So I guess 2016 claimed its biggest victim yet - America

There are a variety of reasons I am absolute in my belief that all republicans, from elected representatives to voters, are a grave and immediate threat to the safety of the nation and those within it. The above are a couple of them! :)

They want their own little nation without all those other people in it. And they’re no threat to it.

So it depends on whose country you’re talking about, or on how you define it.

Full of great (i.e. nightmarish) quotes

"To Trump’s left was his secretary of state, Rex Tillerson. “Rex tells me you don’t want me to use the military option in Venezuela,” the president told the gathered Latin American leaders, according to an account offered by an attendee soon after the dinner. “Is that right? Are you sure?” Everyone said they were sure. But they were rattled. War with Venezuela, as absurd as that seemed, was clearly still on Trump’s mind.

By the time the dinner was over, the leaders were in shock, and not just over the idle talk of armed conflict.[…] Trump struck them as uninformed about their issues and dangerously unpredictable, asking them to expend political capital on behalf of a U.S. that no longer seemed a reliable partner. “The word they all used was: ‘This guy is insane.’”"

and

“Over the course of the year, I have often heard top foreign officials express their alarm in hair-raising terms rarely used in international diplomacy—let alone about the president of the United States. Seasoned diplomats who have seen Trump up close throw around words like “catastrophic,” “terrifying,” “incompetent” and “dangerous.” In Berlin this spring, I listened to a group of sober policy wonks debate whether Trump was merely a “laughingstock” or something more dangerous.”

and

“The new National Security Strategy that McMaster began rolling out to the rest of the Trump administration in December hits uncontroversial themes like defending the U.S. homeland and organizing to counter rising “revisionist” powers like China and Russia. The language of “principled realism” put forward by McMaster is so un-Trumpian that a top adviser who received a copy told a reporter it was simply “divorced from the reality” of the Trump presidency. “It’s the first time, maybe in history, key advisers have gone into the administration to stop the president, not to enable him,” says Thomas Wright, a Brookings scholar who has emerged as one of the most insightful analysts of Trump’s foreign policy.”

‘Laughingstock’ is best-case.

It’s almost like they didn’t want to arm the people they were enslaving to fight to keep themselves enslaved.
Weird.

Although the ‘black Confederate soldiers’ thing is a great canard, they theoretically could erect a monument to all the slaves that were forced to work to aid the Confederacy, or to the black units that, at Lee’s desperate insistence, were just beginning to train shortly before the fall of Richmond.

That would be inspiring!

On February 10, 1865, with support from the Davis administration, Congressman Ethelbert Barksdale of Mississippi introduced a bill granting Davis the power to accept black men as soldiers, but only with their masters’ permission. Masters were also permitted, but not required, to emancipate slaves who completed terms of service in the Confederate army. After strenuous debate, and with the endorsement of General Robert E. Lee, the House of Representatives narrowly passed this bill on February 20 and sent it to the Senate. That body had already defeated a bill calling for the involuntary enlistment of 200,000 black men, and would likely have defeated the Barksdale bill had not Virginia’s two senators, R. M. T. Hunter and Allen T. Caperton, changed their votes due to instructions from the General Assembly. The Senate, by a one-vote margin, approved a slightly amended version of the Barksdale bill on March 8; Davis signed it into law on March 13, 1865. In the intervening days, the General Assembly passed a law explicitly allowing black men to carry rifles, which state law previously had prohibited. North Carolina’s elected officials, by contrast, published their objections to the measure in a series of legislative resolutions.

The War Department, however, acted quickly upon the new legislation, and General Orders No. 14 authorized the enlistment of free blacks as well as slaves whose masters signaled their approval by manumitting them before enlistment. No men still enslaved would be accepted as Confederate soldiers. Newspapers throughout the Confederacy immediately reported the widespread enlistment of thousands of black soldiers, but the actual results were far more modest. Only two units were ever created, both in Richmond. The first enrolled approximately sixty orderlies and nurses from Winder and Jackson Hospitals; the second, created at a formal recruiting center, never numbered more than ten recruits. The first company was hastily put into the trenches outside Richmond for a day in mid-March, but the unit canceled a parade scheduled for the end of the month due to the fact that the men lacked uniforms and rifles. Based on this, it is unclear how much fighting they could have done. The second unit was housed in a former prison and carefully watched by military police, suggesting that white Confederate officers did not trust these new black soldiers.

I have seen people use that as though it was true and that they were fighting of their own “free” will.

Lol they’ll just build one anyway and say it happened. Trump built a fake Civil War monument on his golf course. Facts don’t matter anymore.

Sure, it’s a standard neoconfederate talking point, right up there with “the war was about tariffs,” “the North had worse POW camps than Andersonville,” and the like.

Incidentally, here’s a link to the actual General Orders 14, not to make a point, but because it’s interesting!

I like to imagine Trump’s whitehouse is just the captain’s log from Event Horizon.

That got a genuine laugh out loud moment from me. :)

I’m not sure if there’s anything really new here, but I thought it was a good read.

It’s so good it’s been posted in two other threads. I posted one of them myself! The Trump threads are a big ol’ mess 'round here.

This reads like fan fiction, especially when he’s recounting the phone calls. How does he know exactly what was said, unless the people Trump called were the sources? Who are his sources?

Talking head on Morning Joe was vouching for him this morning. I’m not familiar with his work but think he’s legit.

There’s a box at the bottom of the excerpt called “How He Got The Story”, containing some rather unsurprising details of the incompetence of the Trump Administration.

In true Trumpian fashion, the administration’s lack of experience and disdain for political norms made for a hodgepodge of journalistic challenges. Information would be provided off-the-record or on deep background, then casually put on the record. Sources would fail to set any parameters on the use of a conversation, or would provide accounts in confidence, only to subsequently share their views widely. And the president’s own views, private as well as public, were constantly shared by others.

We seek to emulate Dear Leader in every way.

No mess. You’re the mess.

I wonder what America’s Lenin will be like.

I bet he’s gonna have fabulous hair.