So I guess 2016 claimed its biggest victim yet - America

Well I was meaning the end stage game of this type of behavior. It starts with things like this, and slides into the type of oppressive machine and authoritarianism that Erdogan pursues. you’ve got to prime the pump first, get the public to accept such measures before dropping the hammer. To move from a free society to… something else.

Nah, just getting back to the good old days.

Ha! True.

Hmm…Maybe I will run for an Ohio Senate seat just so I can piledrive Hannity.

I would immediately withdraw from the race afterwards obviously, publishing a statement to the effect of:
“I officially withdraw as a candidate for this race, as no legislation I could pass as a representative could possibly do the public a greater service than what I’ve done here today. Thank you.”

I’d chip in a hundo for your bail ;)

I’m in for two.

I’ll back that up, and as a resident I’ll even vote for you!

Beating up British people is how your country started, and now all of a sudden it’s frowned upon?

I like the way you think. Are you sure you’re not American?

That picture however is a southern Congressman beating up a yankee Senator in 1856.

Jacobs isn’t even British though, just works for them. So more of a tory I guess?

I heart Alexandra Petri so much.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/wp/2017/05/25/boom-punch-pow-america-is-great-again/

We need more Real Men in office.

When I see Donald Trump shoving that man out of the way at the NATO summit, my heart turns into an eagle and flaps its magnificent wings. When I see him crushing a Frenchman’s hand, I want to cry a tiny, manly tear of pure testosterone. When I saw Montana GOP candidate Greg Gianforte shove a reporter to the ground, my heart sang. For too long, our politics have been devoid of body-slams. They have become weak and soft, not like when men were men and would beat each other with canes on the floor of the Senate. I want to go back to those days, when America was great, and you could beat certain people with impunity.

We need politicians who share these values: violence, against those who deserve it (most Europeans, definitely journalists). I want a president who will lock horns with foreign leaders for hours before shoving them off a cliff. I want a president who can transform into an aircraft carrier and emit jets of steam. I want a president with an enormous neck-frill which expands when he is threatened as he emits a LOW HISS of rage.

Too long America has been weak and womanish and tried to settle things with words.

More punching, less talking, please. More shoving, less compromising. More explosions, less diplomacy, please.

Enough safe spaces. Enough safety nets. Take the helmets off our children. Let them drink lead and see who is strong and who survives.

The video analysis in this is super fascinating. NYT: Did the Turkish President’s Security Detail Attack Protesters in Washington? What the Video Shows

The New York Times reviewed videos and photos to track the actions of 24 men, including armed members of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s security detail, who attacked protesters in Washington last week. Many of the protesters were American citizens.

The men kicked people lying on the ground and put a woman in a chokehold just a mile from the White House. They outnumbered the protesters nearly two to one.

Ten of the men who attacked protesters appear to be part of a formal security detail. They dressed in dark suits, and they wore in-ear radio receivers, Turkish breast pins and lanyards with identification cards. At least four of the men carried guns.

Two of these men charged protesters and appeared to start the main part of the fight.

The State Department has condemned the episode, and some American lawmakers have called for the men to be prosecuted. But none have been charged with a crime. Here’s what video of the main actors shows about the identities of the men and the roles they played in the clash.

Yeah, how disrespectful:

I like how she has decided to dress like how I imagine the French resistance dressed.

In a cap and gown?

Is it a cap and gown? I thought it was a beret! (I only get the starting frame!)

Edit: Oh right, that tassly thing is attached to her, not the flag. Ignore my posts then!

Too late. Now I can’t see it for anything but a beret.

It’s a velvet tam, not a mortarboard cap. They are traditionally worn by graduates with doctoral degrees, including law students earning a JD.

NASA fudged those numbers intentionally. There are probably other areas where their count is off in the opposite direction.