So I guess 2016 claimed its biggest victim yet - America

Unless it gives them a right to your medical records, you could just lie. And I honestly suspect that having an employer actually look at your medical records would result in nothing but terrible things for the employer. Once they look, if they ever fire you you would have a much stronger case for various discrimination lawsuits.

Not if we systematically eliminate protections first!

They want to use this bill to shut down a couple of abortion clinics. They are so hysterical over abortion they are willing to gut personal freedom. It’s ridiculous, especially since conservatives use birth control too.

Republicans can’t get elected without the anti-abortion vote. They sold themselves down the river. Now as a result they have to resort to evil shit like this.

I guess I should get back home more often. Took me a while to place those pics.

Gattica here we come

Don’t want employers seeing your info. One of your adenines mutated into an inosine.

Wow, the idea of forcing you to hand over your genetics to your employer is freaking CRAZY TOWN.

Not allowing others to have access to my genetics is my primary reason for not getting genetic testing for my own curiosity. All those genetic test companies basically have small print that says they OWN your genetics after they test them. Like, they could theoretically clone you or whatever. It’s fucked up.

Genetic testing and targeting seems to be a very promising front on several clinical trials and even the way we approach clinical trials and study diseases. It would be very unfortunate if people avoided any attempts at genetic analysis due to political fears like being targeted by their employer due their genetic information being out there.

It seems crazy that that kind of PHI would just be handed to a employer like that.

Welcome to 2016. You won’t like what happens next.

As a service member I was -required- to allow the military to have access to my DNA. It’s completely fucked, since they NEVER have to rescind that sample, and may allow my DNA to other organizations without my consent. Though technically it’s supposed to only be other law enforcement agencies, we all know how that has been playing out.

This is the key read:

[quote]The Department of Defense (DOD) began to use DNA samples to identify the remains of service members during the first Gulf War in 1991. “Because of problems with obtaining reliable DNA samples during the Gulf War, the DOD began a pro-gram to collect and store reference specimens of DNA from members of the active duty and reserve forces.” What was then called the “DOD DNA Registry,” a program within the Armed Forces Institute of pathology, was established pursuant to a December 16, 1991 memorandum of the Deputy Secretary of Defense. Under this program, DNA specimens are collected from active duty and reserve military personnel upon their enlistment, reenlistment, or preparation for operational deployment.

As of December 2002, the Repository, now known as the “Armed Forces Repository of Specimen Samples for the Identification of Remains,” contained the DNA of approximately 3.2 million service members. According to a recent DOD directive, the “provision of specimen samples by military members shall be mandatory.” The direction to a soldier, sailor, airman, or marine to contribute a DNA sample is a lawful order which, if disobeyed, subjects the service member to prosecution under the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ). If convicted at court-martial for the offense of violating a lawful general order, the service member carries the lifelong stigma of a federal felony conviction, and faces a maximum punishment of a dishonorable discharge, confinement for two years, total forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and reduction to the lowest enlisted grade.

As its name suggests, the DNA Repository was initially conceived solely to identify the remains of service members. However, a small entry in the huge 2003 National Defense Authorization Act, “signed by President Bush on December 2, 2002, overrides Pentagon policy that the DNA samples be used almost solely to identity troops killed in combat,” and allows access to the Repository for law enforcement purposes.[/quote]

Also handy for breeding super soldiers and clone armies.

Speaking of crazy shit, I’m surprised they haven’t moved on to implantable trackers of some sort on soldiers.

I’m surprised that you think they haven’t!

I’m surprised that you’re surprising me with something I should have not been surprised about, surprise surprise.

At whence Ser Prize was appraised of the surprise Ser Praise had laid athwart for the good sirs’ prize.
Slack in-joke @Dave_Perkins

[quote=“Skipper, post:4274, topic:126885, full:true”]Speaking of crazy shit, I’m surprised they haven’t moved on to implantable trackers of some sort on soldiers.
[/quote]
Be safe, be secure, always chip your Soldier.

Well if it were up to me. We’d be collecting DNA samples from everyone we could in order to target diseases and get a better understanding of the some of the terrible illnesses and unknowns out there. But all of that would be for medical purposes only, not weapons, not profits and certainly not for employment purposes. The ability to target genetics at the level we can now can really start to open the door.

I mean imagine if instead of a laundry list of terrible side effects on drugs that you “might” experience if we could actually pin it down to a degree of certainty which you would experience based on your genes. Or instead of a 100 or 1000 people needed for clinical testing you could narrow it down to the exact genetic group you know will respond to a treatment?

I’m all for medical advances, or attempts at that, not government, law enforcement or anything that could have an adverse affect to the donor. Informational only.

Except it would be abused the second the needle has left your finder. Before you’ve exited the hospital they’ve sent it to insurance companies, to private medial research labs who will find a cure, patent it, and demand huge sums of money for anyone to use it (+ sue competitors) and whatnot.

I guess it would only work if they declared it only for non profit medical research and introduced an automatic death penalty within 48 hours, forfeiture of all assets prior and future, as well as harvesting their organs and dna for research applicable to the entire board of any company that tried to abuse it.