So I guess 2016 claimed its biggest victim yet - America

Nah, even in our world… That soundbyte is simple and easy to repeat. That’s the essence of messaging today.

https://twitter.com/ezraklein/status/954334771173298177

The Republicans are holding the gun to the heads of children and pretending they’re not the bad guys.

It’s fucking unreal.

I’m not an Ezra fan by any means, but he’s right on this one.
https://twitter.com/ezraklein/status/954334771173298177

This is exactly why I hate how they can stitch things together in bills that are completely unrelated.

Yeah, they should stop all these earmarks somehow.

It’s a Sophie’s choice tactic, with the GOP as the nazis.

McConnell is evil.

So question here - my understanding is that the budget bill up for vote is another temporary for just one month w/ the CHIP funding provision.

Is there a reason why the brinksmanship is happening now and not in Feb? is it primarily about Dems having more leverage to negotiate with CHIP also on the table?

I think they know they don’t have the votes, so they put up some bs bill with something that sounds like a positive (chip), then they can scream that the democrats hate children or are obstructionists or whatever, while blaming the shutdown on them too.

As I understand it, it has to do with the timing on DACA. Dreamers start having to leave on March 6th (depending on their renewal timing… and not including some who missed the ‘last renewal’ and are illegal and/or had to leave already), and if this goes more than another week or two, there’s serious doubt that the bureaucracy will be able to process any fix in an orderly fashion before people start shifting into illegal status.

Obama gave better speeches, and had more prior experience in politics, but still seemed very green to me. Oprah may be less naive in some respects due to having been a boss of a large company, being older, and having hobnobbed with lots of influential people. But she can let her emotions control her sometimes.

Obama was also a constitutional law professor. I think that’s relevant experience for the gig.

IMO it also bears repeating that Oprah has, by her promotion of Dr. Oz, anti-vaxxer Jenny McCarthy, and The Secret, proven herself either a) totally fuzzy-headed or b) cynically willing to cash in on snake oil bullshit. Either way, it’s not a good look in my eyes.

Trump in November of last year:

Looks like he’ll get what he wanted.

Couldn’t even get all the Republicans… gonna make it real hard to say that the Democrats did it.

Won’t stop them from saying or their supporters from believing it. That was kind of my point from earlier though. Maybe I’m wrong (so feel free to disagree) but I’d be surprised if there are many people out there that are undecided at this point and haven’t dug in their heels, so it’s all meaningless talk and posturing. Wish we could fire them all (on both sides), tbh.

McConnell just voted no? Lol

Ok, I love that, but can someone explain?