So I guess 2016 claimed its biggest victim yet - America

LOL

If I didn’t show up for my job, I’d be fired. Why does the same not happen here?

Same reason they get 255 days off and if you get 10 if you’re lucky.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/20/politics/donald-trump-mar-a-lago-palm-beach/index.html

And Trump reciprocates the love: When groups host events at his club, the extroverted President could always stop by. Earlier this month, Trump crashed a wedding on the property, offering a toast to the bride and groom.

Trump, after rallying his supporters a few hours north in Melbourne, Florida, on Saturday, swung by a Dana Farber Foundation fundraiser at night, snapping pictures and thanking attendees for coming

At a time when courts have stalled part of his agenda, NBC’s “Saturday Night Live” has mercilessly mocked his administration and protests seem to pop up every weekend, Mar-a-Lago has become a safe haven for the President.

Fuck these people.

Yes, it is a little strange. From last week (2/17): A Young Reporter Makes a Soft Query and Pleases an Upset President

A Young Reporter Makes a Soft Query and Pleases an Upset President

A young guy is called on at the press conference and asks the President a kind of weird softball about what Melania Trump does for the country. Trump is pleased and asks who he’s with. The reporter says UNF News and Trump says he’s going to start watching.

Turns out UNF News is Universal News Forever, which is just this 19-year-old who really likes news and has a website. He mostly hangs out at City Hall in New York covering the mayor from a basement press room, but has been chilling at the White House lately and attending Spicer’s brefings (this kind of thing is why I said upthread that it’s not super surprising that Ami Magazine was credentialed to be at the press conference; the standards really aren’t all that much usually). And then the President called on him, because he seemed to be calling on people almost at random sometimes instead of having any idea what he was doing, which is the sort of thing that happens when you wake up one morning and declare an emergency press conference because you feel sad.

In November, almost half of America voted in the guy who was that snobby rich kid from rich kids camp in the summer teen movie.

To be fair, they probably spend a lot of those 255 days hustling and degrading themselves for campaign contributions.

I guess libertarians are officially the enemy now. With their Constitution and rule of law.

God, she is a fucking cancer.

For many libertarians, we served as an accessory for the GOP for a while. Even though we didn’t agree with their social policies, those policies were less impactful than economic policies for the government, so most libertarians ended up leaning towards the Republicans in terms of actual voting.

But at this point, the GOP has abandoned virtually all of its pretenses of small government, and Trump is advocating what are clearly authoritarian views. This puts them directly at odds with libertarian ideals, so you’re starting to see many libertarians (those who actually understand “libertarian” to be something beyond just a cool sounding word, at least), abandon support for the GOP, or at least vocally question its support for Trump.

There’s an opportunity for the left to pull this section of the GOP to their side, if they are willing to make concessions on things like taxation and spending. And really, I think that room exists for such concessions to be made in a reasonable way that could please most people, if control is wrenched away from the ideologues.

Reduction of taxation, and thus increasing of economic freedom, can be achieved in a manner which should appeal to many libertarians, while not breaking the bank or overly rewarding the ultra rich, by simply focusing those tax cuts on everyone EXCEPT the top bracket. Because to be clear, even the most rich person benefits from cuts to the bottom bracket’s taxes… it just happens to be that the amount of money he saves is tiny by comparison to his overall earnings.

But reducing the taxes of the middle (and honestly, even the bottom of the upper class) could be achieved without too much impact, as long as the top bracket was’t changed… and really, the top bracket already enjoys so much economic freedom that the idea we should hold everyone else hostage to benefit them is kind of absurd.

Libertarians will generally back those on the left in terms of reducing laws that limit things like drug use, or try to legislate morality… A new political coalition could be formed if both sides are willing to work together, to fight against the new authoritarian populist movement that Trump represents.

Maybe Trump supporters think liberal and libertarian are the same thing. I mean, they sure look similar, it’s suspicious.

No thanks. They can take their crazy elsewhere.

Yeah, the libertarian party is the traditional refuge for wackos, even if it has also had some sane people, too. Much as one sympathizes with the idea of personal liberty upheld against government authoritarianism, that’s supposed to be what the constitution is for. And as for many libertarian platform points… Private police. Private emergency services. Elimination of the income tax. Community defense against other communities. Sure. Abandon civilization. Go right ahead.

Anyway, I was at least modestly admiring of Ron Paul, because while many of his policies were crazy, at least he mostly stood up for his ideology in a consistent way. But with a few admitted exceptions Rand Paul is a libertarian mouth connected to an ordinary GOP voting body, and I’m unaware of anyone else who even has a semblance of a libertarian position on the national stage.

Anti-Semetics are those things doctors prescribe for nausea.

I’d be willing to make some concessions here- libertarian ideals to be the method of implementation of goals. Things like UBI, which is fundamentally a libertarian idea- are areas that common ground can be reached.

LIbertarians will have to accept that Dems believe markets need competition to be free, and that government can be the way to force competition.

I know if I run for office, I will try to speak to libertarians and McMullin Republicans- we’re going to need every decent person in America to stop Trump.

This is mostly on-point, except for the statement of “the GOP has abandoned…small government”.

In practice, their behavior, their legislation, etc. - yes absolutely they’re not the party of small government.

But the thing this misses is that during the past two decades, they haven’t been the party of small government at all. Whether on social issues, the military, or otherwise, they’ve been the party of large government in practice for decades, both during Bush 2’s 8 years and during Obama’s 8 years.

With Trump, there’s no reason to believe that the GOP will stop pretending that they’re the party of small government. They lied about it during Bush, they lied about it during Obama, and they’ll continue to lie about it during Trump.

They’ll use the repeal of “regulations” as an excuse for why they consider themselves the party of small government while increasing spending, executive actions, regressive social issues, and other policies.

This is absolutely true, and many libertarians said exactly that… but the thing that’s changed is that the GOP has now straight-up embraced authoritarian populism.

Sure, but there’s no reason to think that they won’t continue to pretend to be the party of small government, and trick tens of millions of people into believing it.

I mean all you have to do is say something an literally tens of millions of people will believe it.