So I guess 2016 claimed its biggest victim yet - America

I just don’t see how it can even be interpreted like that though. I mean, what normal person even thinks that?

The real crime here is the word “promposal”. Well, that and the racism.

Right? It isn’t even a good joke.

It might have worked if her last name was, like Cotton, or Woolsey, or something.

Evidently there is a group of students at that school that have been vying to top each other with racist bullshit. Complaints to the administration gave been met with “the right to speech, even offensive speech, is protected.”

Holy shit, I think you just found our next forum game! 😄

it’s whatever

No, it’s evil.

umad?

For a second there I thought you were trying to write a haiku.

I saw that in a news report yesterday as well. In addition, the kid may have got the idea from a viral story about a similar incident last year at a Florida school.

I was just telling someone the other day about how I felt the generation that is in grade school and high school today is going to be the generation to end racism as they seem far more diverse, accepting of and connected to one another than any previous generation. Then along comes this moron to prove me wrong. I bet his parents are so proud.

Prejudice is difficult to beat. It’s human nature to want to categorize and label. I’d imagine it’s a primitive instinct that says something like, “If you’re not like me you are a potential threat.”

But I am amazed at how accepting are the high-school kids my girlfriend’s daughter hangs with. There are openly gay and transgender kids who seem to do just fine. When I was in high school they would have been tormented daily if they were open about it. It’s a big step forward.

Case in point:

My kids were bando’s amd color guard in high school. They knew, and I had met, several of their friends who were gay. The kids were accepted by all, and I never remember a bad incident coming out of the school about people hating on gays. But within the last year there have been at least two incidents of students posting very racist facebook or instagram stuff. There has also been a rape apparently kept quiet for the good of a national championship baseball team.

I don’t find that as a surprise. I think most Trump voters were/are afraid of change, and what it will mean to them.

Isn’t this the same reason people like Putin?

“A return to greatness” appears to be an evergreen narrative.

Although it’s a bit odd to go on about it when your country still has the biggest economy and military in the world.

In highschool I got shit for not smoking weed. That eventually changed.

I don’t think it should be a surprise either, but people continually tried to frame Trump voters as being motivated by the economy. That’s only partly true according to the study. It was economic factors driven by a change in their racial hierarchy in the US. The minorities and foreigners are coming, and only a hardline xenophobic GOP can hold them at bay!

I agree, the idiot kid with the promposal is definitely an outlier in his generation. I see a whole lot more acceptance in my kids schools than I ever did when I was their age (1980’s) or even in the two decades afterwards. As much as we deride this generation’s seeming hyper-dependence on the internet, streaming and social media, there has definitely been a measurable impact on both awareness and acceptance generated by it. Parental involvement in such development is still a must, but kids these days have access to a much wider worldview than we ever did, and for the most part that is a good thing.

I think that, like @Telefrog illustrates with the Atlantic article, we are watching the last, dying spasms of white-American angst before racism and intolerance slowly give way to unity and acceptance as one generation dies out, another comes to accept the inevitable, and the rest welcome it with open arms. It will take many years yet, and there will be minor setbacks, but if the youth I’ve seen myself are any indication, we’re on the right path.

No way! Deep down certain groups want their dominance and don’t believe in equality. Say it ain’t so!

Which part?

I got very into smoking weed. Very. :)

That is pretty optimistic stuff right there. I hope you are right, but I also thought Trump had no chance of beating Hillary.

Thinking that the end of the WW2 and Baby Boomer generations will somehow lead to a new tomorrow is a bit of a leap of faith.