So I guess 2016 claimed its biggest victim yet - America

The man’s campaign slogan was more or less “Build a wall, deport em all, kick out the Muslims and grab em by the pussy.” No one who spent more than ten seconds paying attention to this election before they wandered into the booth could be ignorant of his hatred, and if someone managed to avoid even that little diligence, then fuck em for entirely different reasons.

Yeah, Trump spoke to hatred. His campaign platform was “whatever you hate, I hate too”.

Pretty sad that is the nature of so much of humanity. We probably deserve global climate change and the extinction event it really represents.

Don’t worry about it, trust in God! (That is what facebook is telling me anyways)

Well, I’m going to go to the gym. Exercise releases stress, and man do I need some stress relief.

Thanks. I do think it will matter who he puts around him. I also think that there is a good chance that after a few failures (no president gets what he wants) he may get frustrated with the job. Not being a professional politician he doesn’t understand what most of the job is.

I do think he could be a great front man though.

This. You don’t have to argue with someone to make change. You don’t need to belittle someone you disagree with. Hillary will regret the day she used “Deplorables” because they took it to heart. It became a badge of honor and represented to them how the left felt about them.

Problem is, it’s hard to engage people who chant “Jew-S-A” and give Nazi salutes. Or who threaten Muslims and immigrants with deportation, beatings, or worse. Or who categorically reject the idea of a woman as president, are virulently homophobic, and can’t be bothered to even open their eyes enough to see how they’ve been hosed by the very people that they support so fervently.

Yeah, I get it; we need to get along, and there sure is a hell of a lot of blame for the Dems in ignoring and basically humiliating a huge chunk of what they derisively called “flyover country.” This is very true. But it’s not that easy. People at my synagogue aren’t exactly in a mood to make nice with people who are virulently anti-semitic, and feeling more emboldened every day. My students of color aren’t exactly ready to sit down over coffee with people who say things like “If the niggers didn’t vote we wouldn’t have these problems.” So, how do we get over that?

Sure, there are people, many people, who don’t feel this way and voted for Trump because of very real and very valid feelings of disenfanchisement and betrayal by the establishment (never mind that in general it was mostly the GOP establishment that fucked them over). I’m more than happy to talk to these folks, but I have to ask them, was your feeling of being marginalized that bad, that you can in good conscience overlook not only what Trump himself says and does, but what the people who support him, and whom he refuses to distance himself from, also say and do? If someone is that bitter about how globalization and what not have treated them, that they can embrace or even tolerate the hatred and vitriol that Trump’s campaign spewed out, how in the hell are we supposed to have a dialog?

Tactically, yes. But a very good portion of Trump supporters are, in fact, deplorable.

How many of the 50+ million who voted for him? You gotta number?

Too fucking right, sir. Hear hear.

Just a ballpark estimate, but:

One is too fucking many.And the point stands: how do you tell? As I said, someone owns up that Trump is horrible and that his followers are often horrible, but makes the case that they had to do something, because (and this is true) there were jack all options for people in the forgotten middle to use to express their frustration, and yeah, I’ll listen. But it still demands a reckoning. Nothing the Dems did comes even remotely close to the vileness that the GOP spewed out this year. And thus, while I agree wholeheartedly we need to engage the middle of the country and make sure every American has a way forward, not just elites, I’ll be damned if I’ll pander to Nazis, racists, xenophobes, misogynists, and ignorant violent anti-intellectuals.

Two prime examples of why politics is in the condition is in today then. You are no better than the right winger who sees an illegal in every Latino.

Oh, get real. Read what I write, not what you think. The horrible behavior of the Trump campaign is documented fact. Someone who supports Trump, and doesn’t make an effort to distance themselves from the wretchedness of many of the supporters, and the implicit acceptance of it by the candidate, now President elect, seems to me to be a legitimate target of disdain. Why should I talk to someone who supports a man whose followers want to kill me? Seriously?

I get what you’re saying; we need to understand the legitimate concerns of all Americans. But the key is legitimate. The moment you start throwing in with the Aryan Nation and David Duke–and don’t disavow them hard and fast–you lose all legitimacy. Whether most of the people who voted for Trump actually believe that trash is irrelevant. Unless they’re brain dead, they KNEW what the context of his run for office was. They KNEW the types of people he was attracting. And it was ok with them, because no one matters but them, I guess. Maybe they rationalize it as just hot air; I cannot.

Yeah, pardon me if I’m not interested in discussion with the Trump supporter that was hoping we can all replace hate, fear, racism, etc with hope, love, etc on my FB feed this morning.

Are you friends with my sister??

Ahem, @Telefrog. Points Up

I know, I know, posturing for the base. But I’ve no doubt some significant number of these cretins want that outcome ASAP.

This election was a vindication of the core principle of Chickian mathematics. Namely, that there’s a 50% chance of any given outcome. Consider the likelihood that Trump would be elected. One of two things was going to happen: either a) he would win the election, or b) he would lose the election. There was a 100% chance that one of those two things will happen. And what is 100% divided by two? 50%. There was always and only a 50% chance that Donald Trump would win the 2016 election for Presidenet of the Untied States.

Also, what I make of the overall situation is that no one should ever listen to anything I say about politics. You can quote me on that!

-Tom

Science fools!

mic drop