So I guess 2016 claimed its biggest victim yet - America

Gloating in this thread about conservative shit would be like going into a thread about baseball and going on about how much baseball sucks. It’s in poor taste. People came to this thread in 2016 to grieve for fucks sake. If you want to poke fun or tout conservative wins, GTFO and start your own thread.

Again, the post was a reply to a topic raised by another poster (the G7 and the tariffs debate in Canada and its effect on local politics). And the bit about interrupting grieving? Good lord. Anyway, if you read the article, it looks like the tariffs debate and the upcoming G7 showdown is having a big impact on Canadian politics in unintuitive ways, since Trump’s policies arguably encouraged very, very liberal Ontario to pick its own version of Trump.

It’s mostly that Wynne was super unpopular, and that NDP and the Liberals split the progressive vote. Doesn’t have a whole lot to do with Trump.

Didn’t that guy in canada smoke crack? Oh wait, no, it’s his brother… this guy is just being investigated for embezzling from his dead brother’s estate.

But totally cool with gman because Trumpism!

Keep in mind that the Conservatives got in with only 40% of the vote, and before that Doug Ford won the nomination to lead the party despite having less support than the other front-running nominees.

I don’t think it is any more significant than the left-wing NDP winning a majority in super conservative Alberta, to be frank, and this whole debacle has more to do with the Liberals being in power for too long and the center and center-left vote being split.

Yes and this is more evidence that single seat districts, sorry ridings, are a poor idea that leads to bad outcomes. Only 40% of votes, yet over 60% of seats, on a party led by an embezzling brother of coked our former mayor of Toronto.

Yeah there was a general sense that there needed to be a change after so long with the Liberals in power and the PCs are the natural alternative. I guess Doug Ford leading the PCs wasn’t quite enough to convince enough people to go NDP.

It convinced a lot of people; just not enough and too spread out to counter the suburban conservative bloc.

Like it or not, this is the future of American politics. Every future national political candidate of both (all) parties will have to continually contend with investigations and lawsuits about everything they have ever done or not done.

Pretty sure the trump foundation was already under investigation prior to trump announcing. This is also why candidates release tax returns. But, you know, emails captured the imagination of the American media.

I don’t believe that. You make it sound like every political family is like this one, which is not the case.

From all I read about the Trump Foundation during the campaign, it seems like NY should have a pretty strong case here.

Yeah, but at a glance, it all looks like “slap on the wrist” type stuff. Didn’t see any mention of jail time, just fines and such.

It may be a totally valid, justified and legally airtight action. Nonetheless, it is an example of a cat which is out of the bag now: opposition party state AG suits, IG investigations, committee subpoenas, “personal offense” lawsuits, etc are all part of the array of opposition you will have to withstand if you want to be a candidate for national office now. It’s gross and it doesn’t help bring the best people into the jobs, just the best connected or the most pathological.

So which of these two are you suggesting?

1. This is a bogus investigation into something that never happened
  2. As President, Trump and his entire organization should be off limits from investigations and prosecution for breaking local and state laws

Because it sounds like you’re suggesting one of those two things. What is “gross” about this, exactly?

Maybe it’ll start a trend towards more morally correct candidates that don’t have a hundred skeletons in their closets, or illegal use of their charities, etc.

Yeah, I’m not seeing the slippery slope of “now everyone will be investigated even if they have done nothing wrong”

No. This is not “the future.” It is not in any way new. This is the ongoing reality of American politics. Every national politician has to explain everything they’ve ever done or not done - and that’s as it should be, because we’re their bosses and employees should be accountable to their bosses for their actions.

That’s why every US President since Nixon has released their tax returns (except Trump.)

That’s why Presidents put their assets into blind trusts while they’re President (except Trump.)

That’s why Presidents make their meeting schedules public (except Trump.)

Etc. etc.

(And honestly, this principle of strict accountability has worked well for Republicans for the last several decades. How much political hay have they made out of investigation #7,548 into Hillary Clinton - even though those investigations never found anything?)

What’s new, what’s different, what’s unusual is that we now have a President who looks at a long tradition of accountability in our democracy and says, “Fuck that. I’m not doing any of that shit. I’m going to use my ‘charity’ as my personal change purse, and all of you crybabies can go to hell.”