So I guess 2016 claimed its biggest victim yet - America

Probably why we built a bunch of government buildings there.

Frum nails it.

It does make me empathize with the poor girls in a Trump pageant.

Comey is 56, 6’ 8" 230 carries a gun and badge and backed by the 14,000 FBI agents. An average pageant contest is teenage 5’ 6" 120 lbs carries long nails and high heels and is backed by her mom.

Talk about burying the lead…

…and in regards to the above phrase:

I have seen a lot of “burying the lede” going around lately. WTF is up with that?

“Bury the lede” is the original expression.

http://grammarist.com/usage/lead-lede/

The Grammar Alt Right have taken over.

Thanks. I had never encountered that before this preceding year or so. Seems weird to have two terms that are essentially the same in meaning (lede is much more specific - and is oddly defined as “the lead portion of an article”) and pronounced exactly the same way.

At least it won’t bug me quite as much.

mute vs moot and loose vs lose will still drive me crazy, though.

NEVER FORGET:

‘could of’

For all intensive purposes, they’re the same.

Yeah, that article was awful, and, surprise surprise, serves itself as a perfect example of the “liberal condescension” that Ms. Williams claims cost Democrats the election. I agree with what I think is her central thesis, that liberals need to keep being nice to win, but that thesis is lost amidst a sea of contradictions and bad advice. I think a big problem comes from presenting a white elite that straddles party lines, as “the Democratic elite.” (Which is why she identifies “White Trash”-themed frat parties as the “most dramatic examples” of liberal condescension to the white working class.)

[quote=Ms. Williams]These folks, what they care about is jobs. Jobs that yield their version of a middle-class standard of living. Which, by the way is what the professional managerial elites already have. I care really deeply about trans bathrooms. Partly because I’m incredibly alarmed and upset at the high suicide rate among trans youth. But I have a good job, and my kids have good jobs, and if they didn’t, and if I didn’t, I don’t think that would be my first priority.

Slate: Do you really think Donald Trump could’ve ever gotten the kind of support he got from the white working class if he had not shown himself to be a bigot?

Ms. Williams: I don’t know. I’m kind of a data girl, and I just don’t know. He definitely approached a whole group of voters and brought out their worst selves. That’s for sure. The question is if Democrats had addressed the economic concerns and spoken to them with dignity, and attempted to bring out their best selves. I think we would’ve seen, not among everybody, but among a lot of these voters we would’ve seen something very different.[/quote]
Weak. If Williams doesn’t know whether or not overt bigotry is a necessary condition to winning over the white working class, then I’m not sure how successful outreach based on economic insecurity is going to be.

And whatever you do, don’t loose your keys!

How are you supposed to talk to someone who isn’t living the life they dream of when their mind works something like this.

They can’t make ends meet because the government takes too much in taxes and gives it to everyone else. Nothing is fair in this country anymore and no one can make an honest living. He has 3 quads, a boat, two classic cars and rents two places in two different cities and travels to another state to camp at the coast every couple of months because he bot a lot there that allows him to do that. If he is polled, he has nothing… literally feels like he has and owns nothing.

Folks might not feel so empty of they stopped buying boats and cars, and instead focused on not being pieces of shit.

If only someone a couple thousand years ago had written it down in the most popular book ever written.

My understanding from hanging around newsrooms in my misspent youth was that terms like ‘lede’ and ‘graf’ are obvious misspellings that will almost always catch the eye of a proofreader or editor, thereby reducing the chances of headers or labels accidentally making it into print. I doubt it’s really necessary in these days of end-to-end digital, but it’s stuck.

Thank you, Charmtrap. That makes sense.

Rob, Papa & Gordon: You guys can suck it. 😋

Intents and purposes.

Unless of course you are channeling our dear leader, in which case the usage is absolutely correct :-)

It’s a common mistake, but that’s actually incorrect. The correct term is “in tents and porpoises”. The etymology of the phrase comes from the Klondike gold rush at the tail end the 19th century.

Many prospectors, having traveled north from the mild climate of California, were woefully unprepared for the harsh winters. The first winter of 1896 was particularly brutal, where prospectors had to find shelter wherever they could. The “lucky” ones were able to acquire tents (although most were completely inadequate to deal with the northern winters). Those who were least prepared and arrived the latest in the season didn’t even have that luxury. They had to resort to dragging in porpoises from the sea (mostly the Dall’s porpoise) and find shelter in their carcasses, Tauntaun-like. Hence the term, “in tents and porpoises”.

Of course, that was the same harsh winter that birthed the saying

I appreciate the humor, but you had me look it up just to make sure it was a joke. Not everybody is a native speaker :P