So I guess 2016 claimed its biggest victim yet - America

Tom Cotton is losing a debate to an 8 year old child, literally, while being live streamed.

He looks like a douchier, fatter, older Henry Rollins.

… you are correct. Wow, look at that.

That was Tom Emmer of Minnesota.

Agreed. Unfortunately, he is pretty representative of the 3rd district, where he just won 73.5% of the vote in the last election.

If he was refusing to investigate Hillary or Obama, he’d be out of a job instantly. Unfortunately, since he’s on the right team, no one in his district cares.

The sweatiest nutsack of all.

Huh, I think the continuation stream may have had a copy/paste error in the title. The description says he’s Tom Cotton and part 1 of the same event identified him as Tom Cotton.

Edit: Ah, looks like the same stream channel was being used for for multiple topics and the title wasn’t being updated quickly enough.

She sure sounds like a TV preacher. I assume they vote heavily Republican.

In Arkansas? I’m guessing that is a safe bet.

Edit: Trump won the county by 10% which is less than some counties.

Actually 10 arrested and one wounded at Standing Rock. It’s pretty much over.

Tom’s night isn’t going so well.

Shining City on a Hill, we ain’t.

ICE is also harassing the families of members of the Armed Forces - ignoring a program the Defense Department specifically requested:

https://twitter.com/dabeard/status/834591921511202817/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

And yet, in the middle of all of this, no one is actually discussing immigration policy per se–that is, what are our goals. And no, nebulous claims of “security” don’t cut it. There is space for a serious discussion of just what place immigration has for our society, how do we manage immigration, and what ultimately we want out of all of this. I mean, no one has actually made any serious attempt to argue just why illegal immigrants who are working in this country pose some sort of threat, or are even detrimental in any way to society. I’m sure there are cogent arguments people could make, but we don’t ever get them. We get bizarre rants about jobs being taken, that have little basis in fact, and we get lots and lots of thinly disguised racism, to the effect that “America is a white, Christian country,” but few will come right out and say that’s what they really mean.

The other side is better, but still, the reaction against the deportations and entry ban, while justified generally doesn’t usually delve into a discussion of what the overall goal of immigration policy should be, either. Clearly you can make arguments that justify a nation controlling entry and access to its resources; every nation does this. Clearly you can make arguments about the pros and cons of largely unfettered immigration. But instead, we get knee-jerk reactions on all sides. Now, I think the knee-jerk reactions from the left here are more appropriate than those of the right, but I’d still rather see someone start a real discussion on immigration, and discuss seriously the deeper issues.

But then, that takes two, and while I think you might find some on the left to engage with this, so far I’ve seen zero evidence that anyone on the right is willing to do more than scream about brown people.

Disgusting.

https://twitter.com/annediego/status/834572312317923328

What the fuck.

This is America. You don’t need to show every petty thug your “papers” to move around the country.

Fucking burn it down.

Well, Missouri is the “Show Me” state.

America is now the “Show me your papers” country.

Great.

As I noted in another thread, none of this crap is accompanied by the slightest shred of actual policy discussion. No one is actually talking about what the goal is, or what we expect immigration and border policies to actually do, or what the actual problem is that these ludicrous measures are supposed to solve. Maybe there is a sound reason beyond people desperately trying to make the USA a white, Christian paradise free of brown people, but seriously, there seems to be no other narrative whatsoever coming out of the administration or its supporters.

I mean, what’s the threat? Illegal immigrants working? How terrible! Terrorism? Show me some evidence that links any of the immigration policies to terrorism. No, this is all about a frantic attempt by people who have this odd idea that the Constitution and the ideals of the USA were intended only for a small subset of white, northern European Protestants. Preferably white, northern European Protestants who act exactly in a manner guaranteed not to make anyone aware that there is anything else in the world other than white, northern European Protestants.

It’s straight up racial profiling if all they are doing is looking at the names of passengers and/or their skin tone to decide if they should be asked for papers. I feel like one of the best things we could do to combat this type of behavior and profiling is to inject ourselves into the checking so that the authorities also have to check the papers of all white people that they cannot profile.