So I guess 2016 claimed its biggest victim yet - America

And that’s the Dennis the Menace charm that Trump pulls out. To the extent that he ‘gets away with things,’ some folks like him for it, just as they like him for not being afraid of acting like an asshole. (Meanwhile, of course, that Julius Caesar production should be shut down, and Hillary should have been locked up for her email server…)

Because they aren’t. They’re tasked with making people memorize the answers to standardized tests.

I’m with @ShivaX here. Schools (broad brushstrokes here) aren’t teaching critical thinking, they are teaching “how to take a standardized test”. And because teachers are paid so poorly, half of them probably aren’t capable of much in the way of critical thinking themselves, let alone teaching it.

It feels like that will be the question of this century.

Holy crap, did this guy go through confirmation hearings?

The answer has a name. IMP CAES AVG.

The real answer is how we make a society that is actually fostering of republican (little R) values. This was a huge issue for the Founding Fathers who recognized, if vaguely, that democracy doesn’t work without the “right” kind of person, and they wanted the kinds of economic/political systems to foster that kind of person. Sometimes i think we live in a time where people better educated than ever are repressed by a sclerotic, unrepresentative system. Other times i think that well informed fraction is but a shrinking minority and the majority don’t really care about democracy, addled and distracted by consumerism and nonsense.

Ah yes, I forgot about that one. Getting GOP SCOTUS appointments were big on the list for voting republican, any republican.

But wanting a Justice doesn’t explain why someone would be willing to excuse terrible acts by Trump.

Gorsuch is the guy for life now. We don’t need to pretend like Trump isn’t doing terrible things.

This can go here or the health care thread, but the underlying argument has a broader application, especially in the context of the interesting exchange upthread. The “reality” we live in now makes no sense, and it probably won’t for a long time to come.

Since taking office, his signature values — showmanship, shamelessness, and corruption — have spread like kudzu in official Washington. It’s now a country where Cabinet secretaries go on television to lie and claim that a $600 billion cut to Medicaid won’t cause anyone to lose coverage. It’s a country where the speaker of the House introduces an amendment to erode protections for patients with preexisting conditions and then immediately tweets that it’s just been “VERIFIED” (by whom?) that the opposite is happening. Republican senators who a couple of months ago were criticizing the House bill’s Medicaid cuts as too harsh are now warming up to a Senate bill whose cuts are even harsher.

The watchwords of Trump-era politics are “LOL nothing matters.” If you’re in a jam, you just lie about it. If you’re caught in an embarrassing situation, you create a new provocation and hope that people move on. Everything is founded, most of all, on the assumption that the basic tribal impulses of negative partisanship will keep everyone on their side, while knowing that gerrymandering means Republicans will win every toss-up election.

I don’t believe so - he’s not at the level that needs approval.

Or that Pence/Ryan wouldn’t have nominated the exact same person anyway.

This country is filled with crappy people.

http://www.newsweek.com/womens-rights-birth-control-abortion-missouri-discrimination-628538?utm_content=buffer7802c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

How would your employee even know?

In a likely unrelated note, Missouri just passed a law allowing Senators to go through women’s medicine cabinets in the middle of the night to see if they’re currently using birth control. An amendment allowing Senators to hold a woman’s recently worn panties to their nose while inhaling deeply is also expected to pass with the governor’s blessing.

According to the article, the bill gives employers the right to ask.

Does it also give people asked to respond by saying ‘fuck you’? Because unless you can say ‘fuck you’ and punch the prick without fear of firing, then no sale.

I haven’t read the bill, but I fully expect that it gives the employer the right to respond to refusal to answer by saying either ‘you’re not hired’ or ‘you’re fired’.

Well presumably yes.

I was merely stating what I feel is the only reasonable answer to that question.

WTF? How… does this work? I mean, why? Where? Who even thinks this way?