So I guess 2016 claimed its biggest victim yet - America

Arpaio or Ward gets nominated, they get beaten pretty handily by Kyrsten Sinema, who is very popular for a Democrat in Arizona.

If it’s McSally (and I think it will be), then it’s a horserace with a slight turf advantage to McSally, but a slight environment advantage to balance that for Sinema.

If Arpaio is the nominee, I hope that Sinema just stares at him without speaking every time they are together for a public appearance.

I feel this is the make or break year for America, we either get back on track or slide into a 1984 dystopia. You can see this tug of war playing out daily.

The asshole douchebag racist fuckwads certainly don’t look like they’re going down without a fight.

There it is :)

That’s frightening.

Cochran and McCain are both probably out for health reasons. Doug Jones is in. Can’t pass Republican-only legislation.

What does that mean, “skipping 2018 budget”?

Like, not passing a budget at all for the year? Just continuing resolutions for the whole year?

They don’t need to repeal ACA. They practically did that by eliminating the individual mandate.

True but seems like an awful precedent. In the article it sounded like Deutsche Bank was the worse of the big banks.

It’s not a precedent, in that it’s happened before and will happen again. Nothing will change because of this waiver. Every single bank that has ever been convicted of or admitted anything criminal, got the same waiver, in the last 20 years. It always happens. The SEC does the same thing for its own rules. It’s a shitty practice - if you’re not willing to enforce the rule, drop the rule - but it’s standard practice regardless of administration.

Basically, because banks get “too big to fail” and because we don’t have Glass-Steagall anymore to protect commercial banking from investment banking, all of the economy and society is held hostage.

So you’re saying Trump isn’t going to take the big banks to task?

This isn’t really a question of “too big to fail” or the banks getting off scot-free. They are still paying over $5 billion in fines. But they aren’t being required to shut down US operations.

Which kind of makes sense, I think. I mean, imagine your local bank was guilty of some wrongdoing. Maybe they ripped off a little old lady, or maybe three little old ladies, or maybe three thousand. Regardless, they are going to pay a huge fine.

Oh, and the government is also going to shut down access to your savings and checking accounts. Sorry. Your money isn’t gone, but you can’t use that bank any more. Drop by the branch, pick up a check with your life savings, and start looking for a new bank. Leave yourself some time, because there might be a long line at your bank.

If you have any direct deposit or recurring payments set up, better get those changed over asap. Might want to talk to payroll about that. Also, you’ll need to apply for a new credit card. Remember to update Netflix and your other subscriptions with your new card, or they will cut you off. Got an IRA? Well, now you’ve got a ton of paperwork. Maybe it’s time to hire an accountant.

Does that seem like a reasonable response? IMHO, if you want to punish the bank, then punish the bank. If $5 billion seems too puny to make an impact, then triple it. But it doesn’t do any good to punish their customers.

Your point is well taken. My comment was a general grumble re: the last financial crisis and TBTF (aka private profit but socialized loss). Glass-Steagall kept the country safe from financial industry shenanigans for over 70 years, and when it went away it took less than a decade for said industry to take a giant dump on the bulk of the population.