So I got an X-Box

If you’ve ever driven nails into your own forehead and said “this doesn’t hurt enough,” then Ninja Gaiden is a must buy.

Jeeze, really. I understand the appeal of Ninja Gaiden, but there are very few people to whom I would recommend it.

It is, however, one of the easiest ways to drive non-gamers away from gaming!

-Tom

You ever heard of a little thing called Halo 2 ;)

Thats my favorite part of Halo2 hands down - its multiplayer setup. If you’ve got Live, your a silly fool not to play Halo 2.

Why get Riddick on the xbox instead of the PC? Unless you have a preference for controllers to go with your FPS, the PC version seems superior. The Developers Cut adds both levels (well, so it claims, I haven’t played the xbox version), and the commentary mode, on top of generally improved graphics.

Thats my favorite part of Halo2 hands down - its multiplayer setup. If you’ve got Live, your a silly fool not to play Halo 2.[/quote]

I know where you’re coming from, but I play online shooters almost exclusively on the PC. Let’s just say that UC didn’t change my mind about joystick aiming.

I haven’t actually bought it yet, and probably won’t for awhile. I don’t generally buy games like this for the PC, though (no Thiefs, no Half-Lifes, no Deus Exes), so I hadn’t really even considered picking up the PC version. I suppose if I am going to buy it at some point, I probably should.

For some reason FPS’s seem more suited to the console medium for me. Maybe it’s the immersion factor. It’s not like I play that many of them as it is.

Thats my favorite part of Halo2 hands down - its multiplayer setup. If you’ve got Live, your a silly fool not to play Halo 2.[/quote]

I know where you’re coming from, but I play online shooters almost exclusively on the PC. Let’s just say that UC didn’t change my mind about joystick aiming.[/quote]

Actually, its a lot of fun in UC to turn off auto-aim and use a Rocket Launcher. I never really had fun with the auto-aim though, and not much fun with instagib either. Heck, I even joined a clan in UC back in the “day”.

But I know where your coming from, PC shooters just don’t play the same as console shooters do, and I see why someone couldn’t enjoy the type of gameplay it really offers (relying much more on autoaim)

Dammit, i meant to post that on gaidenistehroxxors.com. Aah Ninja Gaiden, my one vice (of many), look what trouble you’ve landed me into again.

Well, from personal experience anyone I know who’s given it a little time has absolutely loved it and people who’ve never seen it and walk into a room where someone’s playing it are totally blown away. Equally, people who’ve sat down with the impression that it’s like Tomb Raider/Splinter Cell with swords, or like Tenchu have been disappointed.

I like beat-em-ups, and I always wanted to play one where it wasn’t just one on one. I wanted to play one where you could fight 2 or 3 people at a time but still retain the complexity that you’d find in a good beat-em-up. Ninja Gaiden is to me the best realisation of this idea i’ve ever seen and a fantastic game to boot. Streets of Rage 2 is the second best :P

So as not to derail the thread I’d also recommend Halo 1/2, Burnout 3 and Project Gotham. I also enjoyed Beyond Good and Evil, Fatal Frame, Riddick, Pro Evo, Splinter Cell and if you can pick up Fable for half nothing then it’s worth it.

YES! Beyond Good and Evil is the game I can’t imagine anyone not liking. It just has so much style, personality and charm as well as a well-crafted french rucksack full of playability which it keeps reaching into for you. From the beginning to the end you are being surprised with new tweaks to the basic formula. There’s not that much distance between the beginning and the end, but if you pick it up cheap you’ll be entirely satisfied.

Recommending Ninja Gaiden and Metal Arms to someone who found Halo too frenetic, OTOH, is just crazy typing. They’re both great, but MA is considerably more mental-action-styles than Halo, and NG is likely to just frustrate you unless you like the frenzy.

Surprised noone’s mentioned Prince of Persia, Sands of Time - one of my picks for favourite game ever. I’ve been steering clear of the sequel because i loved the delicate feel of the first one so much and don’t want to be disappointed. Sensible?

I thought I mentioned Sands of Time in my earlier post, but if not I completely second this recommendation. Awesome game.

I’ll third Prince of Persia: SoT, and most of the other recommendations in this thread.

Thanks again, people. I’ll take a look at Prince of Persia: SoT as well as Beyond Good and Evil and Otogi.

I’m having a blast with Psi-Ops. I’ve only unlocked TK so far, but that alone adds so many creative ways to take out enemies.

Has anyone tried both the PC and X-Box versions of Riddick? If the PC version is that much better I’ll probably eventually go with that, but I am curious as to the differences.

I’ve played both.

There’s no contest- the PC version of Riddick has all of the Xbox content plus a bonus area exclusive to the PC, developer commentary, improved graphics, better controls, faster loading, etc at an already reduced MSRP. The only reason to opt for the Xbox version is if your PC lacks the horsepower for it or if you prefer couch gaming that much more.

[quote=“Kevin_Grey”]

I’ve played both.

There’s no contest- the PC version of Riddick has all of the Xbox content plus a bonus area exclusive to the PC, developer commentary, improved graphics, better controls, faster loading, etc at an already reduced MSRP. The only reason to opt for the Xbox version is if your PC lacks the horsepower for it or if you prefer couch gaming that much more.[/quote]
I totally agree with Kevin’s recommendation, but I want to stress that the Xbox version is still absolutely fantastic to anyone who doesn’t have the PC option.

Try:

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System (only $10 at Best Buy right now)
Gladius (turn-based gladatorial combat) ($cheap now)
Arx Fatalis (FP RPG, also cheap)
Simpsons Hit & Run

Simpsons Hit & Run is a blast if you’re a fan of the show. Metal Arms is a TOUGH 3rd person shooter, don’t let the kid-friendly graphics fool you.

Simpsons Hit & Run is a blast if you’re a fan of the show. Metal Arms is a TOUGH 3rd person shooter, don’t let the kid-friendly graphics fool you.[/quote]

Yeah, I played quite a bit of Simpson’s Hit & Run on a friend’s PS2 last Summer. Fun game, but I probably won’t pick it up for the X-Box. I’ll take a look at the other recommendations.

Metal Arms won best “sleeper hit” from Gamespot when it came out last year and it is my favorite action shooter on Xbox. I would highly recommend you play it on the Normal setting. this will give you quite a challenge. I beat the game, but there were a few areas that needed a few reloads. However, I don’t think the game was unfair. The “hard” difficulty is a real bitch (I’ve never gotten past the 5th level on “Hard”) and the “Nuts of Steel” difficulty is tougher than Halo on Legendary.

The level design is top notch, and there’s lots to do. There’s shooting, some driving, even a little stealth! Remember that you can make Glitch “tip toe” by pushing forward just slightly on the thumbstick (good for sneaking up on a robot and taking over his circuits). Also, when you use the slingshot to fire grenades farther, use the top tip of the antennae that comes out of Glitch’s back as an aiming reticule.

Get here for $10!

I’d also try:

Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance (I and II are both great)
X-Men: Legends
Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (hard!)

All of these are fun single-player but they’re also great co-op games.