day Saints inside or outside the scouting movement speak for the Church. Neither has the Church launched any campaign either to effect or prevent a policy change."

“After careful consideration and extensive dialogue within the Scouting family, along with comments from those outside the organization, the volunteer officers of the Boy Scouts of America’s National Executive Board concluded that due to the fact that a grown man spending time in a tent with heterosexual boys is a right, we don’t want no fags ruining it for us,” Deron Smith, BSA’s director of public relations, explained the delay in a statement.

In other notes, it was decided that the naked splashing in the lake was to now be called, “Naked Heterosexual Splashing in the Lake.”

Unsubscribe as I might, I still get occasional Scouting spam. But today my email inbox held a winner:

Then it linked to a websurvey with questions like “Bobby joins the Tiger Cubs. His den nominates his mother to be a den mother. The boys know his mother is a lesbian. On a scale from totally acceptable to totally unacceptable, how acceptable would you find Bobby’s mother becoming a den mother?” Looks like they’re trying to feel out the old guard’s reactions to maybe becoming a little bit gay. It’s an itty bitty step in the right direction.

(Then I got an email saying that this guy in Africa needs my help selling erection drugs. A Scout is helpful.)

Be Prepared!

I had heard on the news that the Boy Scouts were sending out questionaires about their stance on the gay scouts issue, but that question is pretty damn stupid. I think the leadership meets again in May and expects to vote on the issue.

The stupidity of the whole issue is easily demonstrated by answering the question in the negative, but phrased so as to include the inference made:

“I believe all sexual intercourse within the Boy Scouts should be heterosexual.”

If nobody is doing it, then you don’t need a policy. I’m sure they don’t have a policy about rhinoceros storage during meetings, either.

Houngan - so glad you used the article “the.”

Several times, sorry I’m missing what you’re saying. My point was that hopefully there’s no sex at all involved in Boy Scouts, so sexual orientation shouldn’t matter one way or the other. Unless it’s rhinoceros sex. Hot, dirty rhinos going at it, getting their merit badges in The Nasty . . .

I’ll be in my safari hammock.

All puns can be improved, but some puns don’t merit (haha!) improvement.

I like your joke about rhinoceros sex. Maybe even a little too much.

Let me know when the hammock is free.

I am a little uncomfortable with where those last two posts are going.

I am surprised to learn that Tim and Houngan share a hammock.

And, if we can get her drunk enough, the rhino. It’s always so awkward when you wake up the next day and Tim is spooning her horn.

Awkward…

Oh thank GOD! It’s a female rhino. For a moment there I thought you two were strange or something…

AWWWWW YEEEAHHHH.

Hey baby. How you doin’?

I call the horn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVmRpIWovdk