So I guess 2016 claimed its biggest victim yet - America

Just in case it wasn’t a rhetorical question: 11 red states in that list (Texas, Florida, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, North Carolina, Arizona, Oklahoma, Alabama, Missouri, Michigan, Utah).

From http://www.electoral-vote.com

I am sure it depends upon the agency and the career path of the employee. I work in an agency with lots of seasonal and “lower” paid employees who tend to be fairly liberal. I can imagine other agencies with a more permanent work force may be different.

I’m going to be honest – the 90s was part of college, working 60-hour weeks as a newbie, heavy partying, marriage, and a newborn. I am routinely amazed at what I missed from that decade. I remember the X-Files and Nine Inch Nails, but not Freaks & Geeks, Everyone Loves Raymond, Blink-182 or Korn.

But again, the discussion back then was about violence in schools as an abstract crisis, not really about any one incident. Violent crimes and shootings on school property were peaking (though we didn’t know it then) and it was a regular talking-point in news broadcasts. Even taking Columbine out of the equation, a third again as many kids died on school grounds in the 1990s as in the 1980s, and twice as many as in the 1970s.

So there was lots of hand-wringing over keeping kids safe, talking heads making dire pronouncements, and stories about school districts installing metal detectors… over the course of the decade rather than any one single incident getting non-stop air-time.

Yeah, that’s fair. It was also about our experiences in school which is why Scuzz said what he did, not realizing 20 years ago puts us at Springfield and Columbine, and I was in school for one of those. And when Boys N the Hood came out, also when I was in school but a lot younger, there was all this discussion about gangs and inner city schools, and stuff I didn’t understand when I was young. When I was in high school, same time as Springfield, I did understand and my memories of where those discussions went, well there was a stark difference between those kids in the city and those poor kids in the burns, if the kids in cities were discussed at all. Again, my POV is from that as a kid in school becoming an adult, not one as a adult who might have discussed these things as peers.

As the former, I heard a lot of talk about only one of those groups and I saw only one of those groups on TV, and that hasn’t changed much in 20 years.

Sigh.

Are you sighing because I pulled the title from memory without looking it up. Does it help to tell you that I was like 10, and it wasn’t until years later I was even allowed to see it?

edit: fixed. I removed the i.

I’m sure the trickle-down must be starting any day now.

We aren’t doing the whole credit card debt thing again are we?

Nah, those were maxed out long ago.

Home equity won’t be up there either since so many people lost their homes and never got new ones. There’s a new group who haven’t lost their first homes yet. The banks call all the time trying to convince them to turn them into piggy banks… hopefully they resist this time.

I think in a lot of cases they don’t have much a choice. Wages have stagnated for decades while the cost of healthcare and housing has soared. The gap has to be filled somehow and Americans have already shifted to both parents earning an income, relying on credit cards to stretch from paycheck to paycheck, etc. The only option left in those cases is to start borrowing against the house, whether it be to pay for a new expense or simply dig themselves out of the hole the credit cards steadily dig.

I imagine that most of the folks in homeland security/intelligence agency tended to be conservative, and probably a fair amount of those folks in the justice department. I bet most FBI agents and prosecuting attorneys voted Republican. Why any career government employee would vote for Trump or Republican after these last years is a mystery.

Statistical school violence has decreased significantly in the last 20 years. I believe it probably peaked in the 1980s as Tin suggested, but I couldn’t quickly find the data.

Between 2000 and 2016, the rates of nonfatal victimization both at school and away from school declined for students ages 12–18. The rate of victimization at school declined 65 percent, and the rate of victimization away from school declined 72 percent.

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_cld.asp

It is just media attention that has caused the paranoia level to reach absurd levels. Deaths and injuries caused by drinking and drugs are almost two orders of magnitude higher and increasing. Of course, you wouldn’t possibly know this passed on media attention.

I note the phrase “non-fatal” multiple times in those stats, which given it looks like its from NCV surveys makes sense (hard to complete a survey when you’re dead). Do you know of a comparable data set that includes fatalities; I’d be curious to see what the mass shootings do to the numbers.

Now I don’t know of a source. I imagine its not reported separately, mostly because it is rounding error. Even if we assume that all 344 people killed in mass shooting in 2017 were killed at schools. The serious violent crime victimization at school would shoot up by .004/thousand.

Those “parents” sound like real winners. Idiots.

To be fair, Bing doesn’t suck any more. I still use Google though :D

Bing’s Image Search has always been far superior, and especially now that Google has actually gimped theirs.