So I guess 2016 claimed its biggest victim yet - America

Political reward for the anti-Castro Cuban-Americans in Miami who voted for Trump because the Democrats were in favor of improved relations with Cuba.

Mainly that, but as Trump policies go, this one has some legitimate rationale: dollars from US trade and tourism should go to the Cuban private sector, rather than strengthening the corrupt and oppressive state sector.

[quote=“antlers, post:4122, topic:126885, full:true”]… dollars from US trade and tourism should go to the Cuban private sector, rather than strengthening the corrupt and oppressive state sector.
[/quote]

Maybe he could also fix it here in the US so that foreign dollars spent on trade and tourism should go to the US private sector, rather than strengthening the corrupt and oppressive Trump sector.

Like.

They have a reddit. That’s what the link goes to.

http://i.imgur.com/yRO9z8n.jpg?fb

wait… holy crap… the “confurvative” neologism wasn’t just a joke here? oh god…

Nutcases become federal judges with lifelong appointments, what could go wrong?

Unrelated but no real good place to put this. Huge fire in a London high rise earlier this week, with much of the blame going to lack of regulation.

Speaking as a nerd, I feel like the jocks of today are guilty of dereliction of duty on an unprecedented scale.

People who preach racist bullshit while dressed as anthropic animals are supposed to be shamed and beaten up. If not, then what is the point of jock Meatheads?

I mean, sure, doing some geeky stuff is ok. We don’t need to live in the 1950s. But come on. There’s gotta be SOME line.

Fuck that nonsense. We don’t need self-appointed bullies policing shit.

It was a joke.
Well, kind of.

Grenfell Tower, of course, was public housing, which changes the calculation somewhat.

This is such an understatement it’s almost unbelievable it was written like that. Somewhat? No, no, that changes things a lot. This was dense public housing that lit up like a torch. I saws the videos… we’ve had a number of fires over the years, but I don’t recall anything spreading, in recent memory, that fast in a residential building that didn’t also have some sort of follow-up with the word slumlord in it.

It would be one thing if the cladding or the refurb project created an unexpected safety hazard. It’s a different thing entirely if there was a known problem and no one did anything. I also don’t understand the stay in a burning tower policy.

Most public housing in the UK is pretty old (mostly 50s-70s — Grenfell Tower was built in 1974) thanks to decades of underinvestment, restrictive planning conditions and the Tory policy of flogging off public housing and failing to replace it. It wasn’t built to modern safety standards and is expensive to properly refurbish (there was no sprinkler system in Grenfell for instance, despite a recent refurb).

This does in fact seem to be the case, though I don’t want to prejudge the investigation. It’s been confirmed that the insulation in the cladding was not fire resistant. But the residents were warning of dangers before the refurb, so it’s not like that was the only problem. It’s a disgrace all round.

Here’s a really good article on regulation

Deconstricting the Administrative State

The current view of regulation as a drag on the economy and an affront to personal freedom is a relatively recent phenomenon. The historic view—one that dates to the earliest days of the republic—is that law and regulation are inextricably linked with the health of markets and the preservation of individual liberty.

Well I guess my main point is, the fact that we’re talking about the governments responsibility in this disaster and the fact that that is public housing does not change the calculation somewhat… it changes it hugely. The government is literally responsible for that building whether or not they sub-contracted the management out.

Education Dept. Says It Will Scale Back Civil Rights Investigations

But Mr. Shibley said the practice of systematic reviews was a significant burden, especially on colleges and universities, which sometimes had to review years of previous sexual assault complaints, and remedy anything they were found to have mishandled.

According to a published settlement agreement, the investigation found that schools with higher percentages of black students established stricter punishment for discipline incidents, and a review of four years of data revealed that black students across the district received disproportionately higher levels of discipline than white students.

Oh, absolutely. And Kensington and Chelsea is one of the richest parts of London, so it’s not as if they have any excuse.

[quote=“kerzain, post:4130, topic:126885, full:true”]Fuck that nonsense. We don’t need self-appointed bullies policing shit.
[/quote]
As opposed to… officially-appointed bullies?

So, uh, apparently today marks the 45th anniversary of the Watergate break-in.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/robert-redford-45-years-after-watergate-the-truth-is-again-in-danger/2017/03/31/d7b9bb8c-1334-11e7-ada0-1489b735b3a3_story.html

I tried to get in touch with Woodward and Bernstein.

It didn’t go well. At first, they refused my calls, fearing they were being duped by the Nixon administration in some type of setup. We finally made contact and eventually made a movie about their story, “All the President’s Men.”

This year marks the 45th anniversary of the Watergate scandal. Because of my role in the film, some have asked me about the similarities between our situations in 1972 and 2017.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/help-wanted-why-republicans-wont-work-for-the-trump-administration/2017/06/17/61e3d33e-506a-11e7-b064-828ba60fbb98_story.html

The array of legal and political threats hanging over the Trump presidency has compounded the White House’s struggles to fill out the top ranks of the government.

Trump’s firing of FBI Director James B. Comey last month and the escalating probe into Russian interference in the presidential election have made hiring even more difficult, say former federal officials, party activists, lobbyists and candidates who Trump officials have tried to recruit.

Republicans say they are turning down job offers to work for a chief executive whose volatile temperament makes them nervous. They are asking head-hunters if their reputations could suffer permanent damage, according to 27 people The Washington Post interviewed to assess what is becoming a debilitating factor in recruiting political appointees.