So I guess 2016 claimed its biggest victim yet - America

Yeah that’s not concerning at all.
Christ.

Couple that with the court decision to allow the literally unconstitutional, illegal, heavily gerrymandered Republican-favoring state maps stand for the upcoming election, and you can begin to see what a fully empowered Republican power structure is capable of. Each day, it feels more and more like I’ve already voted in the last fair and open election I ever will.

I’ve seen more than one opinion piece cite North Carolina as the cautionary tale for the nation writ large. I think we’re horrifyingly close to realizing that - the Kavanaugh appointment seems like the final piece of the puzzle.

It’s worth noting I titled this thread without a shred of irony in my shriveled, black, fear-constricted, cholesterol-clogged heart:

Honestly, outside of military and law enforcement, I’d bet most federal employees lean Democrat.

I think you might be surprised. I always am when I see some hardcore Republican bitching about government spending, taxes and then… they work for the government. They’re different of course. The overspending is never on them.

Statistically, that’s true… but only because the federal workforce pretty much mirrors the US population, so there are more Democrats there than there are Republicans.

The military does lean Republican, at least in the enlisted ranks. The officer corps are more evenly split. Dunno about law enforcement… though I bet the FBI is starting to lean a bit towards the Dems nowadays…

I work in the Air Force’s Research Labs, which is chock-full of engineers, and we estimated our org probably went 70% for Trump. Those of us among the estimated 30% have enjoyed months of ribbing.

It does take a certain detachment from reality IMO to vote for the party that is programmatically hostile to govt and seeks to dramatically reduce the benefits, including pension, of federal workers.

There is no planet where ICE should have access to voter records.

By being fucking voters you’ve already proved you aren’t under ICE’s sphere of influence.

The best part is ICE is requesting this because they caught 19 illegal immigrants voting. A whole 19!!! (out of 4,769,640 total votes cast in 2016)

Exactly. Part of me knows that ICE has no business sifting through voter records. But part of me wants them to go through it all and find only a handful more.

Most of me doesn’t want to waste more government funding on this. But Republicans love to spend money.

Good god. The ICE thing is super chilling. And just supoaeing the records gets the job done because it scares off legitimate voters who feared they could be targeted based on race, etc

I assume ICE will set up checkpoints near polling places in some states.

I see what you did there.

They should take a page from Poe. Find a deep sub basement room, chain him up in it and then build the wall.

https://theblast.com/george-zimmerman-threats-beyonce-jay-z-trayvon-martin/

It’s not designed to find illegal immigrants. It’s designed to scare legal immigrants from voting or registering to vote. It’s just vote suppression again.