So I guess 2016 claimed its biggest victim yet - America

I’ll have to remember that for the next time I have to deal with auditors at work.

Amazing. “We fudged the numbers up because in other places we fudged down. Cool, right?”

Yeah, there’s totally PROBABLY another 5 billion in other stuff. I mean, relax, guy!

“We stand by the fact that we’re incompetent morons who are scamming the public.”

As an obnoxious for-instance, in NC, the best way to get my gf onto Medicaid when she was at her sickest, most fragile state wasn’t to apply for disability (cuz that’s a shitshow), but rather to knock her up and leave her. Guaranteed Medicaid!

:-(

Only we’re talking about $2 Trillion.

You are fucking kidding me.

“Fuck it. Just lie about everything. All the time. We’re here to loot these idiots, not impress their moms.”

The funny thing is that we’re not actually even talking about only $2 Trillion and at a certain level the Republicans are winning on message there because this double count distracts from the other fairy tale. Pretty sure Timex meant $5T and just got it wrong.

They are cutting 5.5T in taxes claiming this will result in a net increase of 2T in tax revenue due to growth. They are double counting the growth of the economy to both offset the 5.5T and add 2T more. Focusing on the fact that the extra 2T in gains is fake (aka these tax cuts won’t lead to increased total revenue) ignores the fact that it also won’t make up for the 5.5T in taxes cut. The reality is that it will result in something like 5T less than they are claiming, not just the 2T.

It’s hard to say since it’s Who’s Budget Is It Anyway? where the numbers are made up and the deficit doesn’t matter.

A whole lot of us here in texas don’t vote republican, yet the gerrymandering is real and we suffer. The presidential election went 52% to 43%, with all of the major cities (Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, El Paso) going for clinton, so you don’t have to avoid texas, just avoid rural texas.

As someone who has researched and investigated state congressional gerrymandering, no need remind me! I’ve seen what they did with Austin.

Rural Trump voters shocked and dismayed when Trump looks to make good on a campaign promise that directly impacts their livelihoods.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/trumps-combative-trade-stance-makes-us-farmers-nervous-47506264

[quote]NAFTA and other deals have been good for American farmers, who stand to lose if Trump ditches the pact or ignites a trade war. The United States has enjoyed a trade surplus in farm products since at least 1967, government data show. Last year, farm exports exceeded imports by $20.5 billion.

“You don’t start off trade negotiations … by picking fights with your trade partners that are completely unnecessary,” says Aaron Lehman, a fifth-generation Iowa farmer who produces corn, soybeans, oats and hay.

Many farmers worry that Trump’s policies will jeopardize their exports just as they face weaker crop and livestock prices.

“It comes up pretty quickly in conversation,” says Blake Hurst, a corn and soybean farmer in northwestern Missouri’s Atchison County.

That county’s voters backed Trump more than 3-to-1 in the election but now feel “it would be better if the rhetoric (on trade) was a little less strident,” says Hurst, president of the Missouri Farm Bureau.[/quote]

Huh…it’s almost like they didn’t even understand how they were voting directly against their own best interests.

Ya, this. Sorry, billion, trillion. Whatever! I’m sure they probably can find that in the budget’s couch cushions or something.

It’s really awesome, because their argument is, “Yeah, we know that we made a $5 trillion accounting error, but we’re pretty sure we made other errors adding up to at least $5 trillion.”

[quote=“Timex, post:3613, topic:126885, full:true”]
Ya, this. Sorry, billion, trillion. Whatever![/quote]

http://gph.is/28TxQAt

Polishing up the resume for a job at the Department of Finance, eh?

Heh, I remember reading about how numbers like “Trillion” are really only used in things like finance… It’s not a scale that you generally encounter in nature.

Like all the stars in the whole galaxy is only 100 billion. To get to numbers in the trillions, you’re talking about all the stars in every galaxy in the entire universe, and you still only have maybe 10 trillion.

They are numbers which have no real meaning in your brain.

It’s like how most animals perceive numbers. Really smart animals can sometimes count up to some number like 10… Crows can supposedly count up to nearly 20. Any number beyond that is just “many”. And that’s where numbers like “a trillion” exist for us. We can perform abstract operations on them, but they mean really nothing from a cognitive perspective. Like, what would a trillion apples look like? Whatever you are imagining is almost certainly wrong.

So what’s the Latino voter representation like? Does that group get out and vote in good numbers? I think that’s the best hope to sway the state. After all, that’s why the Republicans do everything they can to suppress voting.

Except if you start cutting things that cost a few million dollars and people say yeah let’s cut it, that’s a lot… well yeah it is but then you look at the entire budget and realize that the loss of money to student debt is pittance in comparison to the rest of the much larger, read huge, budget.

Trump comes across like a moron, but he manages to play a lot of people for fools.