So I guess 2016 claimed its biggest victim yet - America

What the hell does Israel have to do with hurricane relief money?

Apparently the state cannot - per their newly passed law - invest in companies that boycott Israel. If I put aside the absurdity of that, I can understand this being an itemized requirement. However, the law is blatantly absurd and I can’t imagine it being constitutional.

Our country is so screwed up right now. What exactly would qualify as boycotting Israel? That act of not buying or selling something, not speaking against them which… technically isn’t really a boycott.

It means whatever the people in charge want it to mean. At least until they actually try to do anything and it dies in nuclear fire in court.

This makes a lot of sense. Forcing the public to buy something they don’t want to, like health insurance, tramples all over our rights as Americans. Forcing the public to buy something they don’t want to from a foreign country is patriotic.

For now? Until when, the abortion fairies come for her?

By Maria Sacchetti and Ann E. Marimow October 20 at 5:44 PM

BREAKING: A D.C. appeals court has ruled that an undocumented, pregnant teenager who is in U.S. custody must be allowed to have an abortion, but gave the federal government until Oct. 31 to find her a sponsor so that the government does not have to facilitate the procedure.

Read a twitter thread on the Chadian withdrawal earlier today - those forces were on the other side of Niger, some 700 miles as the crow flies and a good 24 hrs by car. Their withdrawal doesn’t really have anything to do with the ambush.

That said putting Chad on the travel ban list is a colossal fuck up and really is probably because Chad didn’t submit a sample passport.

Edit: The writer of that twitter thread I read has a piece at Slate:

And her original thread: (She’s a political scientist who specializes in Central Africa.)

Also… Chad is the poorest of the poor. I love how we are picking on them. They have nothing.

All the conspiracy stuff about Chad aside, the are some issues with stuff surrounding the attack in Niger. The fact that they finally recovered the one guy’s body a mile from where the attack took place is… Perhaps bad.

I haven’t been following it. What’s the implication of that?

I guess it implies he wasn’t killed in combat, but was captured alive and killed later. Which implies he could have been rescued.

It’s bad particularly because of “No man left behind” policy. More than a policy, really almost a creed.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/921759081387438080

Anyone else hear the Star Wars opening theme as they read that?

No, I hear creepy-ass Pan’s Labyrinth:

Everyone needs to watch this video of Jeff Flake’s speech on the Senate floor (Facebook, sorry).

CNN transcript:

Awesome, Senator Flake. Trump’s supporters may celebrate this as draining the swamp, but like always, fuck those shallow hypocrites. Thanks for posting the link, @barstein.