So I guess 2016 claimed its biggest victim yet - America

The problem is that the reporter didn’t accurately describe what the racist guy said. The guy’s assertion was “I pay for their welfare.”

The reporter incorrectly read two extra assertions into that statement: (1) “I pay for their FEDERAL welfare” (as opposed to STATE benefits). and (2) “The law prescribes public benefits for illegal immigrants.”

Some states, including NY, where the incident took place, do indeed provide various public benefits to illegal immigrants, even where it is technically illegal to do so – this NY gov site explains why/how that happens, which I wasn’t aware of until I read more into it:

https://www.nysenate.gov/newsroom/articles/james-l-seward/what-benefits-can-illegal-aliens-receive

Oh boy, it’s on an official NY gov site - guess that means it’s the truth. Work’s done here boys, the racist fuck was correct! Seriously man, you’re going to argue using an article that a Republican NY State Senator wrote? Is Breitbart next?

So, defending racists now by making assumptions about what the racist really meant. Your stock is falling fast today mr gman. Why are you in these forums again? I think your track record shows that you spread false information under the guise of being reasonable, but when you are called out on it, you cry ‘personal attack’ like the thin skinned people who populate the ranks of the racist GOP.

I believe facts. If you have some, please use them.

An article written by a GOP state senator sadly does not equate to facts.

The question of whether illegal/undocumented individuals in fact receive public benefits is an important one. If someone has a better source I would like to see it. Like I said in my original post, I only began reading about the issue today, prompted by that post. I thought that was the point of … discussion boards?

For what it’s worth, I’ve also defended people in court who have brutally murdered their boyfriends/girlfriends and cut them into tiny pieces without showing any remorse. It’s not about defending the person per se, or their conduct, it’s about figuring out the truth of related circumstances, and getting any questions you have answered so the truth comes out and everyone is smarter at the end of the day.

At least you got paid for defending those pieces of shit. I’m not quite sure why you’re defending this one though. Do you really think he thought things through enough to determine if anyone was illegally receiving benefits from his own labor before speaking? Or did he just open his mouth and vomit spewed forth? I’m guessing it’s the latter. He’s not worth any more thought than that.

I appreciate you offering an alternative view in a civil manner, even if I think your are arguing a weak position.

Ditto.

Welll I was not paid much!

The guy may not have thought out his comment, but I still feel it’s problematic the reporter put words in his mouth.

It could just be that he source I linked is overstating a problem. It has been pointed out the source I linked to, despite being hosted on a government site , is biased so I’m interested in better ones.

I don’t care enough about this guy to research it more fully than checking out that article above. The use of the term “illegal alien” should immediately demonstrate the intent and prejudice of the author though. If it does turn out that a tiny percentage of his taxes goes towards helping undocumented folks then so be it. He’ll live. It’s to the benefit of the entire community that we take care of that exact community. You know, like the good Christians that most GOP members claim to be.

Does it really matter if the guy is technically correct or not? It’s not OK to walk up to two random people in a shop in New York City speaking Spanish to each other and cause a scene because you think that’s no cool. He is a straight up racist no matter what the technicality is.

I mean shit, the guy has three other documented cases of him doing something like that. He is obviously emotionally unstable and needs to get help.

He’s not even really technically correct. This is just another false narrative to feed the belief that all the illegals come into this country and use up all the benefits. There might be some some programs, but this is largely just incorrect aside from some of the services we provide children like… school.

Illegals put way more into the system than they use. That isn’t even a matter of debate and never has been.

I wonder if he is mentally unstable though, since he’s so high-functioning. It seems like he may simply just be very racist. I’m not aware of any mental illness that would lead to his kind of behavior while being able to maintain a successful law practice, but I’m not an expert. Maybe more of a personality disorder.

Yeah, I’m no psychologist so my phrasing isn’t precise. But for sure the guy has some sort of personality disorder. Normal people don’t randomly walk up to people and start yelling at them in public. It’s not OK.

I hope we can all agree that this guy is a complete asshole.

I also like the idea of newspapers pushing back against false claims made by subjects in articles. But they probably should extra careful when doing so that they don’t say something misleading themselves.

It’s a little more normal than you think, especially with racists. There is often nothing wrong with them; they’re just assholes.

I would guess almost everyone here agrees, with those that think otherwise not participating in the thread.

But you know that a significant % of America is right on board with this prick.

Sadly true.

Folks, gman is not a legitimate participant in these discussions and should be disregarded. I’m not going to waste time dealing with his specific behaviors or allegations, but the pattern is clear: false equivalence, nitpicking of tiny details that may support his position while ignoring the vast weight of evidence going the other way, failure to engage strong and legitimate points from the other side, asking for detail on minor issues to suck up the time of others, and on and on. It’s all textbook “how to argue bullshit” and propaganda.

His pattern of behavior clearly demonstrates no intent to meaningfully contribute to, or listen to in a serious way, these discussions. He’s pushing an agenda, far more subtly than obvious folks like Malathor, but the exact same underlying absolutist conviction that liberals are always wrong. And he’s using a variety of techniques to derail discussions, waste time, and suck up energy that could be used for productive discussion.

Please stop wasting time on him.

I would encourage you not to make personal attacks or assumptions, but of course, if you don’t want to talk to me, I don’t see who is forcing you to. (And I do not see why other posters would need you to tell them who to talk to?)

I would also like to say this is quite false, and I’ve no idea where you got it from:

E.g. I will say liberals were right about gay marriage, which some conservatives still struggle with for some reason. That is a topic that is very personally relevant to me and many of my friends, although I think no one side ‘owns’ the issue. Liberals have been right on the ‘me too’ movement, which they demonstrated w/ Al Franken, and Republicans have not w/ Roy moore etc. There’s so many things that liberals have been ‘right on.’-- speaking generally, of course.